2011 RUF RGT-8
A brief history lesson: Did you know that RUF’s first RGT model was based on the Porsche 996 and that it was launched a decade ago? If you did know that, then you probably also know that ten years later - that’s this year - RUF has announced the next generation of RGT - the RGT-8 - a tuning kit based on the new Porsche 911.
Production will begin in 2011.
Powered by a 4.5-liter V8 engine that has been tuned to deliver 550bhp at 8500rpm and 500Nm of torque at 5400rpm with its power sent through a 6-speed gearbox with shortened gear shift movement to the rear axle, the RGT-8 is, in one word, spectacular.
Completing RUF’s new tuning kit are special front fenders, nose and dashboard components, as well as a set of specially-designed 19-inch RUF forged alloy wheels.
Press release after the jump.
2011 RUF RGT-8
Almost 10 years ago to the day, RUF began to fill niches in the market with the, at that time new, water-cooled Porsche models. The first RUF RGT was based on the Porsche 996. It used the 3.6 litre engine from the GT3 as the base with the crankcase from the air-cooled 3.6 litre engines. The engine delivered 283kW (385bhp). The car itself ran on 18 inch RUF alloy wheels and the narrow body was optimised aerodynamically. The vehicle was fitted with a discrete but functional integrated roll cage.
In 2004 the story continued, this time based on the Porsche 997. Immediately recognisable by the screwed-on carbon composite fender extensions both front and rear. The power plant was a naturally aspirated 3.8 litre unit delivering 327kW (445bhp). A dry-sump oil system ensured sufficient lubrication even under tough racing conditions.
A roll-cage was fitted as standard ensuring a high level of passive safety. The RGT was supplied with a chassis optimised for the race track and ran on 19 inch alloy wheels.
March 2010 and the time is right for RUF to announce the next generation of RGT, the RGT-8. This spectacular prototype vehicle is powered by a completely new RUF designed V8 engine with a 180° crankshaft “Flatcrank”. Four valves arranged spherically together with multipoint fuel injection ensure optimal mixture conditions while the dry-sump system supplies the necessary lubrication. The lightweight engine has a very compact design, has a capacity of 4.5 litres arranged as a V8 and delivers 404kW (550bhp) @ 8500rpm and complements with a maximum torque of 500Nm @ 5400rpm. At all stages of the design process, compactness and weight saving were of priority, the result of which is a total engine weight of less than 200kg. A 6 speed gearbox with shortened gear shift movement transfers the power to the rear axle. To ensure the best adhesion characteristics, the RGT-8 is supplied with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires running on 19 inch RUF forged alloy wheels utilising a single central retaining nut. The powertrain is rounded off with sturdy ceramic brakes as standard for optimal braking.
The current Porsche 911 forms the basis for the RGT-8 chassis which is then further optimised with bodywork components from RUF. As always, an integrated roll-cage is supplied delivering increased chassis stability and passive safety. In addition, we are pleased to offer a Frère package which enhances the standard vehicle with special front fenders, nose and dashboard components. The styling was inspired by the 550 Coupé with which Paul Frère, the Belgian race driver, won the best of class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1953.
The RUF RGT-8 production start is planned for 2011.
- 2 seated coupé with integrated roll-cage
- 2 racing type bucket seats
- Aluminium doors and front hood
- Carbon fibre engine cover and rear spoiler
- Lightweight-8-Cylinder-90°-engine with racing DNA
- 180° crankshaft “Flatcrank”
- 4,5 Liter displacement
- Power output 404 kW (550 bhp) @ 8500rpm
- Maximum torque 500 Nm @ 5400rpm
- Aluminium crankcase and cylinder heads
- Water cooled, cylinderheads and engineblock cross flowed
- 4-valve system with spherical layout
- 4 camshafts with hydraulically timed valve system for in- and outlet
- Hydraulic valve tappets
- Dry sump oil lubrication with two windage trays for each of the 4 chambers
- Individual chamber oil suction with 2 suction intakes
- Waterpump, generator and AC compressor are directly driven of the Engine (no belts), located at the lowest position
- Sequential fuel injection system
- Individual cylinder ignition coils
- Electronic engine management system
- Electronic throttle control system per bank with 2 butterflies
- 3-Way catalytic converters with stereo closed loop lambda control
- On-Board-Diagnosis for continuous monitoring of the exhaust system
- Rear wheel drive with 6 speed manual gearbox
- Electronic stability control system, ABS, traction control, automatic limited-slip differential
- RUF high performance brakes with ceramic discs,
- perforated and air cooled
- Front brake disc diameter 380 mm
- Rear brake disc diameter 350 mm
- Forged RUF alloy wheels with single central retaining nut
- Front : 9Jx19 with 245/35 ZR 19
- Rear : 12Jx19 with 325/30 ZR 19
- Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires