2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
With its low slung stature, fat, tyres and the classic design language the 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic continues to be a tasty midsized cruiser that has a lot to love.
With unique details such as rider floorboards, old-school fenders or tank-mounted instrumentation the motorcycle has the potential to draw attention everywhere it goes. The 2014 model year is also fitted with a completely new seat that features improved lumbar support for the rider and a wider and longer rear section for passenger.
The motorcycle is built around a 904cc, four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valves per cylinder, V-twin engine which is fed by the largest fuel tank in the class (5.4 gallons). Fire up the engine and it will reward you with a peak torque of 58.2 Lb.-Ft. available at 3,500 rpm. All this power is kept in leash by a modern five speed transmission.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic.
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
Engine:Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valves per cylinder V-twin
Torque @ RPM:58
Energy:Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI)
Big Twin Styling in an Easygoing Midsized Package
The name may be Vulcan® 900 Classic, but you should hear “definitive.” This midsized cruiser has the timeless goods wrapped in a long, low package with a presence that’s larger than its name. From its two-tone ebony and metallic gray paint scheme to its spoked wheels, this Vulcan garners attention wherever it goes. Details, like rider floorboards and tank-mounted instrumentation that includes a handy fuel gauge and an easy-to-read analog speedometer, only strengthen the bike’s ties with tradition.
The 903cc V-twin features dual slash-cut mufflers and a heel/toe shifter stir the soul as you loaf down the boulevard—with eye-catching performance just a throttle twist away. The fuel tank, at 5.3 gallons, is the largest in its class and adds to the big bike impression from the saddle. Yet, beneath it all, the 900 Classic is a dependable, modern—yet timelessly styled—motorcycle.
The visual treats continue with curved cooling fins on the big, classic-looking V-twin, which bristles with modern touches inside including four-valve-per-cylinder performance and liquid-cooled reliability. A balancer works in counterpoint with the single-pin crankshaft to produce that distinctive guttural V-twin sound and feel, with less of the annoying vibrations that plague lesser engines.
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic Key Features:
- 903cc V-twin provides an optimal balance of performance and manageability in a stylish package
- Digital fuel injection delivers precise throttle control with improved fuel economy
- seat features improved lumbar support for the rider and a wider and longer rear section for passenger comfort
- floorboards with heel and toe shifter enhance rider comfort and deliver a stronger connection to the motorcycle
— leading 5.3-gallon fuel tank
- Classically styled tank-mounted instrumentation includes fuel gauge
- 180-series rear tire is widest in class and aids in the big bike feel
- Efficient belt drive runs cleaner and with less maintenance than a chain while adding to the timeless style of the drive train
903cc V-twin Engine
- to deliver a healthy dose of torque at low rpm
- Smooth and reliable
— driven balancer allows use of single pin crankshaft without excessive vibration
Liquid and Air Cooling
- thermal control with finned cylinders and cylinder head, combined with liquid cooling
- consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power
- Automatic fan keeps things cool even in traffic
- Includes temperature warning light
Electronic Fuel Injection
- throttle bodies with sub-throttles provide optimum performance and rideability
- sub-throttles, located behind the main throttle valve, are controlled by the ECU so that the DFI® system retains more precise throttle response, similar to a constant velocity carburetor
— atomizing injectors produce a fine fuel mist for better acceleration, combustion and fuel consumption
Double Cradle Frame
- rigid large-diameter box section backbone allows a larger fuel tank, and helps contribute to lightweight handling at low speeds
- swingarm looks like a hardtail design, but acts on a single shock hidden beneath the seat
- and low for minimal seat height and maximum visual impact
- offset and frame geometry combine for light, low-effort handling at ultra-low speeds
- wheelbase contributes to a comfortable highway ride
- NEW seat features improved lumbar support for the rider and a wider and longer rear section for passenger comfort
— low 26.8-inch seat height allows riders to easily plant both feet on the ground at stops
- Laid-back riding comfort for two
Custom Spoke Wheels
- steel rims and spokes
- “Spool-style” polished aluminum front hub
|Engine type||Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valves per cylinder V-twin|
|Displacement||903cc / 55.1 cu.in.|
|Bore x Stroke||88 x 74.2 mm|
|Maximum Torque||58.2 lb.-ft. @ 3,500 rpm|
|Fuel System||DFI® with dual 34mm Keihin throttle bodies|
|Ignition||TCBI with Electronic Advance|
|Frame||Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel|
|Front Suspension / Wheel Travel||41mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 5.9 in.|
|Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel||Uni-Trak® swingarm / 4.1 in.|
|Front Tire Size||130/90-16|
|Rear Tire Size||180/70-15|
|Front Brakes / Rear||Brakes 300mm hydraulic disc / 270mm hydraulic disc|
|Fuel Capacity||5.3 gal.|
|Seat Height||26.8 in.|
|Overall Length||97.0 in.|
|Overall Width||39.6 in.|
|Overall Height||41.9 in.|
|Curb Weight||619.6 lbs.|
|Color Choices||Ebony / Metallic Graphite Gray|
|Good Times™ Protection Plan||12, 24, 36 or 48 months|
The Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic is a great model for the novice riders that want to learn the secrets of cruisers on a relatively affordable motorcycle. It looks great, is as reliable as any other Japanese motorcycle and it also offers faultless ergonomics.
Don’t expect it to be as refined as a Harley, but for its money, the Vulcan 900 Classic has all it needs to be considered a good business.