2014 - 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
Mitsubishi’s biggest seller brings a number of new updates for 2014 to increase refinement, style and interior technology. Both models move up a notch in driving ability, helping maintain the 2014 Outlander Sport’s class-leading status among the compact crossover market segment.
A new LED running light design is available up front, along with some snazzy blue LED brake lights out back for 2014. A black leading edge of the roof is also quite stylish, and marks out the Outlander Sport SE at the top of the range. In the top trim level, the 2014 model year also brings better leather and a a standard display audio screen.
All Outlander Sports now pack a new balancer shaft for the engine, extra insulation and redesigned steering wheel controls. Overall, the Outlander Sport is still one of the sportiest and best-handling compact crossovers out there.
Updated 02/06/2015; Mitsubishi announced that its Outlander Sport lineup will be expanded with the addition of a more powerful 2.4 version, which gets of course a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine. The new engine delivers an extra 20 horsepower over the base 2.0-liter engine. Prices for the new 2.4 version will start from $21,295 for the 2.4 ES and $23,595 for the 2.4 GT version.
Click past the jump for the full review of the 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, with all the updates for this model year, options info, and pricing data on the optional huge glass roof
2014 - 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
Transmission:5-Speed Manual (Auto Opt.)
Horsepower @ RPM:148
Torque @ RPM:145
0-60 time:9.5 sec. (Est.)
Top Speed:108 mph (Est.)
Layout:Front-engine, Front-drive (AWD Opt.)
The Outlander Sport is largely the same cute SUV design it was when arriving new last year. The grille carries the Evolution’s shape for its single frame, but adds some chrome trim and body-color accents for a more refined aesthetic.
It is handsome on the standard alloy wheels, with a rising swage line and chopped overhangs to convey this model’s sportiness.
One idea for buyers who want to personalize their Outlander Sport is to wrap the lower bumper piece in a dark graphite shade. The H360 Custom Outlander Sport shows how much this 5-minute change can improve the road presence of this fun little truck.
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport H360 Custom Summer Edition - Graphite Bumper Detail
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport - New or Updated Features
- Audio system head unit (ES model)
- Engine balancer shaft (all models)
- Newly designed steering wheel with audio controls (all models)
- Improved sound insulation (all models)
- HD Radio (SE model)
- 6.1-in. touchscreen display audio system with rearview camera (SE model)
- MMCS navigation system with 7-in. high definition touch panel, voice command, 3D mapping, point-of-interest information, real-time traffic and Mapcare (with SE Touring Package)
- Black leather seating (with SE Touring Package)
- Power adjustable driver’s seat (with SE Premium Package)
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport - Exterior Options
- LED Daytime Running Lights Package ($595): LED DRLs; front corner extensions
- LED Illumination Package adds: Front floor illumination (Blue LED); tailgate light (Blue LED); LED Interior lights
- Exterior Package adds: Large rear spoiler; front and rear undercover; alloy fuel door
- Protection Package adds: Bright tailgate protector; rear bumper plate; scuff plate covers
- Rear Park Assist Sensor Package adds: Rear park assist sensors (color-key)
- Alloy Fuel Door
- Roof Rack Crossbars
- Body Side Moldings
- All-weather Floormats (4)
- Fog Lamps
- Wheel Locks
It is all about upgrading the interior’s comfort and technology for 2014. All models bring a far improved insulation package to dampen any road or wind noise down to near-luxury levels.
Both the base ES and the up-level SE trims get new standard head unit designs for 2014, with the SE coming standard with a display audio screen. Both trims can be upgraded to a 7-inch MMCS navigation system, and the Touring package is a biggie at just under $5,000 for everything Mitsubishi offers.
The key options are available individually, however, with the huge moonroof a particular favorite. It is a highly refined design that looks like it is from the Audi Q7.
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport - Interior Dimensions
|Seating Capacity - Front||2|
|Seating Capacity - Rear||3|
|Cargo Capacity - Rear Seats Down (cubic-feet)||49.5|
|Cargo Capacity - Rear Seats Up (cubic-feet)||21.7|
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport - Standard Interior Features
- Air conditioning with pollen filter
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- Chrome grille surround
- 18-in. alloy wheels
- Soft-touch instrument panel trim
- 4 speaker 140-watt AM/FM/CD/MP3 audio system
- Roof carrier plug-in accommodation
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
- Active Stability Control (ASC)
- Heated outside mirrors
- Advanced front air bag SRS with passenger weight and driver’s seat position sensors, front seat mounted side-impact air bags and curtain side air bags with roll-over sensors
- Electric Power Steering (EPS)
- Remote keyless entry with panic feature
- High-contrast gauge meters with full-color LCD Multi-Information Display
- FUSE Hands-Free Link System w/USB port
- Steering-wheel mounted audio and cruise control
- Two 12-volt power outlets
SE adds over ES:
- Super-wide beam High-Intensity Discharge (S-HID) headlights,
- 6 speaker 6.1-in. touchscreen display audio system
- SIRIUSXM satellite radio with 3-month pre-paid subscription
- HD Radio
- Rearview camera
- FAST-key passive entry system
- One-touch Start/Stop (OSS) engine switch
- Large center console with sliding armrest
- Heated front seats
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Auto on/off headlight control
- Fog lamps with chrome accent
- Chrome exterior beltline molding
- Automatic climate control
- Exhaust outlet with chrome tip
New for 2015
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport 2.4 ES
- Black center bumper
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport 2.4 GT
- Power driver’s seat
- Leather-wrapped parking brake handle
- Aluminum pedals
- Black center bumper along
- Black roof rails
- Outside mirrors with LED turn indicators
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport - Optional Moonroof
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport - Interior Options
- Cargo Package ($225): Reversible cargo mat; cargo net; tonneau cover
- All Weather Package ($650): Remote engine start; all-weather floormats (4)
- Navigation Package: MMCS Navigation system with 7-in. high definition touch panel, voice command, 3D mapping, point-of-interest information, real-time traffic and Mapcare
- Premium Package (SE Only, $1,000): 710-watt Rockford Fosgate premium sound system with 9 speakers including 10-in. dual-voice coil subwoofer with Punch Control, DTS Neural Surround, PremiDIA-WIDE surround, and Dolby Volume; auto dimming rearview mirror; power-adjustable driver’s seat
- Premium Package w/Panoramic Glass Roof (SE Only, $2,100): Panoramic glass roof with adjustable LED mood lighting; black roof rails; 710-watt Rockford Fosgate premium sound system with 9 speakers including 10-in. dual-voice coil subwoofer with Punch Control, DTS Neural Surround, PremiDIA-WIDE surround, and Dolby Volume; auto dimming rearview mirror; power-adjustable driver’s seat
- Touring Package (SE Only, $4,900): MMCS Navigation system with 7-in. high definition touch panel, voice command, 3D mapping, point-of-interest information and real-time traffic; leather seating surfaces; panoramic glass roof with adjustable LED mood lighting; black roof rails; 710-watt Rockford Fosgate premium sound system with 9 speakers including 10-in. dual-voice coil subwoofer with Punch Control, DTS Neural Surround, PremiDIA-WIDE surround, and Dolby Volume; auto dimming rearview mirror; power-adjustable driver’s seat
- Interior Package adds (CVT only, $295): Piano black audio surround and shift panel overlay; aluminum-alloy & leather combination shift knob.
Drivetrain, Suspension and Brakes
The Outlander Sport’s powertrains are carryover for 2014, aside from the new shift paddles on all automatic-transmission trim levels. The Outlander Sport is not a potent machine, but does have plenty of torque to keep ahead of traffic and a keen handling attitude that makes this a far tighter mountain drive than the Jeep Patriot.
The Outlander Sport is down quite a bit on power versus the Nissan Juke, but it is quite frugal in all its trim levels. Sprint pace is an estimated 9.5 seconds to 60 mph, before topping out at an estimated 108 mph.
The standard five-speed manual on the front-drive ES base model is actually a bit quicker than the rest, thanks to much less weight from lack of an automatic transmission and AWD system. Mitsubishi calls its four-paw setup AWC, just to make things that little bit more special. AWC claims to use some of the torque vectoring logic from the firm’s legendary Lancer Evolution.
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport - Performance Details
|Engine||2.0-liter 16-valve I-4 With DOHC|
|Powertrain Layout||Front-engine, Front-drive (AWD Opt.)|
|0-60 mph (Seconds)||9.5, est|
|Top Speed (MPH)||108, est|
|EPA Fuel Economy MPG (City/Highway/Combined) - Manual FWD||24/30/26|
|EPA Fuel Economy MPG (City/Highway/Combined) - Automatic AWD||24/29/26|
|EPA Fuel Economy MPG (City/Highway/Combined) - Automatic AWD||24/31/27|
The Outlander Sport is a Top Safety Pick Plus from IIHS, which is the highest possible score and a rare achievement for any compact or crossover.
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport - Safety Features
- Advanced front airbags, Front side-impact airbags and side-impact air curtains with rollover protection, Driver knee airbag
- Available Electronically controlled AWC system
- Active Stability Control (ASC)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) w/ Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) & Brake Assist
- Hill Start Assist
- Traction Control Logic (TCL)
- Active front seat headrests
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- 3-point seatbelts for all 5 seating positions
- Engine immobilizer and anti-theft alarm system
- Child-safety rear door locks
- LATCH child safety seat anchors & upper tethers
- Remote fuel lid opener
- Front seat-belt pretensioners with force limiters
- Collapsible steering column and foldaway brake pedal assembly
- Side-impact door beams
Pricing and Availability
The Outlander Sport is priced from just $19,470 up to about $24,000 for the top SE AWC trim level.
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport - Price
|2014 Mitsubishi Pricing||Transmission||MSRP|
|Outlander Sport ES 2WD - DOHC I4 MIVEC||5-Speed Manual||$19,470|
|Outlander Sport ES 2WD - DOHC I4 MIVEC||CVT Auto with Paddle Shifters||$20,670|
|Outlander Sport ES AWC - DOHC I4 MIVEC||CVT Auto with Paddle Shifters||$22,070|
|Outlander Sport SE AWC - DOHC I4 MIVEC||CVT Auto with Paddle Shifters||$23,995|
The Patriot has a new Freedom Edition for 2014 that includes some military-inspired "Oscar Mike" decals and polished wheels. For anyone without loyalty to the Jeep brand: Liberate yourself from considering this ancient clunker in favor of the tight and nimble Outlander Sport.
The Juke’s fun-loving attitude and size is right on top of the Outlander Sport, but the interior roominess of the Juke falls far short of the Mitsu. The new Juke Nismo brings even more sportiness to the package, but the Juke also uses a CVT automatic.
Versus the Outlander Sport, the Juke’s unusual styling may put some buyers off.
The new hotness in compact cars is not a car at all: the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is able to deliver big-car views in traffic, confident handling and great technology at prices that overlap with the undesirable Chevrolet Cruze sedan.
Among young shoppers, this little SUV brings all the safety and style buyers want, and the fuel economy they need. The Outlander Sport’s legendary durability and light off-roading credentials are a welcome feature of the new car market. And with pricing under $20,000, the Outlander Sport is a fantastic little truck.