2014 Kawasaki KLX 250S
With its high ground clearance, the grippy tyres and the solid frame, the Kawasaki KLX 250S is the perfect motorcycle for off road riding.
The Kawasaki KLX 250S is powered by a four-stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, four-valve single cylinder engine with a displacement of 249cc.
The engine is mated on a six speed transmission and is mounted on a semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel frame that keeps the center of gravity to a low level improving the bike’s handling and stability.
To be able to tackle any type of track with poise the motorcycle needed a set of long travel suspensions therefore you get a 43mm inverted cartridge fork with 16-way compression damping adjustment and a Uni-trak rear suspension with adjustable preload, 16-way compression and rebound damping adjustment.
As far as the stopping power is concerned the KLX 250S comes with petal-style disc brakes.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2013 Kawasaki KLX 250S.
2014 Kawasaki KLX 250S
Engine:Four-stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, four-valve single
Have Fun Wherever You Ride
Giant engines and a ton of gadgetry aren’t necessary to have a great time on two wheels. Take the Kawasaki KLX®250S, dual-purpose motorcycle for example. On the pavement it is a well-mannered, easy-to-ride motorcycle that can easily keep pace with traffic on the freeway. But when the pavement ends and the open country begins, the light and nimble KLX250S’ torquey liquid-cooled engine and adjustable front and rear suspension help it tame the toughest trails. All that capability is also paired with outstanding efficiency, making the 2014 KLX250S a superbly practical commuter.
A quick press of the KLX250S’ electric start button brings its 249cc engine to life. A 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor provides easy-to-use response and a broad, smooth power delivery. Its fantastic fuel economy means you’ll be passing a lot of gas stations between fill-ups, and the KLX250S meets California air pollution regulations, making it an ideal choice in all 50 states. That engine is mounted in a light, high-tensile steel perimeter frame, yielding a low center of gravity that translates into better maneuvering in traffic and on tight trails.
A highly refined six-speed transmission contains the right gear for everything from off-road crawling to highway cruising, with an advanced shift cam design for positive shift feel and consistent gear engagement.
The rigors of off-road motorcycling dictate additional protection for the exposed underside of the machine, so the KLX250S comes standard with an aluminum engine guard to protect its crankcase during off-road adventures. Negotiating tight terrain also highlights another off-road reality – heat. Dual lightweight, high-capacity Denso radiators and an electric fan provide ample cooling.
The KLX250S’ straight-line stability is enhanced by a rigid square-section main frame, yet its short wheelbase gives it outstanding turning aptitude. Complementing the chassis is a lightweight aluminum swingarm employing a highly rigid D-shaped cross section. KX™ racing-type chain adjusters allow for precise chain adjustments.
The KLX250S’ custom spring and damping settings, with slightly less wheel travel than a dedicated off-road machine, give a more planted feel in corners and make it easier for riders to reach the ground. The 43mm inverted cartridge-style front fork features 16-way adjustable compression damping and 10.0 inches of travel. The Uni-Trak® linkage-type rear suspension has 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping, providing 9.1 inches of wheel travel.
Strong, 4mm-thick spokes in the 21-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels provide excellent rigidity for enhanced off-road durability. The KLX250S also stops with authority, thanks to twin-piston calipers squeezing a 250mm semi-floating petal-shaped disc up front and a 240mm petal-shaped disc at the rear.
Aggressively styled bodywork complements the peppy engine and rugged chassis, and a custom seat filled with firm urethane and a carefully chosen handlebar pull it all together for long, comfortable days on and off the road.
Riders seeking enduro handling and modern engine performance in a dual-purpose motorcycle designed for effortless street riding will find it at their local Kawasaki dealership. The KLX250S offers serious capabilities in a fun, easy-to-ride package, regardless of where the adventure takes it.
2014 Kawasaki KLX 250S Key Features
• On and off-road capability means maximum versatility
• 249cc engine is liquid cooled for performance and durability
• Adjustable 43mm fork offers excellent rigidity and consistent damping
• Adjustable Uni-Trak® rear suspension helps ensure a smooth ride and great handling
• Fully digital instrumentation has easy-to-read speedometer and tachometer
• Starting is easy with push-button electric start
• Six-speed transmission provides the right gear for any situation
• Brakes feature petal-style discs for superior stopping power
2014 Kawasaki KLX 250S Features and Benefits
• Compact engine design is lightweight and high revving, with a broad torque curve
• Good mass centralization for superior handling
• Flat-top piston and pentroof combustion chamber deliver an 11:1 compression ratio
• Lightweight piston, piston pin and connecting rod enable higher revs for maximum power
• Aluminum cylinder features electrofusion coating, which allows a tight clearance between piston and cylinder for greater horsepower and increased engine life thanks to superior heat transfer and lubrication retention properties
• A gear-driven engine balancer provides smooth power delivery from idle to redline
• Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow, to boost low-end torque while providing improved high-rpm breathing efficiency for more power
• 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor delivers the optimum amount of fuel at all rpm, resulting in improved throttle response, greater power and excellent fuel economy
• Meets strict CARB regulations, so it’s available in all 50 states
• Dual high-capacity, vertical-flow Denso radiators provide reliable and efficient engine cooling
• Radiators feature tightly packed cores and a fin design for excellent heat dispersion
• More consistent engine temperatures allow tighter engine clearances for quieter running and sustained power, while promoting longer engine life
• Cooling fan is powered by a shallow-footprint electric motor
• Allows engine’s full potential to be used
• Provides excellent acceleration as well as relaxed highway cruising
• Aggressive headlight and front fender design
• Two-piece radiator shrouds styled like the KX motocross line
• Rear fender is a two-piece unit featuring a sharp tail light design that offers great visibility and further contributes to the KLX250S’ aggressive styling
• Secondary air system helps provide clean emissions
• USFS-approved spark arrestor lets the KLX®250S access designated off-road public riding areas
|Engine type||Four-stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, four-valve single|
|Bore x Stroke||72.0 x 61.2mm|
|Frame Type||Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel|
|Rake/Trail||26.5 degrees / 4.1 in.|
|Front suspension / wheel travel||43mm inverted cartridge fork with 16-way compression damping adjustment / 10.0 in.|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel||Uni-Trak® with adjustable preload, 16-way compression and rebound damping adjustment / 9.1 in.|
|Front Tire Size||80/100x21|
|Rear Tire Size||100/100x18|
|Front brakes / rear brakes||250mm semi-floating petal disc with two-piston hydraulic caliper / 240mm petal disc with single-piston hydraulic caliper|
|Overall length||86.6 in.|
|Overall width||32.3 in.|
|Overall Height||47.4 in.|
|Seat height||35.0 in.|
|Ground clearance||11.2 in.|
|Fuel capacity||2.0 gal.|
|Curb weight||297.7 lbs.|
|Color Choices||Ebony, Lime Green|
|Good Times™ Protection Plan||12, 24, 36 or 48 months|
The Kawasaki KLX 250S has a lot to love. Its features an agile stance, long travel suspensions and top spec components. Moreover, thanks to its light weight it provides an optimal platform for a wide range of riding styles, from light commuting to the toughest tracks.
In terms of power the motorcycle’s 249 c engine has enough grunt and low end power to keep you out of trouble every time you deal with difficult sections and you won’t have any complaints about the transmission and handling either.