2012 KTM 500 EXC Six Days
Built to race and compete in what is arguably the world’s largest enduro competition, the International Six Days Enduro offers a competitive proving ground of some of the best riders in the world. And if you want to be competitive, the 500 EXC Six Days has the tool to make competition so much more fun.
The bike’s 510cc four-cylinder, single engine is equipped with plenty of race-spec features, including a common oil circuit for engine and transmission and two oil pumps, a pressure pump that lubricates the engine, and a suction pump that draws oil from the crankcase, using it to lubricate the transmission. The 500 EXC’s new, improved silencer features a special Six Days coating that not only offers greater volume and a new design, it also reduces noise levels to the stricter standards of the future.
In terms of design, the 500 EXC Six Days was built with new bodywork consisting of a very slim seat and spoiler lines to go with excellent contact points, making handling even simpler and more precise. It also has a longer rear fender that protects the rider even more effectively from swirled up stones while a Camel SXS seat offers improved long-distance comfort. The bike also has an engine guard made of high-strength plastic for protecting engine case and frame down tubes, a radiator fan for optimizing temperature control under extreme loads, and CNC-machined, orange-anodized triple clamps for high-precision clamping of the fork tubes in favor of optimum sliding of the telescopic fork.
Find out more about the KTM 500 EXC Six Days after the jump.
2012 KTM 500 EXC Six Days
Engine:Single cylinder, four-stroke
Energy:Injection. Keihin EFI, flow restrictor 42 mm
- With the 500 EXC’s newly developed engine, KTM engineers have created a new dimension: The power unit has been redesigned from scratch and is now more compact, lighter and more powerful than before. Reduced reciprocating weight and a balancer shaft minimise vibration.
- All ports and the combustion chamber have been redesigned in the OHC cylinder head of the 500 EXC’s new engine. The new camshaft actuates four valves via lightweight rocker arms. High-quality titanium valves are used on the intake side. As before, the cylinder head cover mounted at an angle simplifies service work.
- The 500 EXC’s cylinder has been further developed especially for the new engine configuration. The new, 15 % lighter forged piston minimises reciprocating weight and optimises durability at high engine speeds. New, nitrided piston rings ensure highest levels of resistance to wear.
- The 500 EXC’s new engine case weighs almost 2 kg less than its predecessor, although it offers better resistance to damage due to stone impact or falls. This has been achieved by using a high-strength, elastic aluminium alloy and changing from sand-casting to die-casting.
- The 500 EXC’s new, laterally located balancer shaft not only eliminates vibration, but also serves as the drive for the water pump. This intelligent multi-functionality contributes to the compactness and low weight of the 450 EXC’s new engine.
Chassis and Suspension
- The completely revamped frame made from high-quality chrome-molybdenum steel is characterised by even greater lateral stiffness. Furthermore, it is even better at absorbing jolts introduced by the suspension system, whereby the simple handling and comfort of the 500 EXC have been further optimised.
- The 500 EXC’s new, lighter, cast aluminium swingarm accommodates the shock absorber more centrally, in order to load the swing arms more evenly. The new, 7 mm longer PDS shock absorber with adjustable rebound and high/low-speed compression damping, and a new setting is installed more flatly, so providing even more progression.
- The 500 EXC is equipped with the latest WP upside-down fork with wider adjustment ranges and a new setting. The sensitive responsiveness and outstanding damping of the open-cartridge fork with 48 mm outer tubes are a perfect complement for the 500 EXC’s simple handling and precision.
- Practically unbeatable in terms of weight and stability, the new wheels have CNC-machined hubs, new black-anodised rims from Giant, black zinc/nickel-coated spokes and ultra-light aluminium nipples. They reduce the unsprung and gyroscopic masses, hence bolstering the simple handling of the 500 EXC.
- Map select switch on the handlebars for selecting different engine management mappings
- Camel SXS seat for improved long-distance comfort
- Engine guard made of high-strength plastic for protecting engine case and frame down tubes
- Radiator fan for optimising temperature control under extreme loads
- CNC-machined, orange-anodised triple clamps for high-precision clamping of the fork tubes in favour of optimum sliding of the telescopic fork
- Knock-out wheel spindle for easier removal of the front wheel
- Full brake disc at the rear for improved heat resistance and therefore reduced pad wear
- Rear brake disc protector for protecting the brake disc from mechanical damage
- Quick-change brake pad securing bolts at the rear for quicker changing of brake pads without tools
- Aluminium rear sprocket with riveted-on steel ring gear for a combination of reduced weight and increased durability
- Wheels with black-anodised, extremely robust Giant rims and spokes with a high-quality, black tin-nickel coating.
- The same design as the KTM factory bikes thanks to Six Days graphics, orange powder-coated frame, orange anodised triple clamps, orange anodised handlebars and anthracite anodised silencer
|Engine type||Single cylinder, 4-stroke|
|Starter/battery||Kick- and electric starter / 12V 4Ah|
|Carburetor||Keihin EFI, flow restrictor 42 mm|
|Control||4 V / OHC with rocker levers|
|Lubrication||Pressure lubrication with 2 oil pumps|
|Gear ratios||14:36 17:32 19:28 22:26 24:23 26:21|
|Final drive||14:50 (13:50)|
|Clutch||Wet multi-disc clutch, Brembo hydraulics|
|Frame||Central double-cradle-type 25CrMo4|
|Handlebar||Neken, Aluminium Ø 28/22 mm|
|Front suspension||WP-USD Ø 48 mm|
|Rear suspension||WP-PDS shock absorber|
|Suspension travel front/rear||300/335 mm|
|Front/rear brakes||Disc brake Ø 260/220 mm|
|Front/rear rims||1.60 x 21’’; 2.15 x 18’’ Excel|
|Front/rear tires||90/90-21’’; 140/80-18’’|
|Chain||X-Ring 5/8 x 1/4"|
|Steering head angle||63.5°|
|Wheel base||1,482±10 mm|
|Ground clearance||345 mm|
|Seat height||970 mm|
|Tank capacity, approx.||9.5 l|
|Weight, without fuel, approx.||111.5 kg|
Bikez----"The 500 EXC´s new, lighter, cast aluminium swingarm accommodates the shock absorber more centrally, in order to load the swing arms more evenly. The new, 7 mm longer PDS shock absorber with adjustable rebound and high/low-speed compression damping, and a new setting is installed more flatly, so providing even more progression."