2015 Kawasaki KX 100
The Kawasaki KX™ 100 represents a natural step in the progression of any budding young motocross rider who is on the verge of outgrowing the KX™ 85, but maybe still needs to grow a few inches, gain a few pounds or simply get a little more seat time before jumping aboard a full-sized KX™ 250F. The new KX100 offers the perfect blend of a power and a larger chassis for an ideal learning curve en route to the big bikes.
Continue reading for more information on the 2015 Kawasaki KX 100.
2015 Kawasaki KX 100
2015 Kawasaki KX 100 Key Features:
- Liquid-cooled, two-stroke, 99cc engine produces good power and torque
- Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve increases more mid-range torque and top-end power
- Jetting for the 28mm Keihin PWK carburetor promotes ideal fuel atomization, for quicker throttle response and a smoother power delivery
- Uni-Trak® rear suspension is fully adjustable for compression and rebound damping and spring preload
- Rigid 36mm inverted cartridge forks are 20-way adjustable for compression damping, and provide better steering response and control
- Six-speed transmission has chrome-finished shift fork ends to resist wear and seizing while bushings on the second, third and fourth gears on the output shaft increase durability
- Slim and narrow frame allows the rider to move around the motorcycle, while adjustable handlebars ensure a comfortable fit for a range of riders
- Industry-leading amateur racer support through Team Green™
2015 Kawasaki KX 100 Features and Benefits:
Engine & Transmission
The KX100’s liquid-cooled two-stroke engine delivers more power by virtue of its greater displacement. Its championship-bred 99cc motor delivers hard-hitting power over a broader powerband than the KX85, thanks to the proven Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS®), which amplifies the low-end torque and creates a seamless transition to its top-end rush.
Crisp throttle response is provided by the KX100’s 28mm Keihin carburetor and carbon-fiber reed valve assembly, but that is just one of a host of features aimed at improving its performance and reliability. The engine also has a durable, Nikasil-plated cylinder with an exhaust port shaped for better flow to optimize peak power at wide-open throttle. The piston has a single piston ring, rather than two rings, which reduces cylinder wall friction for even better engine response.
To maintain the KX100’s flawless power delivery, it uses a 28mm Keihin PWK carburetor and Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS®) with independent valves for each port for improved reliability and reduced maintenance.
The 83mm crankshaft features a precisely shaped resin block to close the gap around the machined area near the crank pin. This helps boost power as well as making the crank more rigid and durable.
Because power generates heat, the KX100 radiator provides ample cooling capacity to prolong engine life and ensure consistent power delivery during grueling motos.
The smooth-shifting six-speed transmission has the perfect ratios for tackling any obstacle on the track, while durability is assured thanks to its hard chrome-finished shift fork ends, thick base on the clutch basket housing and additional bushing on the input shaft.
The potent engine requires a similarly proficient chassis, and Kawasaki engineers specified a Uni-Trak® linkage for the KYB reservoir rear shock and class-leading KYB 36mm inverted front forks, ensuring the KX100 can thrive in the roughest motocross terrain.
Just like its big brothers, the KX100 front forks features shim-type valving and firm damping for the faster riders, while also offering superior bottoming resistance and a wide range of damper adjustability to suit a variety of riding styles and track conditions. In the rear, the shock’s black-anodized aluminum body uses a clicker-type adjuster to make fine-tuning the rear damping quick and easy.
Petal-type brakes improve the stopping power, with 220mm front and 184mm rear rotors delivering efficient braking performance and the petal shape helps clean the pads in muddy conditions.
The front brake hose is routed behind the axle for better protection using hose guides that mimic the larger, championship-winning KX models. There are Dunlop® Geomax MX51 intermediate tires to provide optimal grip over varying terrain and riding conditions.
The KX100’s high-tensile steel reinforced perimeter frame is key to maintain Kawasaki’s legendary handling. Its 34.3” seat height fits a wide variety of growing inseams, and there is plenty of adjustability thanks to three-position handlebar risers and two-position clamps that provide six different handlebar positions to ensure a comfortable fit for the rider.
The KX100 looks as fast as it runs, thanks to bold factory race styling that is virtually identical to the big KX models. To allow the rider to remain comfortable and move around easily, the KX100 has a low fuel tank, slim radiator covers and side panels that blend with a flatter two-tone seat. The seat itself features a seamless cover and rippy material to ensure rider comfort.
An angular front fender, number plate and white rear fender not only match the big KXs, but the front fender also helps reduce mud accumulation, while wrap-around fork guards protect the inner fork tubes and seals. Last but not least, a brushed finish on the aluminum swingarm helps keep the KX100 looking fresher for longer.
Completing its factory race styling, the KX100 is finished in Kawasaki’s signature Lime Green with eye-catching detail appointments such as green alumite coatings on the adjusters and black alumite coating on the rims, just like Villopoto’s factory KX450F.
Those who race their KX100 at designated events are eligible to receive support from Team Green™ Kawasaki’s amateur racing support program. For more than 30 years, the Team Green support program has given riders the tools for success by providing technicians and support staff at selected events throughout the year. Team Green provides racers with unparalleled trackside support at no cost, while emergency parts are for sale for last-minute adjustments. While helping amateur athletes achieve success, Kawasaki never forgets its most important goal is to ensure a positive and enjoyable experience for every rider.
Liquid-cooled, Two-stroke, Single-cylinder 99cc Engine
- Cylinder head gasket and gasket retention dowel prevents detonation, increasing reliability
- Piston with single-ring design (was two rings) reduces friction
- Lightweight Nikasil-coated cylinder with exhaust port shaped for flow and power
- Large outer diameter crankshaft is 83mm, increasing rigidity and improving durability
- Precisely shaped resin block added to crankshaft closes the gap around the machined area near the crank pin, reducing volume of the bottom-end to increase intake transfer for more power
- Intake and exhaust port bridges are machine-finished for reduced wear and improved reliability
- Rotor comes with rare-earth magnets; the unitized piece is small, light and more efficient; low inertial moment improves low-rpm response
- Connecting rod big-end bearing has more rigid cage for improved durability
- Intake port shape and cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
- Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
- Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing
Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS®)
- KIPS system varies exhaust-port height for increased horsepower and torque at all RPM
- Independent valves for each port replace three-piece design, increasing reliability and reducing maintenance
- Produces a broad powerband with more mid-range torque and excellent top-end power
- Breather in KIPS cover improves high-rpm and overrun performance
- Large right-side cutout improves airflow for increased power
28mm Keihin PWK Carburetor
- Jetting optimizes performance with engine tuning specs
- Large crescent slide positions the needle closer to intake ports for ideal fuel atomization, providing quicker throttle response and a smoother power delivery
- Carburetor adjustable for various conditions
- Features large-diameter O-ring and groove on exhaust pipe for improved durability and easy installation
- Aluminum silencer is re-packable like larger KX models
- Thick-base clutch hub rides on needle bearings for smooth action
- Large, 91mm clutch plates add durability and control
- Clutch-release lever ratio is designed for light clutch lever action
- Clutch plate service cover simplifies maintenance and utilizes a metal-carbon composite gasket
- Positive shifting action and rugged durability
- Fifth and sixth gears ride on bushings for added reliability
- Shift forks are hard chrome-finished to resist wear and seizing
- Convenient oil-level window offers easy level checks
- Bushings on the second, third and fourth gears increase durability
High-tensile Steel Perimeter Frame
- High-tensile steel frame tubes have reinforcement in key areas to manage power output
- Perimeter design accommodates optimal intake/exhaust design
- Wide, steel footpegs offer added control and strength.
- Thick footpeg-mount brackets withstand today’s rigorous tracks
- Engine and chassis bolts feature rust-resistant coating
Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension
- KYB reservoir shock features black-anodized aluminum body
- Clicker-type compression damping adjuster allows for more precise damping adjustments
- Swingarm uses large cross-section beams for improved rigidity and control
- Cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections allow easy chain adjustments
- Shock is fully adjustable with 24-way compression and 21-way rebound damping, plus stepless spring preload
36mm Inverted Cartridge Fork
- Shim-type valving provides precise damping control
- Firm damping rates offer superior bottoming resistance
- Inverted fork is rigid, providing superior steering response and control
- Compression damping is 20-way adjustable
- Aluminum upper fork tubes measure 36mm in diameter for flex-free performance
- Revised axle clamp reduces under-hang for greater fork clearance in ruts
- Petal-type brake rotors (220mm front/184mm rear) provide powerful stopping ability
- Petal-type rotor design helps clean the brake pads for more consistent performance
- Front brake hose routing helps protect brake line; front guides are just like the big KXs
- Direct upward line simplifies brake bleeding maintenance
- Front brake lever shape offers optimum feel
- Forged-aluminum rear brake pedal is strong, lightweight and features two seals at the pivot for smooth operation and increased durability
- Provide strong braking power with minimal effort
- Black alumite-coated lightweight aluminum rims offer a factory look
- Rear hub features two bearings on the drive side for added durability
- Large rear-axle diameter for optimum rigidity
- Dunlop® Geomax MX51 tires provide optimal grip for a wide range of riding conditions
- Slim radiator shrouds and side panels allow good rider movement
- Flat seat with seamless seat cover and grippy material provide comfort and make it easier to shift weight
- 34.3” seat height is ideal for larger riders who are still growing
- Handlebars provide good leverage and comfort with a range of adjustment available
- Three-position handlebar risers offer STD, +5mm higher and +10mm higher bar positioning
- Two-position handlebar clamps offer STD, +10mm forward bar location for a total of six different handlebar positions with new handlebar risers
- Swingarm surface treatment matches big KX models and is easier to clean and refresh
- Angular front fender, angular rear fender and number plate design match big KX-styling
- Wraparound fork guards with embossed Kawasaki logo protect inner fork tubes and enhance styling
- Factory lime green “flow line” graphics
- Black alumite coatings mirror the reigning champion’s KX
- Grey clutch and ignition covers resist the signs of boot rub to help keep the KX looking fresh
|Engine||Two-stroke single with KIPS®|
|Bore x Stroke||52.5 x 45.8mm|
|Compression ratio||10.2:1 (low speed) – 8.7:1 (high speed)|
|Fuel System||Keihin PWK28|
|Front Suspension / Wheel Travel||36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 20-way compression damping / 10.8 in|
|Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel||Uni-Trak® single shock system with 24-way compression and 21-way rebound damping plus adjustable spring preload / 10.8 in|
|Frame Type||High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member|
|Rake/Trail||29 degrees / 4.3 in|
|Overall Length||75.6 in|
|Overall Width||30.1 in|
|Overall Height||43.3 in|
|Ground Clearance||13 in|
|Seat Height||34.3 in|
|Curb Weight||169.7 lb|
|Fuel Capacity||1.32 gal|
|Color Choices||Lime Green|
“The Kawasaki KX100 is for riders that are not quite ready for the KX250F but want more power than the KX85. It comes with a 99cc engine, a 28 millimeter Keihin PWK carburetor and Uni Trak rear suspension. The Kawasaki KX100 is equipped with the Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System for more torque and power.” ----- Motorcycle USA