2012 Honda Gold Wing
The Japanese motorcycle brand has something special for the 2012 Gold Wing, starting with new bodywork that further complements what is the best engine and chassis package the touring world has in the market today. They were also able to put in a new audio system, an updated navigation system, and all-new functionality. Really, are there even any more questions as to what touring bike can match wits with the Gold Wing?
We hardly think that you can find a touring bike that offers such a comprehensive package, so with the 2012 Gold Wing, there’s really no reason to look for anything more. It has long been acknowledged as the pinnacle of two-up motorcycling, and the 2012 model more than lives up to the high standards of its predecessors.
Find out more about the 2012 Honda Gold Wing after the jump.
The 2012 Honda Gold Wing offers a lot of fresh styling cues that produce a more integrated appearance to go with a sporting edge to add to the premium touring visage. Among the notable improvements are a redesigned fairing that adds extra wind protection, especially to the lower body and leg areas; larger saddlebags that add approximately 7 liters of additional storage space, upping total capacity to well over 150 liters; and a handy central storage pocket. You’ll also be getting an updated seat design with a urethane seat and cover, providing added comfort. Meanwhile, the re-shaped taillight adds a distinctive appearance and aids visibility, while an updated instrumentation styling lends a high-performance touch. The new Gold Wing also has a new ratcheting windscreen-adjustment system that provides six settings over nearly 4.0" of travel while an adjustable and closeable windscreen vent routes fresh air to the rider’s face or chest. In terms of cargo space, the Gold Wing can carry up to 150 liters of storage capacity between trunk, saddlebags, and fairing pockets, with 60 liters alone capable of fitting inside the bike’s trunk.
Finally, as with any other high-end touring bike out there, the 2012 Gold Wing has a snazzy instrument panel that displays all the pertinent information you’ll need when you’re out on the road. There’s a speedometer, a tachometer, a coolant temperature and fuel level, plus adjustable backlighting and high-luminescence white pointers, among other things.
The Honda Gold Wing is powered by a 1,832cc six-cylinder, fuel-injected powertrain that produces smooth and effortless power. This engine features a parallel two-valve cylinder-head design that utilizes direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation, allowing the first valve clearance inspection service to be at 32,000 miles. Two 40mm-diameter throttle bodies deliver air to six specially designed Keihin 50-psi high-pressure programmed fuel injectors. The fuel is then delivered through four nozzle holes in each injector, producing an atomized fuel mixture that is highly combustible for optimum efficiency and power.
Chassis and Suspension
The 2012 Honda Gold Wing features some of the best chassis and suspension set-ups on the market today. A twin-spar aluminum frame and a unique Pro Arm rear suspension - this incorporates a new shock with revised suspension settings for enhanced ride compliance - serves as the backbone of the bike. A massive 45mm front fork with revised settings improves suspension compliance and houses a cartridge damper in the right leg, providing 4.8" of travel for a smooth yet superb ride in all road conditions. The computer-controlled adjustable hydraulic rear suspension preload can be easily adjusted by the rider with the simple use of push-button controls. The 2012 Gold Wing also has dual full-floating 296mm front discs with Combined Braking System (CBS) three-piston calipers and a single ventilated 316mm rear disc with one CBS three-piston caliper, providing the kind of excellent braking power hard-core bikers need when they’re going full-throttle on their ride.
Honda has the 2012 Gold Wing pricing currently set at $23,199 to $28,499 depending on the options package – a marginal increase of $300 to $600 from the 2010 pricing.
|Engine Type||1832cc liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder|
|Bore and Stroke||74mm x 71mm|
|Valve Train||SOHC; two valves per cylinder|
|Ignition||Computer-controlled digital with 3-D mapping|
|Transmission||Five-speed including Overdrive, plus electric Reverse|
|Suspension||Front: 45mm cartridge fork with anti-dive system; 4.8 inches travel|
Rear: Pro Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link single shock with computer-controlled spring preload adjustment with two memory presets; 4.1 inches travel
|Brakes||Front: Dual full-floating 296mm discs with CBS three-piston calipers; optional ABS|
Rear: Single ventilated 316mm disc with CBS three-piston caliper; optional ABS
|Rake (Caster Angle)||29.15o|
|Trail||109mm (4.3 inches)|
|Seat Height||29.1 inches|
|Fuel Capacity:||6.7 gallons|
|Estimated Fuel Economy**||35 MPG|
|Colors||Pearl White, Candy Red, Ultra Blue Metallic, Black|
|Curb Weight*||904 - 933 pounds, depending on option packages selected|
**Honda’s fuel-economy estimates are based on EPA exhaust emission measurement test procedures and are intended for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you ride; how you maintain your vehicle; weather; road conditions; tire pressure; installation of accessories; cargo, rider and passenger weight; and other factors.
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride.
Meets current CARB and EPA standards.
New for 2012
- * 80-watt-per-channel power amplifier provides clear, crisp sound at all highway speeds.
- * Six-element speaker system includes two rear speakers, a pair of front speakers and two tweeters for a rich, full surround sound quality.
- * Tuner features auto bass control combined with auto volume control.
- * Five-position heated grips for cold-weather riding.
- * Five-position heated seat/backrest combination with individual rider and passenger controls for optimum comfort.
- * Foot-warming system channels engine-heated air over the rider’s feet and is controlled by a fairing-mounted lever.
- * The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) monitors pressure in both tires while riding. When a significantly underinflated tire pressure is detected, a warning light will display below the tachometer.
- * Slow-speed, electric Reverse system is engaged with the simple push of the thumb control on the right handlebar.
- * Lightweight electronic cruise-control system utilizes a 16-bit ECU-based, motor-actuated throttle mechanism.
- * A simple yet ingenious ratcheting windscreen-adjustment system provides six settings over nearly 4.0 inches of travel. Operated manually, the mechanism eliminates the weight and complexity of electric motors.
- * Adjustable and closeable windscreen vent routes fresh air to the rider’s face or chest.
- * The Gold Wing trunk provides 60 liters of storage capacity. Two full-face helmets fit easily in the trunk. Overall, the Gold Wing has a total of more than 150 liters of storage space between trunk, saddlebags and fairing pockets.
- * Specially designed luggage features a remote-control key lock, permitting pop-open rear trunk operation; remote lock/unlock for the trunk and saddlebags; and horn-actuated bike locator. If remote locking is attempted while a lid is open, the turn signals flash to alert the rider.
- * Instrument displays for speedometer, tachometer, coolant temperature and fuel level, plus adjustable backlighting and high-luminescence white pointers. Indicator/warning lights are provided for Reverse, Neutral, Overdrive, oil pressure, fuel injection, high beam, sidestand, cruise on, cruise set, low tire pressure and low fuel. A high-resolution LCD housed in a separate module is visible in all lighting conditions and displays the odometer, A/B tripmeter, ambient temperature, audio modes, CB, rear-suspension setting, trunk/saddlebag-open indicators and clock.
- * Motorized headlight-aiming system is operated by a rocker switch and provides 2.5 degrees of adjustment from level.
- * Large 6.7-gallon fuel tank houses the PGM-FI fuel pump and provides excellent long-distance cruising range.
- * 20-amp YTX maintenance-free battery.
Next-Generation Honda Satellite Linked Navigation System
- * New, fully integrated navigation system with new, brighter color screen
- * Next-generation receiver gives quicker satellite connection.
3-D terrain view, lane assist with junction view and more.
- * Complete United States and Canada mapping with points of interest installed.
- * Points-of-interest information includes Honda dealers, fuel stations, restaurants, lodging, attractions, transportation, government and emergency information and saved rider’s input with home function.
- * Voice prompting through headsets or speakers.
- * On-screen text guidance and pop-up menus.
- * Easy-to-use handlebar and fairing-mounted controls.
- * Navigation available on select Gold Wing models.