2012 Kawasaki KLR 650
Whatever kind of surface the Kawasaki KLR 650 finds itself on, you’ll be sure that it’s going to stand out from the rest of the pack. Whether its in the sand, the dirt, the forests, and the pavement, the KLR 650 adapts to the environment with seamless ease.
The dual-sport bike’s versatility is a hallmark of Kawasaki engineering and combined with a rugged single-cylinder engine that provides incredible fuel efficiency, the KLR 650 is a clear choice as far as all-terrain riding is concerned.
An expansive, saddlebag-friendly, rear aluminum luggage rack that can be fitted with a tail bag helps make the KLR650 a worthy touring companion. The bike also has a large, 5.8-gallon fuel tank and exemplary fuel economy means the KLR650 can cover an amazing amount of ground between fill-ups. Comfort is without qualms too, thanks to an ergonomic set design that’s further enhanced by a plush urethane foam. A high-capacity 36-watt alternator is also an important element of the bike, pumping out enough juice for a high-output headlight with extra capacity providing power to its add-on electronic gadgets.
The bike is also powered by a single-cylinder, 651cc four-stroke engine that comes with a quick throttle response and a healthy low-end grunt. The engine finds a suitable match with the bike’s new suspension system, a 41mm fork with 7.9" of suspension travel up front, and a Uni-Trak" linkage system providing 7.3" of wheel travel in the rear. Likewise, braking duties for the KLR 650 are handled by a dual-piston caliper gripping a 280mm petal-style disc in the front, and a 240mm petal-style disc squeezed by a single-piston caliper in the rear.
This suspension and brake package, combined with the powerful 650cc engine, makes the KLR650 the ideal everyday commuter.
Find out more about the Kawasaki KLR 650 after the jump.
2012 Kawasaki KLR 650
Engine:single-cylinder four-stroke engine
- Compact combustion chamber allows increased compression ratio with less detonation yet provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
- Boosts low-end torque with sufficient power at all rpm
- Secondary air (ASV) system helps reduce harmful exhaust emissions
Chassis and Suspension
- Semi-double cradle frame made of high-tech, round-section, high-tensile steel
- Detachable rear subframe provides access to the rear shock, airbox and carburetor for easy maintenance
- Large rear cargo rack included
- Beefy, 41mm front fork with 7.9 inches of travel is rigid and plush enough to tackle on
- and off-road terrain and provide all-day comfort to the rider
- High-mounted front fender for any adventure-touring situation
- Rear Uni-Trak suspension features a five-way preload shock absorber with four-way rebound damping and 7.3 inches of rear wheel travel
- Progressive rate provides a smooth, controlled ride
- D-section swingarm contributes to the bike’s excellent traction
- Bodywork includes a large fairing for great wind protection
- Alternator output is 17 amps, with a total capacity of 36 watts to provide ample power for the headlight as well as add-on grip heaters and other accessories
- Easy-to-read instrument panel is mounted to the frame and includes a large-face speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip meter and water temperature gauge
- Urethane seat foam offers all-day comfort for long-distance riding
- Optional extended warranty
- Ultimate on and off-road motorcycle is the best-selling dual-sport seven years in a row
- Durable 651cc single-cylinder engine produces smooth, user-friendly power
- Comfortable wind protection and 6.1-gallon fuel tank allows for long-range adventure touring
- Aluminum rear cargo rack provides plenty of space for luggage
- 41mm telescopic fork supplies all-day rider comfort
- Adjustable Uni-Trak rear suspension offers a smooth, controlled ride
- Twin-piston front disc brake and single-piston rear disc brake furnish excellent stopping power
|Engine||Four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve single|
|Bore x Stroke||100.0 x 83.0mm|
|Frame Type||Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel|
|Rake/Trail||28 degrees / 4.4 in.|
|Front suspension / wheel travel||41mm telescopic fork / 7.9 in.|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel||Uni-Trak single-shock system with 5-way preload and stepless rebound damping / 7.3 in.|
|Front Tire Size||90/90x21|
|Rear Tire Size||130/80x17|
|Front brakes / rear brakes||Single 280mm petal-type disc, two-piston caliper / Single 240mm disc, single-piston caliper|
|Overall length||90.4 in.|
|Overall width||37.8 in.|
|Overall height||53.1 in.|
|Ground clearance||8.3 in.|
|Seat height||35.0 in.|
|Curb weight||432 lbs.|
|Fuel capacity||6.1 gal.|
Ultimate Motorcycling----"Powering this dual-sport icon is a 651cc single-cylinder four-stroke engine with liquid cooling and the a basic carburetor with great throttle response. The bike is tuned for low-end grunt for those rugged trails, and designed with long suspension travel up front (7.9 inches) and out back (7.3 inches)."