2014 Lexus IS F
The Lexus IS F hit the market in the 2008 model year as Lexus’ answer to the M3 and the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG. With its more aggressive look and fire-breathing 5.0-liter, V-8 engine that produced 416 horsepower and 371 pound-feet of torque. It’s power was certainly enough to put it in the M3’s class, but it simply didn’t have the following of the legendary M3.
We were all hoping to see the IS F receive the same redesign that the other models within the IS lineup — IS 250 and IS 350 — but oddly enough, Lexus chose to carry the IS F into 2014 with the same design as 2013.
Fortunately, Lexus did add in a few minor updates to the 2014 IS F, but this is limited to just revised standard features, a new spoiler and a better-equipped interior.
Are these updates enough to retain the attention of buyers, or will they simply overlook the old-looking IS F?
Click past the jump to find out.
2014 Lexus IS F
Transmission:Eight-speed Sport Direct Shift automatic
Horsepower @ RPM:416 @ 6600
Torque @ RPM:371 @ 5200
0-60 time:4.6 sec.
Quarter Mile time:13 sec.
Top Speed:170 mph
We’ll start with the most disappointing news on the 2014 IS F. Lexus is carrying over the exterior look of the IS F with not a single notable change. This means that the IS F will sit next to the completely updated Lexus lineup without any of the new goodies, like the spindle grille and tight body lines. Rather, the IS F will be nearly indistinguishable from its debut year, which is a rather odd move, given the soon-to-be-released M3 will carry a fairly significant update.
The lack of a new body can only mean that Lexus is running into big-time issues with getting the new IS F completed. So, expect the 2014 model to only hang on for a few months before Lexus rolls out the fully revised 2015 model.
The only changes — yes, there are two — is the addition of LED fog lights and a new carbon-fiber rear spoiler.
|Overall Length||183.5 in.|
|Overall Width||71.5 in.|
|Overall Height (unloaded)||55.7 in.|
|Tread Width||Front: 61.4 in. / Rear: 59.6 in.|
|Curb Weight||3,780 lbs.|
|Weight Distribution (front/rear)||54/46|
|Coefficient of Drag (Cd)||0.30|
2014 Lexus IS F - Standard Exterior Features
- Automated rain-sensing wipers
- Heated, auto-dimming outside mirrors with integrated puddle lamps
- 19-inch forged aluminum wheels manufactured for Lexus by BBS
- Bi-xenon HID, auto-leveling headlamps
- Color-keyed electrochromic outside rearview mirrors with memory
- Distinctive F marque styling cues with two-inch wider fenders, taller hood, enlarged brake cooling vents, front
fender vents, larger rocker panels, and a carbon fiber rear spoiler (clear coated)
- “F” badging on front fenders and right-rear trunk area
- Fog lamps (bulbs changed to LEDs)
Also basically carried over into 2014 is the IS F’s interior, but it did receive a few more updates than the exterior. The 2014 IS F’s interior features a two-tone upholstery design and aluminized composite trimming.
The biggest update to the interior for 2014 is the addition of "F" logos on the headrests. These "F" logos accompany the same ones found on the 2013 model’s steering wheel and rear-center console. The 2014 model also gains Alcantara covering on the door panels and center console cover, black full-aniline leather seats, and black Alcantara inserts with red perforations and black-leather-trimmed headrests on the red leather seating package.
|Front||37.2 in. (39.0 in. without moonroof)|
|Rear||36.7 in. (36.9 in. without moonroof)|
|EPA Passenger Volume||85.7cu. ft. (88.3 without moonroof)|
|EPA Cargo Volume||13.3 cu. ft.|
2014 Lexus IS F - Standard Interior Features
- SmartAccess keyless entry
- Push-button start
- 10-way power front seats
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with a pollen filter and smog detector
- Power moonroof with one-touch open/close and seven open-position settings
- Power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel
- Three-position memory function for front seats, steering wheel and mirrors
- All power windows with automatic up/down operation and jam protection
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror with a HomeLink programmable garage door opener
- Lexus Premium Audio System features a six-disc, in-dash CD changer
- 13 speakers
- USB/iPod connectivity
- Streaming audio via Bluetooth
- Integrated SirusXM Satellite Radio receiver (complimentary 90-day trial subscription included).
2014 Lexus IS F - Optional Interior Features
- 14-speaker, Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound Audio System
- Intuitive Park Assist (IPA) system
- Lexus Navigation system with Voice Command casual-language voice recognition
- Rear back-up camera (included with the available navigation system)
Drivetrain, Suspension and Brakes
Under the hood, the 2014 IS F continues with the same 5.0-liter, V-8 engine that the 2013 model had. This gives the peppy sedan at 416 horsepower at 6,600 rpm and 371 pound-feet of torque at 5,200 rpm.
The V-8 powerplant hooks up to an eight-speed, Sport Direct Shift automatic transmission with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters, and the power travels through a Torsen differential before hitting the rear wheels. The transmission offers up two modes: "M" and "D."
In "D," the transmission works as normal, and is suitable for comfortable road use. When you drop it into "M" mode, however, the IS F becomes the racing sedan we all want it to be, as it holds gears to the 6,800 rpm redline, shifts gears in one-tenth of a second and blips the throttle on downshift to match the transmission speed and engine rpm for excellent exit speed in the twist.
Up front, the IS F features a double-wishbone suspension setup, and the rear features a multi-link setup. To help set the IS F apart from the rest of the IS lineup, Lexus adds in special rear control arms, high-rate springs, monotube dampers and larger stabilizer bars.
The suspension system teams up with a staggered-rim setup that puts 19-by-8.5-inch rims up front and 19-by-9.5-inch wheels out back. These rims are wrapped up in 225/40R19 and 255/35R19 tires, respectively.
Finally, the fun comes to end end by way of a Brembo brake system that includes a set of six-pot, aluminum caliper up front squeezing 14.2-inch vented and drilled discs, and twin-pot calipers out back putting the squeeze to a set of 13.6-inch rotors that are also vented and drilled.
Tying all of these systems together is Lexus’ Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system, which anticipates skidding or sliding and adjusts the braking, steering and throttle to help prevent the IS F from losing control.
|Displacement||5.0 liters (4,969 cm3/303.2 cu. in.)|
|Bore x Stroke||3.70 in. x 3.52 in.|
|Horsepower (SAE)||416 @ 6,600 RPM|
|Torque||371 lb.-ft. @ 5,200 RPM|
|Maximum Engine Speed (redline)||6,800 RPM|
|Transmission Type||Eight-speed Sport Direct Shift automatic with paddle shift and manual mode|
|0-60 mph Acceleration||4.6 Sec.|
|Top Track Speed||170 MPH (Limited)|
|Quarter-Mile Acceleration||13.0 Sec.|
|EPA Estimated Fuel Economy (city/highway/combined mpg)||16/23/18|
The NHTSA and IIHS have yet to put the IS F to the test, but they did test the 2014 IS 250. The NHTSA gave the 2014 IS 250 an overall five-star rating, with its only flaw being a four-star rating in the frontal crash test.
The IIHS, on the other hand, gave the IS 250/350 a rather low rating, as it received a "Good" rating in the front and side crash tests, but score just "Acceptable " in roof strength and head restraints and seats, and "Poor" in the small overlap rating. These ratings put it at the bottom of the midsize luxury safety list last year.
2014 Lexus IS F - Standard Safety Equipment
- Direct Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Driver and front passenger knee airbags SRS
- Dual-stage driver’s and front passenger’s airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS)
- Front and rear door side impact beams
- Front and rear energy-managing crumple zones
- Front and rear side curtain airbags SRS
- Front seat-mounted side airbag SRS
- Front ventilated and rear ventilated disc brakes with single brake booster and four-sensor, four-channel Antilock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA)
- Impact absorbing door and body construction
- LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
- Three-point belts for all seating positions, front and rear with force-limiting pretensioners; height adjustable front shoulder belt anchors
- Traction Control (TRAC)
- Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)
- Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) with cut-off switch
The 2014 Lexus IS F comes in at a base price of $63,350.
BMW literally just released some of the official details on the 2014 M3, which included the fact that the M3 will use an in-line six-cylinder M TwinPower Turbo engine that produces about 430 horsepower and about 369 pound-feet of torque.
On top of the new engine, the M3 also gets the new BMW look that includes the to-the-grille headlights and the slightly revised kidney grille. Plain and simple, the new M3 trumps the carryover IS F by a long shot.
Also revised for 2014 is the Cadillac CTS, which ushers in the all-new Vsport variant. This beastly sedan not only looks stunning, but it also pumps out 420 horsepower from its 3.6.-liter, twin-turbocharged V-6 engine. This is enough to sprint the CTS Vsport to 60 mph in just 4.6 seconds.
We’re scratching our heads here about Lexus carrying the IS F over for 2014. With the 2014 IS 250 and 350 boasting an all-new design, the IS F will simply look old on dealership lots. Why buy a new one when you can roll over to the used car lot and snag up a 2008 model that looks and performs identically? We’re certainly not fans and we’re sure that Lexus is a little concerned (embarrassed) that the IS F will stand out like a sore thumb on dealer lots. We’re also sure that the 2015 IS F will likely roll out very early in 2014.