Introduced for the 1964 season, the state-of-the-art 904 Carrera GTS represented an exciting new era for Porsche racing cars. The first “plastic” Porsche, the 904 featured an aerodynamic body constructed in lightweight fiberglass and was powered by the final evolution of the famed Fuhrman four-cam engine. This particular car was one of the first examples completed and served as a Porsche works car from April 1964 until January 1965, during which time it achieved remarkable results, including second place finishes at the Targa Florio and the Monte Carlo Rally. The 904 was also entered in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Nürburgring 1000 Kilometers and the Tour de France. With only 107 examples of the 904 Carrera GTS built and only nine ever used by the factory for competition purposes, this 1964 example finds itself at or near the top of an elite list of desirable racing Porsches.