2010 Ducati Monster 796
Ducati has just confirmed rumors related to the introduction of an all-new Italian naked by adding the Monster 796 to their 2010 model lineup. The big news follows Ducati’s poor Monster 1100 sells as the biggest Monster of them all gets close to the race-spec Streetfighter’s pricing range. Also taking in consideration the fact that the Monster 696 doesn’t have enough juice to keep the good stuff coming for more experienced riders, the need was felt for a middle solution, NOT a new middleweight model. So here it is.
The new bike came to life after Ducati combined the chassis of the big Monster with the 2010 Hypermotard 796 engine. We must say the Borgo Panigale manufacturer has great expectations from their in-between solution, which they claim being "the perfect synthesis between sports performances, aesthetics and daily riving pleasure."
While we cannot contradict them in any way, we’ll just have to let the numbers speak for themselves: 87hp and 58 lb-ft of torque coming from the 803cc, two-valve, air-cooled twin, all while weighing in at a 369 lbs dry. Optional ABS will add 4 lbs to the standard weight figure. Bodywork colors available for when the bike is supposed to hit Europe’s dealerships this April are Ducati Red, Arctic White, or Diamond Black Silk, all with the red frame and black wheels. Considering the €8990 European pricing, the 2010 Ducati Monster 796 shouldn’t start at more than $10K in the United States.
This new Duck has gone from rumor to fact in a very short time and it is all thanks to Ducati’s variety of “donor bikes” that helped put it together. This means little investment for the Italian company and more profit, definitely the theoretical way to rise up overall sales of the Monster lineup. Factual, we’ll just have to wait and see. Hit the jump for the official video and full specs.
Update: Press Release is also attached after the jump.
2010 Ducati Monster 796
Engine:L-Twin cylinder, 2 valve per cylinder Desmodromic, air cooled
Horsepower @ RPM:87hp @ 8,250rpm
Torque @ RPM:58lb-ft @ 6250rpm
Energy:Siemens electronic fuel injection, 45mm throttle body
Top Speed:135 mph
DUCATI EXPANDS THE MONSTER FAMILY WITH THE NEW 796 AND THE MONSTER ART BODY KITS
Ducati’s newest Monster arrives with ten additional color selections
Cupertino, Calif. (April 19th, 2010) – Ducati North America is excited to announce the newest member of its internationally acclaimed Monster range- the Monster 796.
The 2011 Monster 796 combines the top level components and style of the Monster 1100 with the user friendliness of the Monster 696. Priced at $9,995; it will be invading streets nationwide this June in white, black and Ducati red. All three colors share the lightweight Ducati trellis frame in red, along with red wheel striping.
The Monster 796’s air-cooled engine produces a potent 87hp and 56lb/ft of torque, which is enough to propel the svelte 367lb bike to any destination in a rapid fashion. In the interest of rider comfort; the Monster 796 has adapted a comfortable new seat, higher handlebars and optional passenger grab handles to enable an optimum riding experience. Borrowing from its 1100cc sibling, the Monster 796 features a single sided swingarm and four piston Brembo brakes. These features combine with an APTC slipper clutch, blackened foot rests, and new five spoke wheels to make the ultimate middleweight Monster.
Arriving alongside the latest Monster are the new ’Monster Art’ body kits for all three members of the Monster family; giving riders the chance to accessorize and customize the look of their bikes with ten all-new color choices.
The new Monster Art body kits allow Monster 696, 796, 1100 and 1100S owners to extend their personal style by changing up panels to suit any mood or event. Monster lovers can ’dress’ their bikes in as little as ten minutes, giving a new look to their two-wheeled beauty each day. The Monster Art kit includes tank covers, a mudguard, a micro-bikini fairing and seat cover- everything needed to change the color of a Monster in rapid fashion.
The ten new color options include three vibrant solid colors, and seven historical Ducati liveries as follows:
* "Giallo Ducati" Ducati Yellow
* "Lilla Glamour" Lilac
* "Arancione Scrambler" Ducati Scrambler Orange
* "Ducati Corse" Inspired by the new Ducati Corse logo
* "Imola 72" In honor of the Imola 200 winning 750SS
* "Darmah" Modeled after the legendary black and gold striping of the late seventies.
* "Isle of Mann 79" A tribute to Ducati’s 1978 Senior TT Win
* "Pantah" Ducati’s iconic logo from the eighties
* "Mach 1" A vibrant red in the spirit of the 1960’s
* "Sport 100" A historic blue from Ducati’s of the past
The Monster Art panel accessories can be purchased at local Ducati dealerships from $599.99. For details on the Monster 796, and the Monster Art kits, please visit www.ducatiusa.com.
Engine and Transmission
- Type: L-Twin cylinder, 2 valve per cylinder Desmodromic, air cooled
- Displacement: 803cc
- Bore x Stroke: 88 x 66mm
- Compression ratio: 11:1
- Power: 64kW - 87hp @ 8250rpm
- Torque: 8.0kgm - 58lb-ft @ 6250rpm
- Fuel injection: Siemens electronic fuel injection, 45mm throttle body
- Exhaust: Lightweight 2-1-2 system with catalytic converter with twin lambda probes
- Gearbox: 6 speed
- Ratio: 1st 32/13, 2nd 30/18, 3rd 28/21, 4th 26/23, 5th 22/22, 6th 24/26
- Primary drive: Straight cut gears; Ratio 1.85:1
- Final drive: Chain; Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 39
- Clutch: APTC wet multiplate with hydraulic control
- Standard: Euro 3
Chassis and Dimensions
- Frame: Tubular steel Trellis frame
- Wheelbase: 1450mm (57.1in)
- Rake: 24°
- Front suspension: Showa 43mm upside-down forks
- Front wheel travel: 120mm (4.7in)
- Front wheel: Y-shaped, 5-spoke in light alloy 3.50 x17
- Front Tyre: 120/70 ZR17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso
- Rear suspension: Progressive linkage with preload and rebound Sachs adjustable monoshock
- Rear wheel travel: 148mm (5.8in)
- Rear wheel: Y-shaped, 5-spoke in light alloy 5.50 x 17
- Rear tyre: 180/55 ZR17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso
- Front brake: 2 x 320mm discs, 4-piston radial caliper
- Rear brake: 245mm disc, 2-piston caliper
- Fuel tank capacity: 15l - 3.8gallon (US) / 13.5l - 3.6gallon (US) ABS version
- Dry weight: 167kg (369lb) / 169kg (373lb) ABS version
- Instruments: Digital unit displaying: Speedometer, rev counter, clock, scheduled maintenance warning, oil temperature, trip fuel, air temperature, lap time, warning light for low oil pressure, fuel level, fuel reserve, neutral, turn signals, overrev, immobilizer. Ready for DDA system
- Warranty: 2 years unlimited mileage
- Body Colour (frame/wheel): Red (red / back) - Arctic white silk (red / back) - Diamond black silk (red / back) - Monster Art colours (red / back)
- Versions: Dual seat
- Seat height: 800mm (31.5in)
- DDA: DDA system-ready for Ducati Performance accessory
- DTC: Not available on this model
- ABS: Available upon request