• It’s Official: Buell Production Lines To Re-Start on November 1st!

  • Buell Hammerhead Production lines set to re-start on November 1st, 2021, taking America into the sports bike arena once again
  • Indian FTR 1200 First indications that the US bike industry was moving away from the traditional cruiser market
  • Harley Davidson Pan America Startling and unexpected adventure bike, showing the company is serious about challenging existing markets
  • 2005 Buell Ulysses New Buell company says there will be ten new models by 2024. Is an adventure bike on the cards?

Iconic American Brand Buell Is Back!

LISTEN 02:17

When production of Buell Motorcycles stopped in 2016, most thought that was the last we would see of the iconic American sports bike brand. Now, it’s new owners have confirmed that the production lines will re-start on November 1st, 2021, bringing new life to the American sports bike.

Buell Back In Production

It's Official: Buell Production Lines To Re-Start on November 1st!
- image 1022455
Buell Hammerhead
Production lines set to re-start on November 1st, 2021, taking America into the sports bike arena once again

Buell Motorcycles has had a checkered career. Formed in 1983 by ex-Harley Davidson engineer Erik Buell, H-D then bought 49% of the company in 1993, buying the remaining 51% in 2003. In 2009, however, H-D pulled the plug and discontinued the Buell brand.

Erik Buell then set up Erik Buell Racing (EBR), which lasted until 2016, when production again ceased. Fast forward to 2021 and a re-launched Buell Motorcycles was announced, with a new model, called the Hammerhead set to spearhead the revival. Based on the old 1190RX, it continues as a 182bhp v-twin engined sports bike and Buell announced that ten new models would be in production by 2024.

It's Official: Buell Production Lines To Re-Start on November 1st!
- image 1022456
Indian FTR 1200
First indications that the US bike industry was moving away from the traditional cruiser market

The latest announcement is that the production lines will be re-started on November 1st. The new Hammerhead will be the first model to roll off the lines and promises to be able to fight with the established stars of the superbike world, such as the Honda Fireblade, Kawasaki ZX10Rand Suzuki GSX-R1000.

“When we announced that our future models will include variants for dirt, touring, and cruisers, while expanding our engine lineup, we were blown away at the rider response,” said Steve Laham, Chief Products, Development & Strategy Officer at Buell Motorcycle Co.

“I knew Buell was a beloved brand, and now riders are pulling for us! With the Hammerhead going into production, innovative technology and products in our pipeline, and our online reservation system changing the industry, we’re lean, mean and on the move!”

It's Official: Buell Production Lines To Re-Start on November 1st!
- image 1022457
Harley Davidson Pan America
Startling and unexpected adventure bike, showing the company is serious about challenging existing markets

This is great news for the American motorcycle industry, which is undergoing something of a renaissance with manufacturers moving away from the established cruiser market with models such as theIndian FTR 1200 and the Harley Davidson Pan America adventure bike.

It's Official: Buell Production Lines To Re-Start on November 1st!
- image 1022458
2005 Buell Ulysses
New Buell company says there will be ten new models by 2024. Is an adventure bike on the cards?
Harry Fisher
Harry Fisher
Motorcycling Contributor
Born and raised in England, he has lived in South Africa with his family since 2002. Harry has owned examples of Triumph, Norton, BSA, MV Agusta, Honda, BMW, Ducati, Harley Davidson, Kawasaki and Moto Morini motorcycles. He regrets selling all of them.  Read full bio
About the author

Related Articles

2021 Harley-Davidson Pan America 1250

2017 - 2020 Suzuki GSX-R1000R

2019 - 2020 Indian Motorcycle FTR 1200

2019 - 2020 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

2021 Honda CBR1000RR-R Fireblade SP

2014 EBR 1190RX

What do you think?
Show Comments
Motorcycle Finder: