2014 Kawasaki KLX 140
Inspiring confidence and agility, the 2014 Kawaski KLX 140 is here to tackle any terrain with poise. Like its predecessors, the 2014 model year was carefully designed to be a perfect match for the beginner riders who want to learn the secrets of off-road riding.
It is propelled by a 144c, four-stroke, SOHC, two-valve single engine which breaths through a Keihin PB20 carburetor and is kept in leash by a five-speed transmission with wet multi-disc manual clutch.
The engine is brought to life by an electric starter and is linked to a compact 1.5 gallons fuel tank.
The motorcycle’s backbone is represented by a light yet rigid high tensile steel perimeter frame which sits on a 33mm telescopic fork and a rear Uni-Trak linkage-equipped shock absorber that features 5-way preload adjustability.
The 2014 Kawasaki KLX 140 is offered with a base price of $3.099.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2014 Kawasaki KLX 140.
2014 Kawasaki KLX 140
High Performance Has Never Been More User Friendly
Just like its smaller KLX®110 dirtbike cousins, the robust KLX140 will tame the toughest off-road conditions while remaining flexible enough to maximize off-road adventure regardless of rider age or skill level. Its moderate 30.7 in. seat height means the KLX140 will easily fit shorter riders who are looking to ride a real dirtbike.
Thanks to the convenience of its electric start, bringing the KLX140 to life is as simple as pressing the power switch and thumbing its start button. Its power switch includes an internal LED to remind riders when the ignition is on, preventing accidental battery drain. Its smooth and powerful 144cc four-stroke engine is easy to manage via a progressive manual clutch and five-speed, close-ratio transmission. A progressive clutch means that younger and beginning riders can more easily get the hang of shifting and clutch use, and half-clutch can be used at extremely low speeds to simplify the learning process while offering a direct feel and tremendous durability.
The KLX140’s high-revving engine is wrapped in a high-tensile steel perimeter frame covered by KX™-like shrouds, a two-tone seat cover and sharp, aggressive body work. A roomy cockpit, overall control layout and narrow footpeg/frame relationship – including wide and comfortable footpegs – make it easy for riders to move around while aboard with a minimum of effort.
A 33mm telescopic fork featuring custom-tuned spring rate and damping settings handles suspension duties up front. In back, a Uni-Trak® linkage-equipped rear shock featuring 5-way preload adjustability provides a smooth and controlled ride. To provide even greater options for growing riders, the KLX140L’s more advanced, reservoir-equipped shock easily fits the standard KLX140.
RK EXCEL aluminum rims and advanced braking components are another sign this is a serious off-road motorcycle. A large, 220mm front disc and 27mm twin-piston caliper at the front and 186mm rear disc provide exceptional stopping power. Both utilize petal shaped rotors, which help clean the brakes and reduce unsprung weight for better wheel control.
Bottom line? The KLX140 delivers the perfect blend of size and performance, all of which equals big fun for kids and adults alike.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
At A Glance…
- * 144cc air-cooled, single-cylinder engine is simple to operate and to maintain
- * Close-ratio 5-speed transmission makes optimum use of the engine’s power
- * Progressive manual clutch offers young riders the chance to master clutch engagement and gear shifting
- * Keyless electric starting via a starter button on the handlebar; an LED indicates when the power button is on to help prevent accidental battery drain
- * Front 220mm petal disc and large-bore 27mm twin-piston caliper (same size as those on the KX™450F/250F) for strong and easy-to-control braking
- * Quiet muffler is equipped with a USFS-approved spark arrester, meaning the KLX®140L can access designated public off-road riding areas
144 cc air-cooled, single-cylinder engine
- * Reliable and easy to use lightweight engine is simple to operate and maintain
- * Engine revs easily and allows riders to use the engine’s full rpm range up to the rev limiter at 10,500 rpm
- * Exhaust pipe is curved to achieve optimum length for good power characteristics
- * Quiet muffler is equipped with a USFS-approved spark arrester, meaning the KLX140 can access designated public off-road riding areas
- * Air filter is washable, reusable, easily accessed and highly effective in dusty riding conditions
- * Keyless electric starting via handlebar-mounted button
- * Orange LED light activates when the power button is depressed, indicating that power is “ON” to help prevent accidental battery drain
- * Digital CDI ignition helps ensure quick, reliable starts
- * Oval piston-valve Keihin PB20 carburetor features several Kawasaki-original modifications to provide stable fuel delivery under rough off-road conditions
- * Partitions in the float chamber keep the fuel from sloshing excessively, while an umbrella around the main jet traps fuel when riding on rough terrain or jumping
- * Dual air vents help provide a stable fuel supply even when the bike is at extreme lean angles
- * Needle valve is suspended on a spring, which acts like a shock absorber
- * Float material is rubber instead of plastic
Close-ratio 5-Speed transmission
- * Close gear ratios help the acceleration performance of the KLX140
- * Shift lever features a ball bearing design for easy shifting like KX™ models, and has a folding tip for reduced crash damage
Progressive manual clutch
- * Manual clutch offers young riders the chance to master clutch engagement and gear shifting
- * Spring damper in the clutch provides a 2-stage engagement that permits half-clutch use when riding at extremely low rpm or idling speeds, and helps provide better clutch feel and durability
Box-section perimeter frame
- * Ready for the off-road abuse, the highly rigid, KX-inspired high-tensile steel perimeter frame uses the same upper tubes as its older-brother, the KLX250S
- * Aluminum swingarm is lightweight, strong and features a brushed finish just like the KX machines
- * KX-style chain adjusters for ease of use and accurate chain adjustment
- * 33mm telescopic fork has spring rates and damping settings specific to each model
- * KLX140 rear shock features 5-way preload adjustability and a Uni-Trak® linkage
- * More advanced KLX140L rear shock and reservoir can be mounted on the KLX140 for faster riders
- * Strong, high-grade die-cast hubs offer the same durability as those on the KX models
- * Durable, lightweight RK EXCEL aluminum rims are featured on the KLX’s 17/14-inch front/rear wheels
Petal disc brakes front & rear
- * Front 220mm petal disc and large-bore 27mm twin-piston caliper (same size as those on the KX450F/250F) offer strong and easy-to-control braking
- * Rear brake uses a 186mm petal disc gripped by a 27mm single-piston caliper
- * Rear brake master cylinder features a large-volume, unitized reservoir that contributes to stable braking and helps ensure sufficient fluid pressure, even when the brake pad wears down
- * The wave shape of the petal discs help clean the brake pads for more efficient braking performance and reduce unsprung weight
- * Flat-shaped box-section of frame, long footpegs mounted close to the bike’s centerline and no kick-start lever combine to offer riders better feel and control
- * Footpeg/frame relationship is modeled after the KX models for maximum leg grip
- * Handlebar is rubber-mounted to reduce vibration felt by the rider’s hands
- * Two-piece upper triple clamp and handlebar mounts allow easy installation of aftermarket bars
- * Raised pattern on half of the handgrip surface improves rider grip and comfort
- * Two-tone seat cover has a slip-resistant top surface for improved grip and smooth sides for excellent rider mobility when standing
Sharp, aggressive bodywork styling
- * Box-section perimeter frame features advanced styling similar to that of the KX racers
- * Two-piece shrouds with ventilation holes inspired by the top-of-the-line KX race machines
- * Fuel tank cover provides a smooth transition from tank to shroud, and contributes to the high level fit and finish
- * Eye-catching box muffler design protrudes as little as possible from behind the side cover and features a plastic muffler end-cap that offers a surface that’s cooler to the touch than steel
|Engine||Four-stroke, SOHC, two-valve single|
|Bore x Stroke||58.0 x 54.4mm|
|Transmission||Five-speed with wet multi-disc manual clutch|
|Frame Type||High-Tensile steel, box-section perimeter|
|Rake/Trail||27 degrees / 3.3 in.|
|Front suspension / wheel travel||33mm telescopic fork / 7.1 in.|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel||UNI-TRAK® linkage system and single shock with 5-way preload adjustability / 7.1 in.|
|Front Tire Size||70/100-17|
|Rear Tire Size||90/100-14|
|Front brakes / rear brakes||Single 220mm petal disc with a dual-piston caliper / Single 186mm petal disc with single-piston caliper|
|Overall length||71.7 in.|
|Overall width||31.1 in.|
|Overall height||41.3 in.|
|Ground clearance||9.3 in.|
|Seat height||30.7 in.|
|Curb weight||205.0 lbs.|
|Fuel capacity||1.5 gal.|
|Color Choices||Lime Green|
|Warranty||6 months base warranty|
|Good Times™ Protection Plan||12, 24, or 36 months|