2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 ABS
We find it extremely difficult to pick a scooter without taking second or third glaces at the Suzuki Burgman 400 because there’s something about this scooter that just draws us in.
Maybe it’s the aesthetic design, which we’re really high on because it looks smooth and futuristic. And that’s not even taking into account all the notable design qualities it has, including the new pinstripe decals on the front and rear wheels; the front bodywork that contains three covered storage compartments, including a large 10-liter compartment and two smaller compartments above it; a convenient DC power outlet that allows you to charge electric devices while on the move; abundant luggage space that features a huge storage bay large enough for two full-face helmets and a smaller compartment for personal items; a comfortable well-padded seat with a backrest that’s adjustable in five 10mm increments at the press of a lever; and finally an easy-to-read instrumentation includes a speedometer, tachometer, odometer, twin trip-meters, clock, indicators for the ambient temperature, average fuel consumption, fuel level and coolant temperature.
Then there’s the matter of the powertrain. The Burgman 400 carries a 400cc, 4-stroke, single-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC, fuel-injected engine that was designed to produce broad, useable power with quiet operation and low maintenance. It is matched up to a CVT transmission that helps in carrying instantaneous punch while going off the block. Suzuki also added an electronic Idle Speed Control (ISC) that helps improve cold starting, reduces cold-start emissions, and stabilizes engine idle under varying conditions.
All told, the Suzuki Burgman 400 ABS provides an ample amount of power, handling, mileage, and, strangely enough, storage space that makes it increasingly difficult to pick another scooter over this one.
Find out more about the Suzuki Burgman 400 ABS after the jump.
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 ABS
Engine:4-stroke, single-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC, fuel-injected engine
- The Burgman comes with a 400cc, 4-stroke, single-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC, fuel-injected engine that was designed to produce broad, useable power with quiet operation and low maintenance.
- Suzuki electronic Idle Speed Control (ISC) helps improve cold starting and reduce cold-start emissions and stabilize engine idle under varying conditions.
- A 3.6 gallon fuel tank allows long distances between fuel stops.
- A high-tensile steel-tube frame combines strength and rigidity for precise handling.
- Telescopic front forks with 41mm inner tubes have a generous 4.3 in of wheel travel, while a motorcycle-style link-type monoshock rear suspension offers adjustable preload, providing 3.9 in of wheel travel with responsive handling and exceptional maneuverability.
- Available in Pearl Mirage White and Metallic Thunder Gray/Glass Sparkle Black
- The easy-to-read instrumentation includes a speedometer, tachometer, odometer, twin tripmeters, clock, indicators for the ambient temperature, average fuel consumption, fuel level and coolant temperature.
- Convenient electric start with a maintenance-free battery helps provide quick and easy starts.
- A convenient parking brake has easy-to-use, single-layer operation conveniently located in the front bodywork that will apply a lock system that acts on the rear brake when parked.
- Abundant luggage space includes a huge storage bay large enough for two full-face helmets, and a smaller compartment for personal items.
- Front bodywork contains three covered storage compartments, including a large 10-liter compartment and two smaller compartments above it. A convenient DC power outlet allows you to charge electric devices while on the move.
- The comfortable well-padded seat is dual-stepped, while the rider’s backrest is adjustable in five 10mm increments at the press of a lever.
- A security gate allows a chain lock to be passed through the bodywork around the frame.
- Ignition switch fitted with a magnetic cover that opens only with correctly coded key for security.
- Abundant luggage space includes a huge storage bay large enough for two full-face helmets, and a smaller compartment for personal items. A convenient switchable light is also included to illuminate the underseat area.
- Antilock Brake System (ABS) monitors wheel speed, and matches stopping power to available traction.
- ABS is a supplemental device for brake operation, not a device for shortening stopping distance. Always remember to reduce speed sufficiently before approaching curves and corners.
- A belt-drive, CVT transmission is fully automatic and very rider friendly.
|Bore Stroke||81.0 mm (3.189 in) x 77.6 mm (3.055 in)|
|Compression Ratio||12.5 : 1|
|Engine||400cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, single-cylinder, DOHC|
|Fuel System||Suzuki fuel injection|
|Ignition||Electronic ignition (Transistorized)|
|Brakes Front||Disc brake, twin|
|Brakes Rear||Disc brake|
|Color||Pearl Mirage White and Metallic Thunder Gray/Glass Sparkle Black|
|Curb Weight||222 kg (489 lbs.)|
|Final Drive||V-belt drive|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||13.5 L (3.6 US gal.)|
|Ground Clearance||125 mm (4.9 in)|
|Overall Length||2270 mm (89.4 in)|
|Overall Width||825 mm (32.5 in)|
|Seat Height||710 mm (28.0 in)|
|Suspension Front||Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped|
|Suspension Rear||Link type, coil spring, oil damped|
|Tires Front||120/80-14 M/C 58S, tubeless|
|Tires Rear||150/70-13 M/C, 64S tubeless|
|Wheelbase||1585 mm (62.4 in)|
Bikez----"Visually, the clean, aerodynamic lines of its bodywork are stunning, and for 2012 it features new pinstripe decals on the front and rear wheels. For your comfort around town or on the highway, it has plush suspension and a sleek fairing that provides excellent protection from the wind."