2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS
Kawasaki revealed its 2014 Vulcan 1700 Voyager. This Japanese cruiser represents a pretty good alternative for those who are looking for a cheaper alternative to the American cruisers.
At the heart of the motorcycle lies a liquid-cooled, four valves per cylinder, fuel-injected 1,700cc 52-degree V-twin engine that is combined with semi-dry sump, electronic throttle, digital injection and cruise control.
The unit delivers a maximum torque of 108 Lb-Ft at 2,750 Rpm and is mated to a six speed transmission with overdrive.
The stopping power is assured by a modern co-active ABS braking paired with dual 300 mm front disc brakes with four-piston calipers and a two-piston rear disc brake for sure, powerful stops.
The 2014 model year comes with improved ergonomics and better whether protection. The Voyager also features a large frame-mounted fairing, lots of storage places and a high-fidelity sound system.
The 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS comes with a base price of $19,399 and is offered in Metallic Warm Gray/Metallic Spark Black, Candy Fire Red/Metallic Warm Gray.
Hit the jump for more information on the Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager.
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS
Engine:Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valve per cylinder, 52° V-twin
Torque @ RPM:108
Energy:Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI)
Cruiser Style with Complete Touring Credentials
While any motorcycle can be ridden long distances if the rider is determined, only a special few truly deserve to be called a touring cruiser. The Vulcan® 1700 Voyager® is one of those rare machines. The Voyager delivers the muscular performance you’d expect from a torquey 1,700cc V-twin powerplant and combines it with the classic styling discriminating cruiser riders demand. Mix in Kawasaki’s engineering expertise and reputation for dependability, and you’ve got a motorcycle that will carry you reliably coast-to-coast—and back again.
However, touring is also about a bike’s carrying capacity and comfort of both a rider and passenger for days—or weeks—in the saddle. Voyager features a large frame-mounted fairing, beautifully integrated luggage that stows a week’s worth of gear, a comfortable saddle, electronic cruise control, and high-fidelity sound system all to offer the perfect location for watching the scenery change along with the time zones. As if that weren’t enough, the Voyager also includes the K-ACT II anti-lock/integrated braking system while still keeping the MSRP thousands lower than comparable models.
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS Key Features:
- * Powerful 1,700cc V-twin delivers impressive levels of torque and immediate passing power
- * Six-speed transmission for effortless acceleration and relaxed cruising at highway speeds
- * Kawasaki’s sophisticated K-ACT II ABS system builds rider confidence by helping execute controlled, balanced braking
- * cruise control maintains speed, reducing rider fatigue on long trips, and interfaces with the electronic throttle valve system for smooth operation
- * , frame-mounted fairing provides the rider and passenger better wind protection than handlebar mounted units
- * Lower color-matched fairings increase wind protection and rider comfort for legs
- * Large, color matched trunk holds two full-face helmets
- * Weatherproof, lockable, color matched, top-opening hard saddlebags offer ample, easy to pack storage
- * Feature-rich, AM/FM/WB audio system with iPod and XM radio compatibility is standard equipment
- * Navigation Audio Prompt Capability plays voice prompts from Garmin Zumo 600/665 GPS devices through the motorcycle’s audio system or Kawasaki Genuine Accessory helmet headsets
- * Kawasaki Air Management System (KAMS) routes away engine heat, maximizing rider and passenger comfort when stopped or at very low speeds in warm weather
- * Low 28.7-inch seat height enhances rider comfort and confidence
- * Compact and upright ergonomics improve rider comfort for all-day rides
- * Includes a 36 month limited factory warranty. Optional supplementary plans offer a maximum of 36 additional months of Kawasaki’s Protection Plus™ coverage—bumping the total possible warranty to an amazing SIX YEARS!
Kawasaki Advanced Coactive-braking Technology (K-ACT) ABS
- * Voyager ABS features Kawasaki’s sophisticated K-ACT II system, which helps riders to execute controlled, balanced braking. Designed to complement the riders’ brake inputs, the system distributes the ideal amount of brake pressure to maximize braking efficiency
- * Low battery mode maintains ABS function while reducing signal frequency to conserve power when needed
- * For increased controllability in tight corners and when executing U-turns, K-ACT’s coactive function does not engage when braking is initiated at speeds below 12 mph
- * ABS function is disengaged at speeds below 4 mph
- * Dual 300mm front disc brakes with four-piston calipers and a two-piston rear disc brake for sure, powerful stops
Powerful 1700cc V-twin Engine
- * Liquid-cooled, four valves per cylinder, fuel-injected 1,700cc 52-degree V-twin engine
- * Long-stroke 102 x 104mm bore and stroke dimensions help deliver high levels of torque with a distinctive V-twin feel
- * Valve system uses a single overhead cam arrangement instead of pushrods for quicker revving and enhanced mid to high-rpm power
- * Semi-dry sump allows a lower crankshaft placement and a longer piston stroke without increasing engine height
- * Single-pin crank accentuates the engine’s V-twin character by providing stronger power pulses
- * Large capacity airbox is located on both sides of the engine
- * Dual mufflers, one on each side of the bike, allow maximum clearance for luggage
- * Engine tuning offers superior acceleration in the 50 to 70 mph range
- * Even in overdrive, the engine pulls strongly in this speed range, facilitating overtaking at highway speeds
- * Cruise control can be engaged and adjusted entirely from the right handlebar
- * Cruise control can be activated in 3rd gear or above at any speed between 30 mph and 85 mph
- * Pressure on the brake lever, clutch lever or rear brake pedal automatically disengages the cruise control, as will manually rolling off the throttle
Classic V-twin Appeal
- * Basic architecture has a significant impact on a V-twin engine’s appearance
- * The line created by the top of the airbox and the cylinder heads forms a curved shape that continues to flow through the bike
- * Deeply chromed engine covers have curved upper surfaces. Their three-dimensional form adds volume and gives a quality appearance
- * The edges of the cooling fins receive a special NC treatment that makes them gleam in sunlight
- * All the non-chromed parts of the engine have a matte black finish that further accentuates the chromed parts
Classic Retro Dashboard
- * Instrument layout and large round dials give the Voyager’s console a classic automotive elegance, which is reinforced by the font used in the instrumentation
- * Even the radio has a classic look, reminiscent of the 1960s
- * Multi-function LCD display in the center of the instrument console is controlled by switches on the right handlebar. Features include a gear position indicator, fuel gauge, clock, odometer, dual trip meters, remaining range and average fuel consumption
- * Audio system with twin speakers features radio (FM/AM/WX) and compatibility with optional iPod®, XM tuner or CB radio units
- * The audio system (and iPod) can be operated by switches on the left handlebar
- * GPS Navigation Audio Prompt Capability can play navigation voice prompts from Garmin Zumo 600 or 665 series GPS devices through the motorcycle’s audio system or Genuine Kawasaki Accessory helmet headsets
- * Ignition switch allows key removal in the on position; preventing keys from damaging the chrome finish around the ignition area during operation
- * Turning the ignition switch collar to the ACC position allows accessories to be used while the engine is off and turning it to the “OFF” position turns the engine off and necessitates re-insertion of the key to restart
- * 13.2-gallon (50L) lockable trunk is large enough to fit two full-face helmets
- * Top-opening side cases are sealed and lockable, with a volume of 10 gallons (38L) each
- * Up front, lockable glove boxes provide a handy place for storing small items and accessories. An iPod jack (optional connector required) is located in the left-side glove box
|Engine type||Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valve per cylinder, 52° V-twin|
|Displacement||1,700cc / 103.7ci|
|Bore x Stroke||102 x 104mm|
|Maximum Torque||108 lb-ft @ 2,750 rpm|
|Cooling System||Liquid, plus cooling fins|
|Ignition||TCBI with Digital Advance|
|Induction||DFI® with dual 42mm throttle bodies|
|Transmission||Six-speed with overdrive|
|Frame Type||Steel, double-cradle with box-section single-tube backbone|
|Rake/Trail||30° / 7.0 in.|
|Front Suspension / wheel travel||45mm hydraulic fork / 5.5 in.|
|Rear Suspension / wheel travel||Swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks, with 4-way rebound damping / 3.1 in.|
|Front Tire Size||130/90x16|
|Rear Tire Size||170/70x16|
|Brakes, front / rear||Dual 300 mm discs, dual four-piston calipers, K-ACT II ABS / Dual 300 mm discs, dual four-piston calipers, K-ACT II ABS|
|Ground Clearance||5.3 in.|
|Curb weight||895 lbs.**|
|Fuel capacity||5.3 gal.|
|Color Choices||Metallic Warm Gray / Metallic Spark Black, Candy Fire Red / Metallic Warm Gray|
|Good Times™ Protection Plan||12, 24 or 36 months|
** Curb weight includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90 percent capacity) and tool kit (if supplied).
The Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager is a fairly comfortable, no-nonsense tourer that comes at a relatively affordable price compared to its American rivals.
It was created for those who prefer the long straight roads and put more accent on comfort features, storage and wheatear protection than sporty performances and cornering agility.
Though, this doesn’t mean that the Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager isn’t a strong motorcycle. Its engine cranks out more than enough power to reward you with a great riding experience, being able to keep it up with highway traffic without too much fuss.