2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI A-Line
Our mouths started to water when we got word of a new special edition Subaru WRX STI. Then we started to tear up when we heard it would be designated Japan-only. Then we found out the only thing that really makes the Impreza WRX STI A-Line special is that it has a five speed automatic transmission. So we wet ourselves from laughing so hard at anyone who would think this is a good idea.
The A-Line uses the same 2.5-liter turbo from the standard WRX to make 300 hp (down 5 hp from the U.S. spec WRX). Aside from the slushbox, there is little to differentiate the A-Line from the rest of the WRX STIs except for a new paint color called "Satin White Pearl". Maybe this is so we can identify the manual tranny virgins.
Japan can keep this one.
Press release after the jump.
2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI A-Line
Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today launches "Subaru Impreza WRX A-Line" which is a new addition to the current WRX STI model. The model goes on sale nationwide through Subaru dealerships today in Japan.
Based on the Impreza WRX STI, the WRX STI A-Line model was developed to offer its distinctive driving performance to a wider range of customers by integrating 2.5-litre turbocharged Boxer engine and 5 Speed Automatic Transmission with SPORTSHIFT. In addition, the current WRX STI was given some refinements to enhance comfort and quality feel; 8 way power adjustable front seats and a new body color, "Satin White Pearl", is now available.
Outline of Subaru Impreza WRX STI A-Line
The model features the exclusively developed 2.5-litre Subaru BOXER turbo engine with SPORTSHIFT E-5AT, while retaining the basic component such as chassis and body of the WRX STI, Subaru’s performance flagship.
- The unique 2.5-litre BOXER engine comes with a single scroll turbocharger and produces a flat torque from the low and mid-rev range to high-rev range.
- Dual Active Valve Control System (AVCS) was adopted to control continuously valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves, which improves low and mid-range range torque, high-rev range output and environmental friendliness.
- Tumble Generation Valve (TGV) controls the intake air stream to generate high combustion efficiency.
- SI-DRIVE (SUBARU Intelligent Drive), that enables the drivers to choose three different engine mappings, is standard.
- Paddle shift is featured to allow manual shifting without requiring the driver to release the steering wheel.
- Downshifting Blipping Control system was adopted. When down-shifting, the automatic transmission control unit interacts with the engine management system and increases engine revolutions instantly and to the exact required setting.
- Changing gears with the paddle shift can also be done by a temporary operation that does not require the selection lever to be set to the manual position.
- VTD (Variable Torque Distribution)-AWD system was adopted to provide excellent stability of the vehicle, which controls the torque distribution ratio between the front and rear axles depending on driving conditions.
- 17-inches ventilated dual piston disk brakes for the front, and 16-inches ventilated disk brakes for the rear were fitted.
- * VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control) System is standard.
- 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat is standard. Leather seats are available as optional and include (front) seat heating. Soft leather door trim with silver stitch is featured.
- Engine type: Horizontally-Opposed 4-cylinder DOHC 16-valve turbocharged engine
- Displacement: 2457 cc
- Maximum output: 221kW (300 PS)/6200 rpm
- Maximum torque: 350 Nm (35.7 kgf·m)/2800-6000 rpm
- Turbo type: Single Scroll turbocharger