2015 Kawasaki KX 85
Every budding motocross star reaches a crossroads in their career, when choosing the right motorcycle can mean the difference between success or failure. With more amateur national championship titles than any other brand, the pedigree of the Kawasaki KX™ 85 already outshines the competition and the 2015 KX85 continues to do so. In fact, the one thing that hasn’t changed is that the KX85 is still the ultimate training tool for the Ryan Villopotos of tomorrow. Box-stock, it’s ready to win championships!
Continue reading for more information on the 2015 Kawasaki KX 85.
2015 Kawasaki KX 85
A Fast Weapon for Future Motocross Champions
The powerful 85cc two-stroke engine boasts numerous features that create strong low-end and mid-range torque. No doubt, the KX will continue to grab more holeshots than any other machine in its class, while the torque also makes it more suitable for riders whose motocross skills are still developing.
Other race-proven features include the advanced perimeter-frame chassis, 36mm cartridge fork with 20-way adjustable compression damping and a fully adjustable Uni-Trak® rear shock provide excellent handling and superior ability to tame the nastiest, most hallenging racetracks.
2015 Kawasaki KX 85 Key Features:
- Liquid-cooled, two-stroke, 85cc engine
- Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve increases more mid-range torque and top-end power
- Jetting in the 28mm Keihin PWK carburetor helps give ideal fuel atomization, for quicker throttle response and a smoother power delivery
- Six-speed transmission has chrome-finished shift fork ends to resist wear and seizing while bushings on the second, third and fourth gears on the output shaft increase durability
- Petal-shape brake rotors clear mud and dirt quick, look like factory racers
- Uni-Trak® rear suspension is fully adjustable for compression and rebound damping and spring preload
- Rigid 36mm inverted cartridge forks are 20-way compression damping adjustable and provide better steering response and control
- Adjustable bars for greater comfort for a variety of riders
- Industry-leading amateur racer support through Team Green™
2015 Kawasaki KX 85 Features and Benefits:
The cylinder head on the 85cc two-stroke engine has many power-inducing features such as a shallow combustion chamber and Nikasil-plated cylinder with a large exhaust port optimized for gas flow. The single-ring piston design helps to reduce cylinder wall friction for superior throttle response.
The KX85’s factory race-replica character is supported by the 28mm Keihin PWK carburetor, which features a crescent-shaped slide to positions the needle closer to the intake ports for optimized fuel atomization.
The KX85 also employs the Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS®) to boost mid-range and top-end power with its independent slider valves for each port, replacing a previous three-piece design to reduce maintenance and improve reliability.
The 83mm crankshaft features a precisely shaped resin block to close the gap around the machined area near the crank pin. This helps boost power as well as making the crank more rigid and durable.
Because power generates heat, the KX85 radiator provides ample cooling capacity, prolonging engine life and providing consistent power delivery during grueling motos.
The smooth-shifting six-speed transmission has the perfect ratios for tackling any obstacle on the track, while durability is assured thanks to its hard chrome-finished shift fork ends, thick base on the clutch basket housing and additional bushing on the input shaft.
It takes a race-proven suspension package to put the KX85’s horsepower to the ground, and the Uni-Trak® linkage, KYB reservoir shock and inverted KYB 36mm forks are up to the task of tackling the roughest motocross terrain. They utilize 24-position compression and 21-position rebound damping adjustment, along with stepless spring preload to help ensure the rider can tune the handling to his or her preference.
Just like its big brothers, the KX85 front forks features shim-type valving and firmer damping for the faster riders, while also offering superior bottoming resistance as well as 20-position damper adjustment settings to suit a variety of riding styles and track conditions.
In the rear, the shock’s black-anodized aluminum body has a clicker-type adjuster to make fine-tuning the rear suspension damping quick and easy.
The petal-type brakes improve the stopping power, with 220mm front and 184mm rear rotors delivering efficient braking performance and the petal shape helps clean the pads in muddy conditions.
The front brake hose is routed behind the axle for better protection using hose guides. The KX85 runs on Dunlop® Geomax MX51 intermediate tires to provide optimal grip over varying terrain and riding conditions.
The KX85’s high-tensile steel perimeter frame has reinforcement in key areas to maintain the Kawasaki’s legendary handling. Its 32.7” seat height fits a wide variety of growing inseams, and there is plenty of adjustability thanks to a wider and taller handlebar, three-position risers and two-position clamps to provide six different handlebar positions to ensure a comfortable fit for the rider.
The KX85 looks as fast as it runs, thanks to bold factory race styling that is virtually identical to the big KX models. The low fuel tank, slim radiator covers and side panels blend with a flatter two-tone seat with seamless cover and grippy material to ensure the rider is both comfortable and able to move freely.
An angular front fender, number plate and white rear fender not only match the big KX models, but the front fender also helps reduce mud accumulation, while wrap-around fork guards protect the inner fork tubes and seals. Last but not least, a brushed finish on the aluminum swingarm helps keep the KX85 looking fresher for longer.
Completing its factory-race styling, the KX85 is finished in Kawasaki’s signature Lime Green with eye-catching detail appointments such as green alumite coatings on the adjusters and black alumite coating on the rims, just like Villopoto’s factory KX™ 450F.
Those who race their KX85 at designated events, Kawasaki will continue to offer the same support to racers of all ages and levels that it has for more than 30 years. The Team Green™ support program has given riders the tools for success by providing technicians and support staff at a number of selected events throughout the year. Team Green also provides racers with unparalleled trackside support and emergency parts for last-minute adjustments. While helping amateur athletes achieve success, Kawasaki never forgets its most important goal is to ensure a positive and enjoyable experience for every rider.
Liquid-cooled, Two-stroke, Single-cylinder 85cc Engine
- Cylinder head combustion shape increases power at all rpm
- Cylinder head gasket and gasket retention dowel prevents detonation, increasing reliability
- Piston has single-ring design (was two rings) reduces friction
- Lightweight Nikasil-coated cylinder features exhaust port shape for better flow, more power
- Large outer diameter crankshaft is 83mm, increasing rigidity and improving durability
- Precisely shaped resin block added to crankshaft closes the gap around the machined area near the crank pin, reducing volume of the bottom-end to increase intake transfer for more power
- Intake and exhaust port bridges are machine-finished for reduced wear and improved reliability
- Rotor comes with rare-earth magnets; it is small, light and more efficient; low moment of inertia improves low-RPM response
- Connecting rod big-end bearing has rigid cage for improved durability
- Intake port shape and cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
- Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
- Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS®)
- KIPS system varies exhaust-port height for increased horsepower and torque at all rpm
- Independent valves increase reliability and reducing maintenance
- Produces a broad powerband with more mid-range torque and excellent top-end power
- Breather in KIPS cover improves high-rpm and overrun performance
- Radiator cooling capacity sustains engine power during long motos
- Large right-side cutout improves airflow for increased power
- Reusable foam air filter
28mm Keihin PWK Carburetor
- Jetting optimizes performance with new engine tuning specs
- Large crescent slide positions the needle closer to intake ports for ideal fuel atomization, providing quicker throttle response and a smoother power delivery
- Carburetor adjustable for various conditions
- Features large-diameter O-ring and groove on exhaust pipe for improved durability and easy installation
- Aluminum silencer is re-packable like larger KX models
- Thick-base clutch hub rides on needle bearings for smooth action
- Large 91mm clutch plates offer excellent durability and precise engagement
- Clutch-release ratio is designed for light clutch lever action
- Clutch plate service cover simplifies maintenance and utilizes a metal-carbon composite gasket
- Positive shifting action and rugged durability
- Fifth and sixth gears ride on bushings for added reliability
- Shift forks are hard chrome-finished to resist wear and seizing
- Convenient oil-level window offers easy level checks
- Bushings on the second, third and fourth gears increase durability
High-tensile Steel Perimeter Frame
- High-tensile steel tubing has reinforcement in key areas to optimize durability and weight
- Perimeter design accommodates optimal intake/exhaust design
- Wide, steel footpegs offer added control and strength.
- Thick footpeg-mount brackets withstand today’s rigorous tracks
- Engine and chassis bolts feature rust-resistant coating
Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension
- KYB reservoir shock features black-anodized aluminum body
- Clicker-type compression damping adjuster allows for more precise damping adjustments
- Swingarm uses large cross-section beams for improved rigidity and control
- Cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections allow easy chain adjustments
- Shock is fully adjustable with 24-position compression and 21-position rebound damping, plus stepless spring preload
36mm Inverted Cartridge Fork
- Shim-type valving provides precise damping control
- Firm damping rates offer superior bottoming resistance
- Inverted fork is rigid, providing better steering response and control
- Compression damping is 20-way adjustable
- Aluminum upper fork tubes measure 36mm in diameter for flex-free performance
- Revised axle clamp reduces under-hang for greater fork clearance in ruts
- Petal-type brake rotors (220mm front/184mm rear) increase stopping power
- Petal-type rotor design helps clean the brake pads for more consistent performance
- Front brake hose routing helps protect brake line; front guides are just like the big KXs
- Direct upward line routing simplifies brake bleeding and maintenance
- Front brake lever shape offers optimum feel
- Forged-aluminum rear brake pedal is strong, lightweight and features two seals at the pivot for smooth operation and increased durability
- Provide strong braking power with minimal effort
- Black alumite-coated lightweight aluminum rims offer a factory look
- Rear hub features two bearings on the drive side for added durability
- Large rear-axle diameter for optimum rigidity
- Dunlop® Geomax MX51 tires provide optimal grip for a wide range of riding conditions
- Slim radiator shrouds and side panels improve rider ergonomics
- Flat seat with seamless seat cover and gripper material improve comfort and make weight shifts easier
- 32.7” seat height is ideal for growing riders
- Wide handlebars offer both leverage and comfort
- Three-position handlebar risers offer STD, +5mm higher and +10mm higher bar positioning
- Two-position handlebar clamps offer six different location positions to suit a range of riders
- Swingarm surface finish matches big KXs and is easier to clean
- Angular front fender, angular rear fender and number plate design match big KX-styling
- Wraparound fork guards with embossed Kawasaki logo protect inner fork tubes and enhance styling
- Grey clutch and ignition covers resist the signs of boot rub to help keep the KX looking fresh
- Factory Lime Green “flow line” graphics and green alumite coatings on the suspension adjusters to reflect the reigning champion’s motorcycle
|Engine||Two-stroke single with KIPS®|
|Bore x Stroke||48.5 x 45.8mm|
|Compression ratio||10.9:1 (low speed) – 9.0:1 (high speed)|
|Fuel System||Keihin PWK28|
|Front Suspension / Wheel Travel||36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 20-way compression damping / 10.8 in|
|Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel||UNI-TRAK® single-shock system with 24-way compression and 21-way rebound damping, plus adjustable spring preload / 10.8 in|
|Induction||Crankcase reed valve|
|Frame Type||High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member|
|Rake/Trail||29 degrees / 3.8 in|
|Overall Length||72 in|
|Overall Width||30.1 in|
|Overall Height||43.3 in|
|Ground Clearance||11.4 in|
|Seat Height||32.7 in|
|Curb Weight||165.3 lb|
|Fuel Capacity||1.32 gal|
|Color Choices||Lime Green|
“The Kawasaki KX85 is equipped with an 85cc two stroke engine, a 36 millimeter cartridge fork with 20-way adjustable compression damping and a fully adjustable Uni-Trak rear shock. It has Dunlop Geomax MX51 intermediate tires, and has been given a wider and taller handlebar with three position risers and clamps that allow six different handlebar positions on the Kawasaki KX85 for superior comfort during a motocross race.” ----- Motorcycle USA
“From their first ride to lifting the trophy, legends choose KX - Created to dominate and built for winners, the KX65 and new KX85 are competition ready machines designed to encourage the green shoots of youth talent allowing it to blossom into full-blown race wins and Championship success.” ----- Rocket Centre