2010 Harley-Davidson FLTRX Road Glide Custom
Among Harley’s nine all new 2010 models, we find the Road Glide Custom a much more aggressive approach towards the shark-nose Harley-Davidson classic style. Not only the bike is now lowered, but it also features a big 18-inch front wheel, a 2-into-1 exhaust, and a smooth tail light assembly for a bike that is worthy of the word ‘custom’ in its name.
While the chassis is based on a single-spar, rigid backbone frame and a stout swingarm developed to withstand the demands of long-haul touring riders and today’s more-powerful engines, we’re happy to hear that the 96ci V-Twin behind this model is capable of 125.55 Nm at 3500 rpm, which makes the Road Glide Custom even more of a temptation.
2010 Harley-Davidson FLTRX Road Glide Custom
Engine:Air-cooled, Twin Cam 96
Transmission:6-Speed Cruise Drive
Torque @ RPM:125.55 Nm @ 3500 rpm
Energy:Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
Top Speed:120 mph
NEW HARLEY-DAVIDSON® ROAD GLIDE® CUSTOM IS LOW AND LEAN
This Slammed-and-Stripped Road Glide Model Has a New Hot Rod Attitude
The new Road Glide Custom motorcycle is a tougher, younger vision of the shark-nose Harley-Davidson classic. Here’s a bagger with a frame-mounted fairing that offers a lean, hot-rod look. Road Glide Custom leads with a big 18-inch front wheel draped with a clean FL fender, follows with a 2-into-1 exhaust feeding a long chrome muffler, and exits with a smooth new tail light assembly. Hugging the pavement on a slammed rear suspension, the Road Glide Custom rolls with a cool swagger.
But cool can still tour. That aerodynamic fairing offers outstanding weather and wind protection and holds a cockpit-style array of instruments. Hardshell saddlebags and the 40-watt Advanced Audio System by Harman/Kardon are standard equipment on the new Road Glide Custom model.
Key Road Glide Custom Features
- The rear suspension is lowered by one inch, so the Road Glide Custom model appears to hug the highway, a look that is reinforced by the "ground effects" trim at the bottom edge of the rear fender.
- An 18-inch Black Slotted Disc cast aluminum front wheel has machined highlights. Combined with a lower-profile, 130/70B18 tire, the new wheel updates the front end styling and offers enhanced steering feedback.
- An aerodynamic, frame-mounted fairing incorporates dual headlamps, a cockpit-style instrument display with silver-faced gauges, and two glove-box storage compartments. The frame-mounted fairing offers lighter steering feel than a fork-mounted fairing. New head lamp trim replaces the clear cover used on previous Road Glide models, improving serviceability.
- A low-profile dark wind deflector creates a sleek shape up front.
- The new 2-into-1 exhaust feeds a single, four-inch-diameter chrome muffler located below the right saddlebag.
- The new tail light assembly joins a pair of red LED brake/tail/turn lamps with a sweeping chrome bracket that doubles as a visor over the low-mounted license plate. This design eliminates the separate tail/stop lamp. Tri-line LED lighting is located at the bottom edge of the rear fender.
- The new custom bucket seat has a perforated insert in the rider position.
- GTX nylon hard saddlebags have color-matched latches. Inserts fill the spaces between the saddlebags and the rear fender.
- Streamliner footboards, brake pedal and passenger pegs feature full chrome pans and three chrome bands inset in the rubber surface.
- The 6-speed Cruise Drive® transmission is fitted with a new helical-cut fifth gear for smooth operation.
Tour with Custom Style
The Road Glide Custom model is built on the innovative Touring chassis introduced by Harley-Davidson in 2009, based on a single-spar, rigid backbone frame developed to withstand the demands of long-haul touring riders and today’s more-powerful engines. The cast aluminum wheels were created using finite element analysis for maximal stiffness with minimal weight. The 180/65-16 Dunlop® D407 Multi-Tread rear tire designed specifically for the Harley-Davidson Touring chassis feature a harder center tread compound and softer shoulder compound to enhance handling and extend rear-tire tread life by 25 percent.
Air-adjustable rear shocks accommodate variable passenger and luggage loads. Chassis geometry and suspension calibration work with the dynamics of the frame to deliver a combination of comfort and handling from a touring motorcycle that’s equally at ease rolling down the Interstate or negotiating a tight parking situation.
The Twin Cam 96™ V-Twin engine features Harley-Davidson Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) that delivers crisp response, easy starting cold or hot, and self-adjusts to changing elevation and atmospheric conditions. Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) unclutters the handlebar area and enables an easy upgrade to optional cruise control. The engine is rubber-mounted in the chassis, and mated to a 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission with a tall top gear for quiet, economical highway cruising. The exhaust system is designed to minimize heat exposure to the rider and passenger.
"Once past a brisk walking pace, the Glides prove to be surprisingly agile and fun to ride. Grip from the Dunlop tires exceeds the available cornering clearance, said to be 32 degrees on the right and 29 degrees on the left, and the 180/65-16 rear uses dual-compound construction alleged to offer 25% greater durability. The rear suspension is air-adjustable to suit loads…” – motorcycle
"Despite the extra weight of its fairing, the Road Glide seems to have more cornering clearance than the Road King, giving it surprising lean angles. It pitched around just a bit on the suspension during hard cornering but never did anything exciting. The brakes were adequate, though, as always the handlebar levers are not very handy for smaller hands." – motorcyclecruiser
"And it feels great in the turns, with an incredibly quick and silky-smooth side-to-side transition capability, probably due to the low center of gravity. Rolling on that precise throttle out of the corners means more fun in the twisties with this bike than anything I’ve ridden in a long while." – webbikeworld
"The Harley Davidson Road Glide is powered by Harley Davidson’s 1584cc air cooled V-twin engine, producing the torque necessary to move this rig wherever you want to go while providing the kind of fuel economy that will get you to your destination with a few bucks to spare for the tourist traps." – associatedcontent
"Since the Custom weighs nearly 100 pounds less than the Electra Glide Limited, its smaller engine makes acceleration seem right on par with the bigger 103 engine. Motoring up steep mountain grades will require you to grab a downshift or two, but like always the 6-speed gearbox and friendly clutch help make gear changes feel solid and precise feel. – motorcycle-usa
Engine and Transmission
- Engine: Air-cooled, Twin Cam 96™
- Valves: Pushrod-operated, overhead valves with hydraulic, self-adjusting lifters; two valves per cylinder
- Bore x Stroke: 3.75 in. x 4.38 in. (95.25 mm x 111.25 mm)
- Displacement: 96 cu. in. (1584 cc)
- Compression Ratio: 9.2:1
- Fuel System: Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Air Cleaner: Fiberglass, washable
- Lubrication System: Pressurized, dry-sump
- Primary Drive: Chain, 34/46 ratio
- Final Drive: Belt, 32/68 ratio
- Clutch: Multi-plate, wet
- Transmission: 6-Speed Cruise Drive®
- Gear Ratios (overall): U.S.
- 1st 9.593
- 2nd 6.650
- 3rd 4.938
- 4th 4.000
- 5th 3.407
- 6th 2.875
- Engine Torque (per SAE J1349):
- North America: 92.60 ft. lbs. @ 3500 rpm (125.55 Nm @ 3500 rpm)
- Lean Angle (per SAE J1168):
- Right: 32°
- Left: 29°
- Fuel Economy (EPA urban/highway test): 35/54 mpg (6.72/4.36 L/100 km)
Chassis and Dimensions
- Frame: Mild steel; tubular frame; two-piece stamped and welded backbone; cast and forged junctions; twin downtubes; bolt-on rear frame with forged fender supports; MIG welded
- Swingarm: Mild steel; two-piece drawn and welded section; forged juctions; MIG welded
- Front Forks: 41.3 mm telescopic, triple circuit damping
- Rear Shocks: Air-adjustable
- Wheels: Black, Slotted Disc Cast Aluminum
- Front: 18 in. x 3.5 in. (457.20 mm x 88.90 mm)
- Rear: 16 in. x 5 in. (406.40 mm x 127.0 mm)
- Caliper Type: 32 mm, 4-piston fixed front and rear
- Rotor Type: Patented, fixed rotors
- (diameter x width):
- Front (dual): 11.81 in. x .20 in. (299.97 mm x 5.08 mm)
- Rear: 11.81 in. x .28 in. (299.97 mm x 7.11 mm)
- Anti-Lock Braking System (option): Available
- Suspension Travel:
- Front Wheel: 4.60 in. (116.84 mm)
- Rear Wheel: 3 in. (76.20 mm)
- Engineered for Sidecar Use: Available
- Length: 95.0 in. (2413.0 mm)
- Overall Width: 35.8 in. (909.32 mm)
- Overall Height: 50.0 in. (1270.0 mm)
- Seat Height:
- Laden: 26.30 in. (668.02 mm)
- Unladen: 29.50 in. (749.30 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 5.10 in. (129.54 mm)
- Rake (steering head): 26°
- Fork Angle: 29.2°
- Trail: 6.69 in. (169.93 mm)
- Wheelbase: 63.50 in. (1612.90 mm)
- Tires (Dunlop® Harley-Davidson Series, bias blackwall front and rear):
- Front – D408F: BW 130/80B18 63H
- Rear – D407: BW 180/65B16 81H
- Fuel Capacity: 6 gal. (22.71 L)
- (warning light at approximately 1 gal.)
- Oil Capacity (w/filter): 4 qts. (3.78 L)
- Transmission Capacity: 1 qts. (0.95 L)
- Primary Chain
- Case Capacity: 1.40 qts. (1.32 L)
- Front: 500 lbs. (226.80 kg)
- Rear: 927 lbs. (420.49 kg)
- Battery (per Battery Council International Rating): Sealed, maintenance-free, 12V, 28-amp/hour, 370 cca
- Charging: Three-phase, 50-amp system (585W @ 13V, 2000 rpm, 650W max power @ 13V)
- Starting: 1.2 kW electric with solenoid shift starter motor engagement
- Lights (as per country regulation):
- Headlamp (quartz halogen): 55-watt low beam, 60-watt high beam
- Tail/Stop Lights: 8W/28W (5W/21W)
- Turn Signal Lights: 28W (21W) self-canceling
- Indicator Lamps: High beam, running lights, directional light bar, neutral, low oil pressure, engine diagnostics, turn signals, security system (optional), 6-speed, low fuel warning, cruise control (optional), ABS (optional)
- Warranty: 24 months (unlimited mileage)
- Service Interval: First 1,000 miles (1,600 km), every 5,000 miles (8,000 km) thereafter
- Vivid Black
- Scarlet Red
- Black Denim
- Solids: $18,999
- Two-Tones: $19,479
- New 18-inch front wheel with a lower-profile, 130/80B18 tire
- New 2-into-1 exhaust and single, four-inch diameter chrome muffler
- New Red stop/turn/tail lights with chrome bracket that doubles as a visor over the low-mounted license plate
- New Stylized headlamp shroud
- New Smoked, short Lexan wind deflector
- New Helical cut 5th gear for improved transmission sound
- Black powder-coated powertrain with chrome covers
- Black, Slotted Disc cast aluminum wheels
- Lowered rear suspension
- Aerodynamic frame-mounted fairing
- Deep FL front fender with no trim
- Stainless steel, easy reach handlebar
- Chrome, low-profile fuel tank console
- One-piece, two-up Street Glide®-style seat with perforated insert
- Injection-molded hard saddlebags with color-matched latches; 2.26 cu. ft. volume
- Inserts fill the spaces between the saddlebags and the rear fender
- Silver-faced, fairing-mounted electronic speedometer and tachometer plus fuel, voltage, oil pressure and ambient air temperature gauge
- Streamliner footboards, brake pedal and passenger pegs
- 40-watt, two-speaker Advanced Audio System by Harman/Kardon wCD/MP3 player
- Tri-line LED rear fender tip light
- Rubber-mounted Twin Cam 96™ V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) with heated O2 sensors and Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
- 6-Speed Cruise Drive® transmission with integrated Isolated Drive System (IDS)
- Dunlop® “Multi-Tread” rear tire construction extends tire life by 25 percent
- Brembo® 4-piston front and rear caliper with dual front rotor brake system
- Air-adjustable rear shocks
- Full-length rider footboards
- Height-adjustable passenger footboards
- Six-gallon fuel tank
- Optional Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Optional Harley-Davidson® Smart Security System with hands-free security fob
- Optional electronic cruise control