Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
It’s been said that the joy of motorcycling is as much in the eye of the rider as it is in the thrill of the ride. That is especially so when appealing to the cruising rider who seeks the perfect blend of comfort, big bike feel, and customized appearance. With the debut of the new Kawasaki Vulcan® 900 Custom, those riders looking for eye candy to match a unique, go-anywhere mount are in for a real treat.
The Vulcan 900 Custom joins the mid-size cruiser family—which already includes the 900 Classic and 900 Classic LT—as the crown jewel in Kawasaki’s triumvirate of open road fun, power, and attention-getting looks.
Boasting exceptional roll-on acceleration that matches the get-up-and-go of much larger motorcycles, the Vulcan 900 Custom was designed to offer a uniqueness that separates it from the crowd. With its massive rear tire, sculpted bodywork, and light-looking front end highlighted by a thin 21-inch cast wheel, this motorcycle will make its owners proud, whether tooling down the highway or simply parked at one of the many motorcycling hangouts throughout the country.
Kawasaki’s engineers and designers concentrated on delivering a motorcycle that provides customized appearances usually reserved for more expensive two-wheel offerings. The perfect blending of the low, wide rear, featuring a 15-inch cast wheel and 180mm tire, with the less weighty trimmed-down look of the front, will give the rider the feeling of sitting on a motorcycle made for him (or her) alone. Crafted to highlight its elegance as much as its gutsy, fuel-injected V-Twin power, the Vulcan 900 Custom is sure to broaden the appeal of this family of Kawasaki cruisers.
Employing its own version of design minimalism, Kawasaki has produced a cruiser that is just enough of everything that is right. Even the visual contrast of the front and rear wheels is heightened by the simplicity and subtlety of the fuel tank. Its carefully molded and delicately curved shape brings a visual connection that literally ties together the highly customized approach of the Vulcan 900 Custom.
Perhaps one of the most striking examples of Kawasaki’s determination to provide the cruising rider with a distinctive look matching this motorcycle’s “custom” designation are the “spokes” of its large diameter front wheel. Arranged in pairs, they were hand-designed for a special visual appeal. And, while 21-inch cast wheels are somewhat rare in the custom-building world, they will be found on every Vulcan 900 Custom cruiser delivered from Kawasaki showrooms.
This chrome-laden cruiser is more than just good looking. Like its other 903cc family members, the 900 Custom’s big-bike feel is generated by a powerplant that pulls cleanly around town and out-accelerates anything else in its class out on the highways, where torque rules the road.
Whether moving at highway speeds towards a weekend getaway, or tooling through local streets on the way to work, the Vulcan 900 Custom’s light, sporty handling will keep it at the front of the pack in the eyes of knowledgeable motorcyclists. Excellent stability, good power, easy maneuverability, and startling attractiveness make this new Kawasaki one to own.
Available in three color selections—Candy Plasma Blue, Candy Fire Red, and Ebony—the 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom offers stylish aesthetics in a platform that’s perfect for customization with Kawasaki accessories.
- 903cc V-twin SOHC engine tuned to deliver lots of torque from low rpm
- Smooth and reliable
- Gear-driven balancer allows use of single pin crankshaft without heavy vibration
Four-valve Cylinder Head
- Better breathing for more power and low-end torque
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
- Single overhead cam design is simple, lightweight and practical
- Extremely efficient intake tracts feature ports that narrow near the combustion chamber to increase intake flow speed for more efficient filling and increased torque
- Long intake tracts for great low-end response
Electronic Fuel Injection
- Dual throttle bodies with sub throttles provide optimum performance and rideability
- The sub throttles, located behind the main throttle valve, are controlled by the ECU so that the DFI system retains more precise throttle response, similar to a constant velocity carburetor
- Fine-atomizing fuel injectors produce a fine fuel mist for better acceleration, combustion and fuel consumption
Liquid and Air Cooling
- Finned cylinders and head combine with liquid cooling to provide exception thermal control
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power
- Automatic fan keeps things cool even in traffic
- Includes temperature warning light
Concealed Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner
- Maintains precise valve timing with no maintenance
- Assures greater reliability
- Hidden from view to preserve the engine’s clean, basic look
Dual Slash-Cut Mufflers
- Dual slash-cut mufflers give the Custom a wild air
- The mufflers are angled so that they look good when the bike is on its side stand
- Include honeycomb catalyzers to help reduce emissions
- Lower unsprung weight than shaft drive to improve ride quality and suspension action
- More efficient so more power reaches the rear wheel
- Low maintenance and low noise
Double Cradle Frame
- Large-diameter box section backbone is very rigid, allows use of a larger fuel tank, and helps contribute to high stability and lightweight handling at low speeds
- Triangular swingarm appears to be a hardtail design, but acts on a single shock hidden beneath the seat
- Long and low for minimal seat height, maximum visual impact
- Fork offset and frame geometry combine for light, low-effort handling at ultra-low speeds
- Long wheelbase adds to highway stability
Low Stepped Seat
- Ultra-low 27 in. seat height allows riders to easily plant both feet on the ground at stops
- Laid-back riding comfort for two
Tank-Mounted Speedometer with Turn Signal Indicators and Caution Lamps
- Chrome instrument console is slim and lightweight, contributing to the motorcycle’s elegant lines
- Gives you the information you need at-a-glance
- Compact design complements the bike’s clean look
Wide Rear Tire
- 180mm rear tire provides added stability while projecting a powerful image
- Wider tire than that found on most large-displacement cruisers
- New custom cast 15” rear wheel contrasts the “light,” tall front wheel.
Custom Cast 21 in. Front Wheel
- Arranged in pairs, the wheel’s 18 “spokes” were designed by hand
- Tapered and flanged in two directions, every line and surface of each 3-D spoke is exquisitely curved
41mm Front Fork
- Excellent rigidity and 5.9 inches of travel
- 33 degrees rake and 7.2 in. of trail for excellent straight line stability
- Wide fork pitch for classic look
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
- A 300mm front and 270mm rear disc have twin-piston calipers for some of the best stopping power in the class
- New fuel tank features a twin valley design, with a dynamic tension and presence all its own
- The twin-valley design theme is continued in the rear fender. Like the tank, it is composed exclusively of curves with constantly varying radii, its hand-sculpted contours designed to be pleasing to both the eye and to the touch
- The bottom of the rear fender features a relatively straight cut, to complement the lines of the motorcycle
Additional Custom Features
- Clean headlight design is small and isolated, there is no central fork cover or headlamp bar.
- The headlamp, headlamp mount, lower triple clamp and turn signals are all chromed
- The small, minimalist fender and lack of front fork covers also contribute to the slender appearance of the front end
- The sporty, straight-style handlebar adds to the bike’s custom styling. Instead of handlebar clamps, twin tubes elegantly curve back from the upper triple clamp. Both the handlebar and twin tubes are completely chromed
- One-piece “gunfighter” style seat is designed for comfortable rider and passenger accommodation and features a custom-style look
- Chromed forward-mount footpegs are fitted (instead of floorboards) contributing to the custom image and improving rider control.
- Chromed footpegs, shift lever and rear brake lever contribute to the Custom’s elegant appearance
- Standard toe-operated shift lever (instead of a heel-toe shifter)