2013 Kawasaki KLX 250S
When it was introduced for the first time, the Kawasaki KLX 250S has manage to set new standards in the dual purpose bikes segment and since then it started to be considered a benchmark in its class.
For 2013, the bike received only style upgrades featuring new color and graphic schemes. Unfortunately, the technical specifications remained unchanged, so don’t expect to any power upgrades. Thankfully nobody had any significant complains on the old 249cc liquid cooled engine, so it’s not such a bad news after all. The engine features a 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor, an aluminum guard, an electric fan and dual lightweight, Denso radiators.
Like the previous generation, the 2013 model continues to be built on a lightweight, high-tensile steel frame, designed to keep the bike’s center of gravity to as low as possible to increase performance. The low center of gravity is combined with a short wheelbase which provides an extra tight turning radius helping you to move with agility even on the tightest tracks.
The stopping power is assured by twin-piston calipers which bite a 250mm semi-floating petal-shaped disc up front and a 240mm petal-shaped disc at the rear.
Hit the jump for more information on the Kawasaki KLX 250S
2013 Kawasaki KLX 250S
Engine:Four-stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, four-valve single
Rarely is a machine so well suited to multiple uses. The KLX®250S manages to carve out dual-sport fun for the rider seeking both dirt and street journeys leading to rewarding destinations. Light, nimble, and up to whatever the trail offers, this reliable, liquid-cooled motorcycle does double-duty as an efficient workday commuter that is able to pass-up gas stations while maneuvering through urban traffic crawls.
An easy push of the button starts the KLX 250S’ 249cc engine. That engine is mounted in a light, high-tensile steel perimeter frame, yielding a low center of gravity that translates into better maneuvering on tight trails. The 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor provides easy to use response and a broad, smooth power delivery – not to mention fantastic fuel economy. The KLX250S meets California air pollution regulations, making it an ideal urban commuter in all 50 states.
A highly refined six-speed transmission contains the right gear for everything from off-road crawling to highway cruising, with an advanced shift cam design for positive shift feel and consistent gear engagement.
The rigors of off-road motorcycling dictate additional protection for the exposed underside of the machine, so the KLX250S comes standard with an aluminum engine guard to protect its crankcase during off-road adventures. Negotiating tight terrain also highlights another off-road reality – heat. Dual lightweight, high-capacity Denso radiators and an electric fan provide ample cooling.
The KLX250S’s straight-line stability is enhanced by a rigid square-section main frame, yet its short wheelbase gives it outstanding turning aptitude. Complementing the chassis is a lightweight aluminum swingarm employing a highly rigid D-shaped cross section. KX™ racing-type chain adjusters allow for precise chain adjustments.
The KLX250S’s custom spring and damping settings, with slightly less wheel travel than a dedicated off-road machine, give a more planted feel in corners and make it easier for riders to reach the ground. The 43mm inverted cartridge-style front fork features 16-way adjustable compression damping and 10.0-inches of travel. The Uni-Trak® linkage-type rear suspension has 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping, providing 9.1-inches of wheel travel.
Strong, 4mm-thick spokes in the 21-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels provide excellent rigidity for enhanced off-road durability. The KLX250S also stops hard, thanks to twin-piston calipers squeezing a 250mm semi-floating petal-shaped disc up front and a 240mm petal-shaped disc at the rear.
Aggressively styled bodywork finishes off this powerful and rugged package, and a custom seat filled with firm urethane and a carefully chosen handlebar pull it all together for long, comfortable days on- and off- the road.
Riders seeking enduro handling and modern engine performance in a dual-purpose motorcycle designed for effortless street riding will find it at their local Kawasaki dealership. The KLX250S offers serious capabilities in a fun, easy-to-ride package, regardless of where the adventure takes it.
- and off-road capability means maximum versatility
- 249cc engine is liquid cooled for long engine life
- Adjustable 43mm fork offers excellent rigidity and consistent damping
- Adjustable Uni-Trak® rear suspension helps ensure a smooth ride and great handling
- Fully digital instrumentation has easy-to-read speedometer and tachometer
- Starting is easy with push-button electric start
- Six-speed transmission provides the right gear for any situation
- Brakes feature petal-style discs for superior stopping power
Single-Cylinder 249cc DOHC Engine
- Compact engine design is lightweight and high revving, with a broad torque curve
- Good mass centralization for superior handling
- Flat-top piston and pentroof combustion chamber deliver an 11:1 compression ratio
- Lightweight piston, piston pin and connecting rod enable higher revs for maximum power
- Aluminum cylinder features electrofusion coating, which allows a tight clearance between piston and cylinder for greater horsepower and increased engine life thanks to superior heat transfer and lubrication retention properties
- A gear-driven engine balancer provides smooth power delivery from idle to redline
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow, to boost low-end torque while providing improved high-rpm breathing efficiency for more power
- 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor delivers the optimum amount of fuel at all rpm, resulting in improved throttle response, greater power and excellent fuel economy
- Meets strict CARB regulations, so it’s available in all 50 states
- Dual high-capacity, vertical-flow Denso radiators provide reliable and efficient engine cooling
- Radiators feature tightly packed cores and a fin design for excellent heat dispersion
- More consistent engine temperatures allow tighter engine clearances for quieter running and sustained power, while promoting longer engine life
- Cooling fan is powered by a shallow-footprint electric motor
- Quick and easy push-button starting
- Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR) automatically lifts one of the exhaust valves at cranking rpm, for reduced starting effort
- Secondary air system helps provide clean emissions
- USFS-approved spark arrestor lets the KLX®250S access designated off-road public riding areas
- Allows engine’s full potential to be used
- Provides excellent acceleration as well as relaxed highway cruising
Einverted Front Forks
- 43mm inverted cartridge fork offers excellent rigidity and consistent damping performance
- 10.0-inch wheel travel means straight-line stability, great handling and a low seat height
- 16-way compression damping adjustment allows tuning for differences in rider weight and terrain
Uni-Trak Rear Suspension
- 9.1-inches of rear wheel travel for straight-line stability, great handling and a low seat height
- Progressive linkage rate provides a smooth ride and excellent bottoming resistance
- The gas-charged remote-reservoir shock features 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping
- Lightweight, high-tensile steel for amazing rigidity
- No downtubes, for lower engine placement and lower center of gravity as well as ample ground clearance
- Lightweight, aluminum D-section swingarm is highly rigid and reduces unsprung weight
- KX™ racing-type chain adjusters allow precise adjustment to minimize drivetrain power losses
- KLX-spec handlebar for a more relaxed position and effortless control
- Footpegs are positioned close to the bike’s centerline
- KLX-spec seat shape and foam make it easier to change seating position
- Aggressive headlight and front fender design
- Two-piece radiator shrouds styled like the KX motocross line
- Rear fender is a two-piece unit featuring a sharp taillight design that offers great visibility and further contributes to the KLX 250S’ aggressive styling
Narrow Fuel Tank
- Narrow tank design gives riders maximum comfort and control without sacrificing capacity
- All-digital instrument console gives at-a-glance information, including a digital bar graph tachometer, digital speedometer, clock, and dual trip meters
Petal-Shaped Disc Brakes
- Front and rear disc brakes offer impressive stopping performance
- Twin-piston caliper grips a 250mm petal-shaped disc up front
- 240mm rear petal-shaped disc for great power, feel and feedback
Wheels and Tires
- Fat, 4mm spokes for greater off-road durability
- Tires with small tread blocks for longer tire life and increased grip on asphalt
|Engine||Four-stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, four-valve single|
|Bore x Stroke||72.0 x 61.2mm|
|Frame Type||Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel|
|Rake/Trail||26.5 degrees / 4.1 in.|
|Front suspension / wheel travel||43mm inverted cartridge fork with 16-way compression damping adjustment / 10.0 in.|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel||Uni-Trak® with adjustable preload, 16-way compression and rebound damping adjustment / 9.1 in.|
|Front Tire Size||80/100x21|
|Rear Tire Size||100/100x18|
|Front brakes / rear brakes||250mm semi-floating petal disc with two-piston hydraulic caliper / 240mm petal disc with single-piston hydraulic caliper|
|Overall length||86.6 in.|
|Overall width||32.3 in.|
|Overall Height||47.4 in.|
|Seat height||35.0 in.|
|Ground clearance||11.2 in.|
|Fuel capacity||2.0 gal.|
|Curb weight||297.7 lbs.|
|Color Choices||Lime Green, Bright White|
|Good Times™ Protection Plan||12, 24, 36 or 48 months|