2014 Infiniti Q60 IPL
Infiniti added the Infiniti Performance Line (IPL) to its lineup back in 2011 when it started offering more aggressive look and with more power under the hood. However, for those of you who expect to see an ultra-high-performance version of the Q60, we have to let you know that the IPL is nothing like the BMW M4 or the Audi RS line when thinking in terms of its performance increases over the base model. The IPL is more like the 4 Series with the M-Sport package or the Audi S5.
The IPL version adds redesigned front and rear fascias, black elements here and there, specially designed wheels and, of course, some "IPL" badges. Infiniti also designed the interior to deliver more luxury and a sportier feel. Under the hood, the Q60 IPL gains a few ponies over the base model.
For 2014, the Q60 IPL is offered with two transmission options — a six-speed manual and a seven-speed automatic — with prices starting from $51,200.
Click past the jump to read more about the 2014 Infiniti Q60 IPL.
2014 Infiniti Q60 IPL
Horsepower @ RPM:348 @ 7400
Torque @ RPM:276 @ 5200
0-60 time:5 sec.
Top Speed:150 mph
The new Q60 IPL is distinguished by a more aggressive look than the standard Q60. It gets specially designed front and rear bumpers with integrated fog lights and black finishers, sculpted side sills, a rear spoilers and round chrome exhaust tips. The car sits on 19-inch, seven-spoke, graphite-finish wheels.
For the exterior, customers can choose between two colors: Graphite Shadow and Malbec Black.
2014 Infiniti Q60 IPL - Standard Exterior Features
- * Automatic on/off High Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-functional xenon headlights
- * Front fog lights
- * LED rear brake lights and center high-mounted stoplight (CHMSL)
- * Aluminum hood with gas struts to hold hood open
- * IPL aerodynamics with front and rear fascias, side sills and rear spoiler
- * Power sliding tinted glass moonroof with one-touch open/close, tilt feature and sliding sunshade
- * Remote power-opening of windows using Infiniti Intelligent Key; closing via key in exterior door lock
- * Dual power outside mirrors
- * Heated outside mirrors
- * Speed-sensing flat-blade variable intermittent front windshield wipers
- * Rear window defroster with indicator light and timer
- * Unique IPL emblem
- * IPL larger diameter dual chrome exhaust finishers
2014 Infiniti Q60 IPL - Exterior Dimensions
|Coefficient of drag (Cd)||0.32|
|Overall length (inches)||185.1|
|Overall width (inches)||71.8|
|Overall height (inches)||54.9|
|Track width (inches) Front||60.8|
|Track width (inches) Rear||61.4|
Just like with the exterior, Infiniti offers two colors for the interior: Graphite and Monaco Red.
The front seats and the steering wheel are wrapped in high-quality leather with red stitching. Infiniti also adds in aluminum pedals and solid-magnesium paddle shifters for models with the seven-speed automatic transmission. The steering wheel features wheel-mounted audio and cruise controls, while the audio navigation offers voice recognition.
2014 Infiniti Q60 IPL - Standard Interior Features:
- * Leather-appointed seating
- * Red-stitched sport front seats
- * 12-way power driver’s sport seat, including 2-way power lumbar support with manual thigh extension, power torso and thigh support adjustment; 8-way power front-passenger’s sport seat with manual thigh extender
- * Dual occupant memory system for driver’s seat, steering wheel and outside mirrors, linked to individual Intelligent Keys
- * Driver’s seat, steering wheel and outside mirror position synchronization
- * Heated front seats
- * Silk Obi aluminum interior trim
- * Leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel with red stitching; leather shift knob with aluminum accent
- * Aluminum door sill kick plates with Infiniti logo
- * Aluminum pedals and footrest
2014 Infiniti Q60 IPL - Interior Dimensions:
|Headroom (inches) Front||37.7|
|Headroom (inches) Rear||34.5|
|Legroom (inches) Front||43.8|
|Legroom (inches) Rear||29.8|
|Shoulder room (inches) Front||53.7|
|Shoulder room (inches) Rear||52.7|
|Hip room (inches) Front||53.4|
|Hip room (inches) Rear||48.2|
Under the hood, the 2014 Q60 IPL uses the same 3.7-liter, V-6 engine from the base Q60, but IPL recalibrated its air-fuel mixture and ignition timing to tweak the engine to 348 horsepower and 276 pound-feet of torque — an 18-horsepower and 6-pound-feet jump from the base Q60.
The Q60 IPL comes standard with a seven-speed automatic transmission, but buyers can opt for a six-speed manual gearbox and a lower price.
2014 Infiniti Q60 IPL - Drivetrain Specifications
|Engine||3.7-liter (3,696 cc), 24-valve, V-6|
|Fuel Economy (City/Highway)||17/25|
|Horsepower||348 @ 7,400 RPM|
|Torque (LB.-FT.)||276 @ 5,200 RPM|
|Transmission||Electronically controlled seven-speed automatic transmission|
|Drive type||Rear-wheel drive|
|Acceleration (0-60 MPH)||5 seconds|
|Top speed||150 MPH|
|Infiniti Q60 IPL Coupe 6MT||$51,200|
|Infiniti Q60 IPL Coupe||$53,100|
|Stainless Steel Illuminated Kick Plates||$340|
|Midnight Black Grille||$393|
|Interior Ambient Lighting||$110|
|R Spec High-Friction Brake Pads||$356|
|Carpeted Trunk Mat, Trunk Net and First Aid Kit||$200|
The Audi S5 Coupe is powered by a 3.0-liter, V-6 engine that produces 333 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque. Sure, the horsepower may be a little lower, but the extra torque and quattro system allows it to hit 60 mph in just 4.9 seconds to go along with a top speed of 155 mph.
The S5 Coupe is priced from $52,000.
The M Performance package on the 2014 4 Series can bump it to as much as 340 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque. However, this kit is still on the table and BMW hasn’t officially laid out the entire package. Moving down a notch to the 435i with the M Sport package still nets a good competitor, as the 435i cranks out 300 horsepower between 5,800 to 6,000 rpm and 295 pound-feet of torque between 1,300 and 5,000 rpm.
In its base format, the 435i hits 60 mph in 5.3 seconds with the manual transmission or 5 seconds with the automatic. With xDrive, the 435i drops to 5 seconds with a manual transmission and 4.7 seconds with the automatic transmission.
The 435i starts at $46,000, plus $3,100 for the M Sport package. The 435i xDrive starts at $48,000, plus the same $3,100 for the M Sport package.
While the IPL is not a real high-performance alternative for the Q60 in the same way the M is for the BMW models and the S line for Audi, it indeed offers a pretty cool list of updates for those seeking for a better looking Infiniti model. The only problem is that those updates came with a price increase of about $10k: $51,200 versus the base $40,400.