2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14
Sleek aerodynamics, unmatched power, acceleration, and stability combine to provide balance to company’s latest flagship
2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14
Horsepower @ RPM:159@0
Quarter Mile time:10.3 sec.
Top Speed:194 mph
Kawasaki ZX-14 engine performance is incredible, offering awesome acceleration the instant you twist the throttle, providing performance you have to experience to truly appreciate. Its secret? Nothing short of Suzuki’s most sophisticated technology. Including digital electronic fuel injection for crisp, instantaneous throttle response. And a unique version of Suzuki Ram Air DirectTM (SRAD) induction, with pressurized air ducted into a large-capacity airbox and forced into the engine through straight, downdraft intake tracts.
This most powerful of all Kawasaki-branded motorcycles was created to do everything right. Right from the beginning. Its aerodynamics reminds users that Kawasaki is indeed an aircraft maker. The blending of form, power, and handling characteristics have delivered a debut unit that is so balanced in all aspects that the word—ultimate—seems barely adequate to describe it.
This all new in-line four has evolved from the Ninja ZX-12R and features a bore and stroke of 84 x 61mm packed into a purposefully designed compact outline that minimizes engine width, leaving it at virtually the same width as the 12R.
A twist of the throttle delivers a seamless spread of torque that is so linear, the “power band,” per se, ceases to exist. Riders will pay particular attention to the impressive response that kicks in once the motor exceeds 6,000 rpm. Those that have ridden this newest Kawasaki flagship marvel at the torque response that makes pulling away from a total stop in almost any gear a possibility.
The engine uses a secondary balancer to tame unwanted vibrations, and a direct-actuation shift lever is lighter than conventional linkage-type set-ups, offering a more direct feel for the rider.
The ZX-14’s chassis design is every bit the equal of its power plant. It is an advanced version of Kawasaki’s unique aluminum monocoque frame, lightweight and very strong. This sophisticated approach gives the ZX-14 a responsive handling quality and incredible highway stability. By utilizing this frame technology, engineers were able to concentrate on delivering, as mentioned, a very slim, compact package. Inherently more rigid than twin-spar frames, and with the engine rigid-mounted, the monocoque’s strength is greatly increased.
With the engine positioned forward in the frame, engineers were able to carefully select the wheelbase and front/rear wheel weight balance to achieve both high speed stability and responsive handling. The ZX-14 uses an inverted 43mm cartridge fork and new Uni-Trak® linkage rear suspension to complement the highly rigid frame, thus offering both great controllability at high speeds and superb road holding when sport riding on twisting hill roads.
The engineers and designers sought to combine the utmost elements of today’s motorcycle technologies, yet still provide a package that is both approachable—and usable. The ZX-14 delivers seamless power, a smooth ride, and friendly ergonomics. Together, these characteristics are manifested in a ride that is surprisingly non-intimidating, yet still maintains the heart of the rebel so much a part of Kawasaki’s brand heritage.
Offering a very relaxed sport riding position, it is compact without being cramped, and the bars are positioned so riders don’t have to stretch to reach them. The narrow engine, monocoque frame, and fuel tank make it easy for the rider to keep his knees close together in any riding conditions. Footpegs are low-set to give ample legroom and the low seat height and narrow seat front make planting feet on the ground when stopped a cinch.
And when the rider is stopped, the motorcycle will be the center of attention. Because the monocoque frame goes over the engine and doesn’t protrude through the fairing, the fairing design lines are uninterrupted, giving it a smooth, flowing appearance, from front to rear. Quadruple projector beam headlights adorn the ZX-14’s front cowl, with the outer lights containing position lamps and high beams. Low beams are located in the two center lamps. The front and rear turn signals are integrated into the fairing and rear cowl, and the all new LED tail lamp features a unique “V” design.
That kind of performance demands world-class handling, and the Kawasaki ZX-14 delivers. Its solid chassis was developed using the latest lessons learned on the race track. And with fully adjustable, titanium-nitride/coated 43mm inverted front forks and a state-of-the-art rear suspension system, it offers precise responsiveness in tight corners and solid performance in sweeping turns - matched by a plush ride on the highway.
The 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 . Experience its performance and you’ll know why it’s known as the ultimate sport machine.
- Compact 4-stroke, four-cylinder liquid-cooled engine with DOHC, 16-valves, Twin Swirl
- Combustion Chambers, plus gear-driven counterbalancer for smooth operation
- Electronic fuel injection system, fed by 46mm throttle bodies and ram air intake with large volume airbox
- Lightweight shim-under-bucket valve train with narrow 14 degree valve angle for high combustion chamber efficiency
- High efficiency liquid cooling system for optimum engine operating temperature, including compact air-cooled oil cooler and oil-jet piston cooling
- SCEM (Suzuki Composite Electro-chemical Material) plated cylinders minimize cylinder size and improve heat dissipation
- 6-speed transmission with high-capacity clutch featuring back-torque limiter system for smooth downshifts and scissors-type primary gear for reduced gear noise
- Large volume 4-into-2 exhaust system with stainless steel head pipes and lightweight aluminum silencers
- Digital direct-ignition system combines an ignition coil with each spark plug cap for reduced weight and stronger spark
- Aerodynamic fairing design with low drag coefficient - all fairing components have been designed for reduced drag and turbulence
- Full instrumentation with ultra-thin step-motor construction. Includes fuel gauge, clock, temperature gauge, LCD odometer and twin tripmeters with fuel mileage indicator
- Unique, vertically mounted dual headlight provides a bright, wide beam with a 60W projector-type high-beam and a 55W low-beam halogen bulb
- Rigid twin-spar aluminum frame minimizes weight while maintaining high torsional strength
- Large diameter (43mm) inverted front forks with titanium-nitride-coated inner fork tubes and fully adjustable compression & rebound damping and spring preload, plus steering damper
- Proven link-type rear suspension with remote reservoir shock absorber - rear suspension features fully adjustable rebound damping and compression damping and spring preload
- Bridge-type swingarm with large diameter swingarm pivot shaft provides high swingarm rigidity
- Powerful front disc brakes with large 320mm discs and gold-colored 6-piston calipers
- Rear disc brake with 240mm disc and 2-piston caliper
- Radial tires mounted on lightweight 3-spoke aluminum wheels - wide 190-size rear tire is mounted on 6" wide rim
- Hinged fuel tank simplifies maintenance and provides easy access to the airbox and air filter.
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 Specifications
- Engine: 1299cc, 4-stroke, four-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve, TSCC
- Bore Stroke: 81.0 x 63.0mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.0:1
- Fuel System: Keihin/Denso Fuel Injection
- Lubrication: Wet sump
- Ignition: Digital/Transistorized
- Transmission: 6-speed, constant mesh
- Final Drive: #530 chain
- Overall Length: 2140mm (84.3 in.)
- Overall Width: 740mm (29.1 in.)
- Overall Height: 1155mm (45.5 in.)
- Seat Height: 805mm (31.7 in.)
- Ground Clearance: 120mm (4.7 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1485mm (58.5 in.)
- Dry Weight: 217kg (478 lbs.) 218kg (480 lbs.) CA. model
- Suspension Front: Inverted telescopic, coil spring, fully adjustable spring preload, 14-way adjustable rebound damping and 13-way adjustable compression damping
- Suspension Rear: Link-type, gas/oil damped, fully adjustable spring preload, 22-way adjustable compression & rebound damping
- Brakes Front: Dual hydraulic disc
- Brakes Rear: Single hydraulic disc
- Tires Front: 120/70-ZR-17
- Tires Rear: 190/50-ZR-17
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 21 liter (5.5 gal.) 19.0 liter (5.0 gal.) CA. model