2007 Volkswagen Beetle
Since 1998 it has been a fixture on our streets: the New Beetle In mid 2005, the Volkswagen cult-car was optically ‘sharpened’ in the style of the New Beetle Ragster study. With sure instinct the Volkswagen designers enhanced the level of the successful series. New lights, refined lines, a fresh color palette as well as new fabric seat covers are just a few of the details that were changed. Add to that a new wheel and a performance-optimized TDI motor. Altogether this results in a successful facelift that has made the appearance of the New Beetle even more concise.
2007 Volkswagen Beetle
Horsepower @ RPM:150 @ 5,000
Torque @ RPM:170 @ 3,750
0-60 time:8.4 sec.
Top Speed:127 mph
The New Beetle and New Beetle convertible have always been real head-turners, whether they were seen as hardtop or convertible - top up or down. The 2007 Beetle is more eye-catching than ever, in vibrant new hues.
The New Beetle sedan is available in two additional exterior colors: a new Black and Laser Blue. The New Beetle convertible adds to the outside color palate with Sunflower and Gecko Green, along with the new Black and Laser Blue. On all 2007 Beetles, there’s a new finish to available 16-inch alloy wheels.
Inside, revised stitching on the leatherette seating results in a new look. Leather seating is also available. In a nod to the importance that New Beetle and New Beetle convertible drivers place on their music, Volkswagen designers put the auxiliary input jack in a more visible location.
The 2007 New Beetle and New Beetle convertible are available at Volkswagen dealers now, with a starting price of $17,180 for the hard-top and $22,120 for the soft-top.
From the sides, a character line plays off the fenders and a relatively flat mid-body, and presents a “hunkered down” look. Black roof trim now frames the familiar silhouette.
As you would expect from Volkswagen, the interior of the car has been given thorough attention. The newest interpretation of the iconic interior includes single-bezel instrument cluster
housing a large, easy-to-read, 140 mile-per-hour speedometer and a smaller tachometer and fuel gauge. Chrome accents enhance the instrument cluster and the dashboard air vents.
A two-speed windshield wiper system with a four-speed intermittent wipe feature is speed-sensitive, adapting the pause interval to any change in rate of vehicle travel. A large assist handle across the instrument panel above the glove box and two rear-passenger assist straps located on the B-pillar on hardtop models ensure interior comfort.
The 2007 New Beetle and New Beetle convertible are offered with the advanced Volkswagen 2.5-liter, in-line, five-cylinder gasoline engine. The 2.5 L engine delivers 150 horsepower at 5,000 revolutions per minute and 170 lbs.-ft. of torque at 3,750 rpm.
With four valves per cylinder, aluminum alloy cross flow heads and double overhead camshafts, the engine is strong, quiet, and efficient. Hydraulic lifters are maintenance-free. Digital electronic ignition and Motronic sequential multi-point fuel injection help allow the engine to operate on regular unleaded gasoline.
Power is delivered to the front wheels using one of two transmissions. A five-speed manual transmission operates smoothly with a hydraulic clutch. An available six-speed transmission with Tiptronic allows for both automatic and driver-selected gear changes using the gear selector. The 2007 New Beetle and New Beetle convertible with automatic transmission achieve an EPA-estimated fuel efficiency of up to 32 miles per gallon in highway driving and 23 mpg in city driving. With a manual transmission, the EPA estimates are 31 mpg highway and 22 on the city cycle.
Independent front McPherson struts, a torsion beam rear axle and front and rear stabilizer bars combine for a comfortable ride and excellent handling. Power-assisted rack and pinion steering and four-wheel disc brakes increase control—not to mention pure driving pleasure.
For four-season fun, the New Beetle convertible features a three-layer cloth top with a heated glass rear window. An extra window switch on convertible models allows the driver to lower and raise all of the side windows simultaneously.
The modern top helps keep road noise out in the “up” or closed position. Lowering the top is easy, and it piles neatly behind the rear seat in original Beetle fashion.
A comprehensive package of safety features that are standard equipment includes an advanced driver and front passenger front airbag supplemental restraint system and driver and front passenger head/thorax side airbag supplemental restraint system. The latest version Anti-lock Braking System is also standard, as is an advanced Electronic Stabilization Program (ESP) with brake assist and traction control including Anti-Slip Regulation.
The New Beetle convertible also includes an Active Rollover Support system that “pops up” two spring-loaded aluminum posts in 0.25 seconds from behind the rear seat headrests. For soft-top models, available options include a semi-automatic roof and a wind blocker.
The 2007 New Beetle and New Beetle convertible boast many of the most popular comfort and convenience luxuries as standard features, including fully reclining, height- adjustable front seats, a height-adjustable and telescoping three-spoke padded steering wheel, and a 10-speaker premium in-dash CD/MP3/satellite-ready stereo.
All New Beetle and New Beetle convertibles offer perforated leather seating surfaces and select leather trim as options. Also available are heatable front seats and windshield washer nozzles, and satellite radio with SIRIUS™ satellite service.
Owners can select option packages that include such features as model-specific 17-inch alloy wheels and all-season tires, fog lights, and HomeLink.
For owner peace of mind, all new Volkswagens are covered with 24-hour Roadside Assistance for four years with unlimited mileage, plus a New Car Warranty that includes:
- Five-year/60,000 mile (whichever occurs first) Powertrain Limited Warranty
- Four-year/50,000 mile (whichever occurs first) New Vehicle Limited Warranty with wear and tear items and adjustments excluded after the initial 12 months/12,000 miles
- 12 year unlimited distance Limited Warranty against corrosion perforation.
Looks and technology
Finishing touches in the details; new fenders, bumpers, front and rear headlights
The basic form of the New Beetle is untouchable. That is why the designers have perfected the details of the two-door front-wheel drive. But they have done this with consistency: The front bumpers have received a radiator grille that gives it a sportier look and the synthetic fenders have been given a sharper contour.
The lights have also been redesigned. The clear-glass headlights are even more defined with their oval shape and the front blinkers have been made narrower. The white-in-red circle has given the backlights an optical change. The Volkswagen hood ornaments on the front and back have also been updated.
One layout, five engines and plenty of options for individualism
One for all: the New Beetle is still available in a basic version that can be customized through various features and packages. In the new model year, colors with imaginative names like "Salsa Red” or "Gecko Green” offer a glimpse of the fresh colors and paints. Altogether, 15 colors will be available for the New Beetle. In addition, the interior of the New Beetle has new fabric designs available in Black, Flannel Grey, Cream, Mellow Yellow and Aquarius Blue. The interior has also been upgraded through chrome framing on the instrument cluster and air vents. The obligatory flower vase - a real classic - has remained untouched.
New Beetle drivers get even more creative options through the new wheel features. All in all, four 16 and 17 inch-alloy wheels as well as hubcaps for 16-inch steel wheels are available on request.
With the 2006 equipment packages “Exclusive” and “Premium”, Volkswagen offers two options for its clients with a lot of extras and a price advantage of up to 2,000 euros.
The “Exclusive Package includes, amongst other things: air-conditioning, an alpha radio system, a central-locking system with remote control, power windows in the front and an individually foldable seatback in the rear. The “Premium Package) has the same elements as the “Exclusive Package as well as the gamma CD radio system and can easily be distinguished from the outside by its Las Vegas type 16-inch alloy wheels / alloy rims and additional fog lights.
As far as motors are concerned, Volkswagen stayed with the time-tested engines. Only the 1.9 liter Turbo diesel direct injection received a performance improvement for the 2006 model and now comes with 77 kW / 105 PS. Altogether, four gas fuel and one diesel engine/s are being offered with capacity ranges from 55 kW / 75 PS to 110 kW / 150 PS. The three New Beetle performance levels 75 kW, 85 kW, 110 kW can be combined with an automatic transmission (tiptronic).
Classic design, distinctive yet perfect for every day of the year.
Analog to the unique design of the exterior, the special character of the New Beetle continues in the interior. The large half-moon shaped instrument cluster in full view for the driver, the grab handle for the front passenger and the dashboard are proof of the sure instinct of high design quality which interprets the classic elements of the Beetle in a contemporary way. The designer’s perfect attention to detail is perhaps most strikingly visible in the classic flower vase on the dashboard of each New Beetle.
The radio “gamma” (standard with 85 kW and TDI) which is integrated in the half-moon shaped center console was specially designed for the New Beetle. It transmits via the rear antenna and broadcasts over six loudspeakers. Also very stylish is the modern steering wheel with the round airbag-bounce top. True Beetle-style is the only large round instrument, although here with integrated scales for rev meters and the fuel gage as well as the contemporary signal functions and the red needles on a magical blue illuminated background. Additionally, the flower vase, a nostalgic accessory from the Beetle era, and the spars the classic looped grab handles for backseat passengers remain.
There are plenty of storage areas, even on the rearview mirror (except 55 kW and 75 kW) with its clock and outside temperature display as well as a sunglass compartment in the ceiling and one on the driver’s side (starting at 85 kW and TDI). Also on the middle console are the up-to-date cup holders. For cigarette lighters and on-board electrical devices, there are two 12-volt outlets in the front and back. The interior comes across as very friendly with its graspable, shagreened, likeable, soft-varnished synthetics and contemporary colors. Besides that, the New Beetle has a spacious feeling that seems unlimited in width and height in the front seats and offers ample space in the rear of this four-seater.
Very comforting: the central door locking system (optional for 55 kW and 75 kW) with programmable automatic locking of the doors after the car starts is like a bodyguard in the big-city jungle. Electric outside mirrors and active carbon filters for the interior air are further important details that come standard. Right in the driver’s door is a remote release for the 55 liter fuel tank cover as well as the cargo area. In its standard configuration, it holds 209 liters and expands to 527 liters when the seatbacks are collapsed.
Deliberate play with the classic Beetle shapes;twelve years guarantee against corrosion.
The contouring of the body is distinctive. It transports the originality of the classic Beetle into contemporary times. The round stern, the dome-shaped roof, the rear section, the fenders with the hint of a footboard, the embedded round head - (optional Xenon) and tail lights - bring back memories of the Beetle while the sharp accented lines and windows confirm the up-to-date design and express youthful energy.
The self-supporting body made out of zinc-plated sheet steel, has a twelve-year guarantee against corrosion. And it is high-strength with a positive impact on the crash demeanor and comfort and quality. Disappearance stability is the prerequisite for a smooth surface design with very narrow interstices. The firm steel body of the New Beetle as well as the synthetic fenders and bumpers are painted in one step in a specially developed process, so that the coloring is absolutely identical. By the way, as in the past, fenders and bumpers are screwed on, which enables low-cost repairs.
Meanwhile, the high design quality is confirmed by various international awards. The New Beetle received the coveted “Design of the Century Award” from the Industrial Designers of America (IDSA). This honors products whose design plays a significant role in the success of the product or brand. Before that, the New Beetle had received the “Product Design Award” from the Industrie Forum Design in Hannover and also the award for "Good Design" from the Chicago Athenaeum.
Overview of petrol engines
1.4 with 55 kW / 75 PS: A modern four-valve engine with 55 kW / 75 PS is the base motor for the New Beetle which is also offered in the Golf. In 14.6 seconds, it accelerates to 100 km/h; its maximum speed is 161 km/h. The overall consumption is exceptionally low with only 7.0 liters for every 100 kilometers.
1.6 with 75 kW / 102 PS: The next stronger gas fuel engine with 75 kW / 102 PS and 1.6 liter cubic capacity has a controlled intake manifold as well as roller levers and displays a harmonious performance development at low level fuel consumption. The engine transmits its power through a five-gear transmission, alternatively available as a four-gear automatic transmission. The stick shift version reaches a maximum speed of 179 km/h and on average uses 7.5 liters of fuel every 100 kilometers.
2.0 with 85 kW / 115 PS: Even more dynamic is the established 2.0 liter engine. It delivers 85 kW / 115 PS and, on request, can also be ordered with an automatic transmission. The maximum speed for the stick shift model is 185 km/h. The average fuel consumption is 8.7 liters.
1.8 with 110 kW / 150 PS: The New Beetle 1.8 T was positioned above the New Beetle 2.0. Its four-cylinder turbo engine brings a dynamic 110 kW / 150 PS. In this version the New Beetle is 203 km/h fast. An exterior characteristic of the sporty model is a rear spoiler that automatically extends or retracts depending on the speed of the vehicle. An automatic transmission is available on request for the 1.8 T. The sporty New Beetle uses 8.1 liters every 100 kilometers when in combined use.
Overview of diesel engines
1.9 TDI with 77 kW / 105 PS: Since the end of 2001, there is also a TDI engine with pump-valve injection combined with a five-gear transmission available. For the 2006 model, this was expanded to 77 kW / 105 PS. The torque strong diesel engine (240 Newton meters at 1,800 rpm) provides the New Beetle with good performance (maximum speed 178 km/h) and a very low fuel consumption of only 5.1 liters for every 100 kilometers.
Uncompromised safety with six airbags and standard ESP
Part of the extensive standard equipment of the New Beetle are, amongst other things, driver and front seat passenger airbags, Head-Thorax airbag, the electronic stabilization program ESP (including brake assistant, ABS, EDS and ASR), the green-tinted heat-insulated glass as well as hook-ups for the Isofix child seat in the rear.
On the active safety side, the New Beetle furthermore convinces with a neutral chassis including ESP and a reassuring competent front wheel drive.
Pricing and features
- 2.5L 150 HP 5-speed manual $17,180
- 2.5L 150 HP 6-speed automatic $18,255
- Package #1
- Power Sunroof, Premium Audio System, Cold Weather Package (heated front seats and wash nozzles) $1,500
- Package #2
- Includes PM1 (Package #1), plus: Leather Seating, Shift Knob and Steering Wheel,17" ’Oktopus’ Alloy Wheels with all-season tires, Fog Lights, Rain-sensing Wipers,Self-dimming Interior Mirror and Homelink $3,300
- Sirius Satellite Radio Service QV8 $375
PORT INSTALLED OPTIONS
- 6-Disc CD changer mounted in cargo area $499
- Rear Spoiler$479
- (4) 17" ’Exor’ Alloy Wheel Upgrade with 225/45/R17 91H all-season tires; this option includes return of the Take-Off wheels to Dealer (not available with the PM2 option)$1,350
- (4) 17" ’Arietta’ Alloy Wheel Upgrade with 225/45/R17 91H all-season tires; this option includes return of the Take-Off wheels to Dealer (not available with the PM2 option)$1,350\
- Roof-mounted amplified flexible black whip antenna
- Roof mounted Satellite Radio antenna
- Fully galvanized sheet metal
- Brake Lights
- Mid-mounted 3rd stop lamp
- Two doors
- Anti-intrusion side door beams
- Body color door handles
- Plastic front and rear fenders
- Tinted glass, green
- Dual tone horns
- Lights, Front/Rear
- Daytime Running Lights (DRL). Upon start-up of vehicle, headlights engage with reduced power. Instrument panel lighting, parking lights and taillights remain off. To engage all lights with full power, the light switch must be turned to the on position
- Headlights-on warning tone, upon opening of driver’s door when ignition key is removed
- Projector lens halogen front headlamps with light weight, chip-resistant polycarbonate lenses
- Clear lens halogen front fog lamps
- Side blinkers integrated into side exterior mirrors
- Body color mirror housings
- Driver and passenger side power exterior mirrors, heatable
- Metallic paint (no charge)
- Non-metallic paint
- Power glass sunroof with tilt, slide, tinted glass, manual sunshade, pinch protection, and driver’s door power lock operated convenience closing feature P
- 205/55 R16 H, all season tires
- 225/45 R17 H, all season tires
- All season spare tire with full size steel wheel
- 6.5J X 16’’ alloy wheels
- 7J X 17’’ alloy wheels
- Two-speed windshield wipers with 4-speed, adjustable intermittent wipe feature S
- Heatable windshield washer nozzles, front
- Rain sensor, automatic wiper speed control
- Air Conditioning
- Air conditioning, CFC-free
- Anti-theft vehicle alarm system for doors, hood, trunk lid, radio, and starter, with
- warning LED in door top sill and with audible and visual activation
- Immobilizer III theft deterrent system
- Front center armrest adjustable/folding with storage compartment S
- Assist Handles
- Large assist handle in instrument panel above glove box, 2 rear passenger assist straps on B-pillars and silicone dampened return assist handles above driver and front passenger seats
- Cruise Control
- Cruise control
- Defroster Electric rear window defroster
- Electric side mirror defroster/defogger
- Doors/Side Panels
- Integrated armrests in front door panels
- Integrated armrests in rear side panels
- Floor Mats
- Front floor mats
- Instrument Cluster
- Brake pad wear indicator
- Illumination of controls and gauges - blue, with red indicators
- Seatbelt reminder
- Speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip odometer, fuel gauge, gear indicator (if equipped with optional automatic transmission), warning lights
- Folding keys (2) with radio-frequency remote transmitter for central locking, eyelet
- Valet key
- Glove box light
- Interior front center dome light
- Luggage compartment light
- Two rear reading lights
- Automatic locking feature (doors lock automatically when vehicle reaches 8 mph).
- Dealer can disable feature or program to unlock when ignition key is removed. Doors unlock automatically upon airbag deployment
- Driver and passenger door mounted power lock/unlock switches for central locking system
- Remote central power locking system with selective unlocking and key operated convenience open and close feature (windows)
- Mirrors, Interior
- Dual driver and front passenger visor vanity mirrors, illuminated with cover
- Mirror control pad with joystick control
- Rearview mirror with integrated clock and temperature display
- Power Outlets
- One power outlet (SAE size) in center console
- Premium 5.5 in dash single CD Radio with MP3 format capability, satellite radio preparation, 6 speakers, control capability for CD changer, theft-deterrent warning light and coding system.
- Auxiliary Input jack
- Premium Sound
- Satellite Radio with SiriusTM
- CD Changer Prep (cable and mounting brackets)
- Remote Releases
- Remote releases for trunk and fuel filler flap, located on driver’s side door
- Restraint Systems
- Driver and front passenger front airbag supplemental restraint system
- Driver and front passenger head/thorax side airbag supplemental restraint system
- Emergency locking retractors for all seating positions
- Safety belts pre-tensioners with load limiters, front seats only
- Height adjustable front 3-point safety belts
- Rear outboard 3-point safety belts
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether for CHildren. Formerly known as ISOFIX) - child seat lower attachment points and top tether rear outboard seating positions
- Child seat tether anchorage points with markings, rear seating positions
- Buckle switch (sensor which deploys airbag depending on safety belt use)
- Rear-impact optimized head restraints
- Seating, Front
- Front seats, fully reclining, height & angle adjustable with lockable head restraints
- "Easy Entry System" allows front seat to move forward for easy access to rear seating area
- Heatable front seats
- Seat height adjustment for driver and front passenger seats
- Seating, Rear
- One piece folding rear seat
- Special Features
- Steering Wheel
- 3-spoke padded steering wheel
- 3-spoke padded leather wrapped steering wheel
- Height adjustable and telescoping steering column
- Steering wheel deformable/collapsible upon impact
- Theft-deterrent steering column
- Storage, Interior
- Two front cupholders and one rear cupholder
- Front door storage nets
- Front seatback magazine/storage pocket
- Soft opening (silicone dampened) glovebox, lockable with interior shelf for owners literature
- Sunglass holder located above rearview mirror (not available on vehicles equipped with optional sunroof
- Storage compartment inside front center armrest
- Trim (Details)
- Plastic shift knob
- Plastic handbrake grip
- Leather shift knob
- Chrome applications to instrument cluster and air vents
- Trunk/Cargo Area
- Luggage compartment cover, one piece, lifting, removable
- Fully carpeted lined luggage compartment
- Grip on inside of trunk lid to assist closing
- Leatherette seat trim
- Perforated leather seating surfaces
- Ventilation System
- Pollen filter
- Key opening & closing feature for power windows
- Power windows with pinch protection. Front windows with automatic one-touch feature, operable from driver’s side only
- Battery box, hard shell box around the battery for protection S
- Body Panels
- Crash optimized front end
- ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)
- Power assisted front vented disc brakes, rear solid disc brakes
- Tier 2 EPA Federal Emissions Concept
- PZEV California Emissions Concept
- OBD II
- ORVR (On-board Refueling Vapor Recovery)
- EVAP standard for USA
- 2.5L 150 horsepower, 170 lbs-ft torque, 5 cylinder, in-line, 20V
- Side Impact
- Anti-intrusion side door beams Steering
- Power assisted rack and pinion steering
- Independent front McPherson struts, stabilizer bar
- Track correcting torsion beam rear axle with integrated stabilizer bar
- Traction Control
- Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR)
- Electronic Differential Lock (EDL)
- Engine Braking Assist (EBA) prevents compression-induced skidding in slippery conditions
- Electronic Stabilization Program with brake assist
- 5-speed manual transmission
- 6-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic
- Cable shift mechanism - manual transmission only
- Clutch starter interlock for manual transmission. Vehicle will not start if clutch is not depressed
- Hydraulic clutch for manual transmission
- 12 year/unlimited distance Limited Warranty against Corrosion Perforation
- Powertrain Warranty
- 5 year/60,000 mile (whichever occurs first). Powertrain Limited Warranty
- Vehicle Warranty
- 4 year/50,000 mile (whichever occurs first). New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Wear &
- tear items and adjustments excluded after initial 12 month/12,000 miles (whichever occurs first)
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE 2.5L
- Roadside Assistance
- 4-year/unlimited mileage, 24 hour, provided by Road America