2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
The Kawasaki KLR is a versatile motorcycle designed for those who want a practical reliable and tough dual purpose bike.
The motorcycle is built around a four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve single cylinder engine. The engine is fed by a 6.1 gallons fuel tank and its power is kept in leash by a five speed transmission.
The engine delivers a low-end power and a linear throttle response to help you deal effortless with both city and highway traffic.
As far as suspensions are concerned, the Honda Aviator if fitted with a 41mm fork with 7.9 inches of suspension travel and Uni-Trak linkage system that offers 7.3 inches of wheel travel.
The motorcycle’s speed is kept in check by a dual-piston caliper gripping a 280mm petal-style disc in the front, and a 240mm petal-style disc squeezed by a single-piston caliper in the rear.
Hit the jump for more information on the Honda KLR.
2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Engine:Four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve single
Still King of the Dual-Sport Class
That the Kawasaki KLR™650 dual purpose motorcycle has remained firmly atop the sales charts in the dual-sport category for nearly a decade is no surprise. Designed from the very beginning to be rugged, fuel efficient and capable of carrying enough cargo to make a pack mule jealous, the KLR also provides effective wind protection for increased long-distance comfort, making it an unbeatable value for adventure-minded riders seeking to follow the horizon wherever it leads.
KLR’s hearty single-cylinder, 651cc, four-stroke engine provides ample torque and horsepower to propel this globe-trotting explorer down almost any road or trail, and its healthy low-end grunt and linear throttle response maximize traction regardless of the terrain, so everything from exploring the outback to threading through rush-hour traffic can be handled with the same high level of proficiency.
Matching the engine’s abilities every step of the way is the KLR650’s suspension. A 41mm fork with 7.9 inches of suspension travel up front and a Uni-Trak® linkage system providing 7.3 inches of wheel travel in the rear combine to make the KLR650 a fun, functional commuter during the week and an adept backroad blaster on weekends.
Braking duties are handled by a dual-piston caliper gripping a 280mm petal-style disc in the front, and a 240mm petal-style disc squeezed by a single-piston caliper in the rear. This suspension and brake package boosts the KLR650’s on-road performance without diminishing its versatile off-road capabilities.
An expansive, saddlebag-friendly, rear luggage rack that can be fitted with a tail bag helps to make the KLR650 a worthy touring companion. A large, 6.1-gallon fuel tank and exemplary fuel economy mean the KLR650 can cover an amazing amount of ground between fill-ups.
That fuel range can translate into a long day in the saddle, so good wind protection is a must. This important job is handled by the frame-mounted bodywork, which includes a tall windscreen and large shrouds. Rider comfort is enhanced further by the seat design and plush urethane foam. A high-capacity 36-watt alternator pumps out enough juice for a high-output headlight and has the extra capacity to power the add-on electronic gadgets that no touring rider can live without.
The KLR650’s competent on-road performance continues once the pavement stops. A tough engine guard keeps loose rocks and gravel at bay, while its U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor grants the KLR650 access to any terrain open to licensed vehicles. Add the optional Kawasaki tank, tail and saddlebags, and you have a recipe for long-distance exploration, beckoning KLR650 owners to enjoy on- and off-road adventures.
2014 Kawasaki KLR 650 Key Features
• Ultimate on
• and off-road adventure motorcycle is an annual best-seller
• Durable 651cc single-cylinder engine produces smooth, user-friendly power
• Comfortable wind protection and 6.1-gallon fuel tank allows for long-range adventure touring
• Composite rear cargo rack provides plenty of space for luggage
• 41mm telescopic fork supplies all-day rider comfort
• Adjustable Uni-Trak® rear suspension offers a smooth, controlled ride
• Twin-piston front disc brake and single-piston rear disc brake furnish excellent stopping power
2014 Kawasaki KLR 650 Features and Benefits
• Compact combustion chamber allows increased compression ratio with less detonation yet provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
• Boosts low-end torque with sufficient power at all rpm
• Secondary air (ASV) system helps reduce exhaust emissions
• Thin and lightweight Denso radiator fitted with a lightweight and thin cooling fan for maximum cooling efficiency, even at low speeds
• Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
• Allows tighter engine clearances for quieter running
• Includes a temperature gauge
• Fully transistorized ignition unit more precisely controls timing no matter how fast the rpm changes
• Long, trouble-free lifespan
• The engine’s broad torque curve means only five speeds are needed for off-road sprinting and relaxed highway cruising
• O-ring drive chain for reduced maintenance and long chain service life
• Protects engine from rocks and trail debris when the going gets tough
• Semi-double cradle frame made of high-tech, round-section, high-tensile steel
• Detachable rear subframe provides access to the rear shock, airbox and carburetor for easy maintenance
• Large rear cargo rack included
Additional comfort and touring features
• Bodywork includes a large fairing for great wind protection
• Alternator output is 17 amps, with a total capacity of 36 watts to provide ample power for the headlight as well as add-on grip heaters and other accessories
• Easy-to-read instrument panel is mounted to the frame and includes a large-face speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip meter and water temperature gauge
• Urethane seat foam offers all-day comfort for long-distance riding
• Optional extended warranty
|Engine type||Four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve single|
|Bore x Stroke||100.0 x 83.0mm|
|Frame Type||Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel|
|Rake/Trail||28 degrees / 4.4 in.|
|Front suspension / wheel travel||41mm telescopic fork / 7.9 in.|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel||Uni-Trak® single-shock system with 5-way preload and stepless rebound damping / 7.3 in.|
|Front Tire Size||90/90x21|
|Rear Tire Size||130/80x17|
|Front brakes / rear brakes||Single 280mm petal-type disc, two-piston caliper / Single 240mm disc, single-piston caliper|
|Overall length||90.4 in.|
|Overall width||37.8 in.|
|Overall height||53.1 in.|
|Ground clearance||8.3 in.|
|Seat height||35.0 in.|
|Curb weight||432 lbs.|
|Fuel capacity||6.1 gal.|
|Color Choices||Ebony, Lime Green, Pearl / Stardust White|
|Good Times™ Protection Plan||12, 24, 36 or 48 months|
The Kawasaki KLR650 is a tough dual sport bike that feels great when it rides through the city, but is also able to offer decent performances on the tougher terrains or highways.
You’ll be also happy to know that the motorcycle’s engine offers a decent amount of power and the transmission is impeccable. You won’t complain about the motorcycle’s ergonomics either as the riding position is fairly relaxed and the instruments are easy to read. However, the saddle could be considered a bit high for the shorter riders.
The tall handlebars that are indispensable for off road riding will affect the motorcycle’s abilities to change lanes at high speeds.