2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Kawasaki revealed the 2014 version of its Vulcan 900 Custom. The new model year continues to impress us with its bullet proof built quality, top notch performances and faultless ergonomics.
With its custom looks, fat rear tire, and the thin 21 inch cast front wheel, the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 has the potential to break a lot of hearts. Not to mention about the stylish tank-top instrumentation, the chromed finishes and the one-piece “gunfighter” style seat that work together to enhance the custom appearance of the motorcycle.
The 2014 Vulcan 900 Custom sports a fuel-injected 903cc, V-twin Four-Stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC engine that puts out a maximum torque of 58.2 Lb.-Ft. at 3,500 Rpm. The engine is fed by a 5.3 gallons fuel tank and is linked to a 5-speed transmission.
The 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom is offered with a base price of $8,499.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom.
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Engine:Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valves per cylinder V-twin
Torque @ RPM:58
Energy:Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI)
Blacked Out Street Rod Style in an Accessible Package!
Sometimes, you can’t help but smile. Vulcan® 900 Custom is an easy motorcycle to like. First, the bike’s custom styling oozes attitude from it’s big front tire to the blacked out mufflers and other parts that typically wear a chrome coating. The drag-style handlebar and the low-slung seat put the rider in the perfect position to get the most out of this easy to ride yet powerful cruiser.
The Vulcan 900 Custom packs a fuel-injected 903cc V-twin for roll-on acceleration that will surprise folks on larger motorcycles. Carrying this easy to manage engine is a chassis that facilitates nimble handling which would put heavyweight cruisers to shame. So, while your friends admire the Custom’s looks, you can smile with the knowledge that its appearance is merely the wrapper on Kawasaki’s expert engineering, long-term dependability and satisfying performance.
Vulcan 900 Custom’s unique, edgy design shows it can stand out from the cruising crowd. Kawasaki engineers and designers concentrated on delivering a motorcycle with a customized appearance typically found only on hand-made one of a kind customs. A massive rear tire, light-looking front end accentuated by a thin 21-inch cast wheel, and sculpted bodywork top the stand-out features of the Vulcan 900 Custom.
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom Key Features:
- * 903cc V-twin provides an optimal balance of performance and manageability in a stylish package
- * Black cast wheels – solid-look rear and “twin-spoke” front
- * Forward-mounted foot controls and drag-style bar for laid-back riding position with plenty of attitude
- * 180-series rear tire is widest in class and aids in the big bike feel
- * Stylish tank-top instrumentation includes convenient fuel gauge
- * Class-leading 5.3-gallon fuel tank
- * Efficient belt drive runs cleaner and with less maintenance than a chain
- * Digital fuel injection delivers precise throttle control with improved fuel economy
903cc V-twin cyclinder head
- * Smooth and reliable engine tuned to deliver a healthy dose of torque at low rpm
- * Gear-driven balancer allows the use of a single-pin crankshaft without excessive vibration
- * Rubber mounted to reduce engine vibration at all speeds
Liquid and air cooling
- * Finned cylinders and heads combine with liquid cooling for exceptional thermal control
- * Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power
- * Automatic fan helps keep things cool
Electronic fuel injection
- * Superb performance and rideability thanks to dual throttle bodies with sub-throttles
- * ECU-controlled sub-throttles are located behind the main throttle valve, allowing the DFI® system to provide more precise throttle response, similar to a constant velocity carburetor
— atomizing fuel injectors produce a fine fuel mist for optimal acceleration, combustion and fuel consumption
- * unsprung weight than shaft drive to improve ride quality and suspension action
- * Low maintenance and low noise
Custom cast 21-inch front wheel
- * wheel’s 18 “spokes” are arranged in pairs
- * Tapered and flanged in two directions, every line and surface of each 3D spoke is exquisitely curved
- * Aggressive black finish
- * Chromed headlamp, headlamp mount, lower triple clamp and turn signals as well as footpegs, shift lever and rear brake lever
- * Clean headlight design is compact and isolated without a central fork cover or headlamp bar
- * Small, minimalist fender and lack of front fork covers also contribute to the slender appearance of the front end
- * Sporty, straight-style handlebar adds to the bike’s custom styling. Instead of handlebar clamps, twin tubes elegantly curve back from the upper triple clamp. Both the handlebar and twin tubes are completely chromed
- * Forward-mounted footpegs instead of floorboards add to the custom image and improve rider control
- * One-piece “gunfighter” style seat is designed for comfortable rider and passenger accommodation and a custom-style look
- * Standard toe-operated shift lever instead of a heel-toe shifter complements the forward footpegs for a more open rider position
|Engine type||Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valves per cylinder V-twin|
|Displacement||903cc / 55.1 cu. in.|
|Bore x Stroke||88 x 74.2 mm|
|Maximum Torque||58.2 lb.-ft. @ 3,500 rpm|
|Fuel System||DFI® with dual 34mm Keihin throttle bodies (2)|
|Ignition||TCBI with digital advance|
|Frame||Double cradle, high-tensile steel|
|Front Suspension / Wheel Travel||41mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 5.9 in.|
|Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel||Uni-Trak® swingarm, 7-way adjustable spring preload / 4.1 in.|
|Front Tire Size||80/90x21|
|Rear Tire Size||180/70x15|
|Front Brakes / Rear Brakes||300mm hydraulic disc / 270mm hydraulic disc|
|Fuel Capacity||5.3 gal.|
|Seat Height||27.0 in.|
|Overall Length||94.7 in.|
|Overall Width||35.2 in.|
|Overall Height||44.1 in.|
|Curb Weight||610.8 lbs.|
|Color Choices||Candy Lime Green, Metallic Flat Platinum Gray / Flat Ebony|
|Good Times™ Protection Plan||12, 24, 36 or 48 months|
Kawasaki’s best selling Vulcan is the Custom and there is no wonder why as in the latest years this model become better and better. It is unintimidating to ride, fun and very comfortable. Not to mention about its reasonable price.
On the bad side of things, the brakes needed more attention as they could’ve been better, especially when we think that the Vulcan 900 was designed with novice riders in mind.
Also, some of the maintenance operations are a bit complicated to do - an issue that won’t be found on a Harley Davidson Sportster. For instance, the oil change won’t be so easy to do due to the filter that is stashed away behind the oil cooler and radiator, so you’ll have to get your hands dirty before you get near it.