2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
The high and mighty always seem to have a way of reinventing themselves in a way that takes their name to a new level. If there was ever a bike that could lay claim to that, it’s the 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. It’s got one of the most powerful engines on the market and, with that, has made a name for itself for itself as one of the most popular Suzuki bikes on the market today.
A lot of the cruiser’s popularity can be attributed to its 996cc liquid-cooled, Suzuki fuel-injected, 90-degree V-twin engine with four valves per cylinder, dual-overhead cams, and oil. This set-up not only provides exceptional low-end and mid-range torque for exhilarating performance, but also does it in a manner that makes every one of its competitors wince in terror. The V-Strom 1000’s impressive credentials allow riders to tap into an unspeakable power in every gear.
Joining the V-Strom 1000’s mighty powertrain is its impeccable handling capabilities, thanks in large part to a lightweight, compact, and rigid aluminum twin-spar frame and swingarm. Cartridge-style 43mm front forks with adjustable preload provides 6.3" of wheel travel allow for a comfortable ride while a link-type rear suspension featuring 6.3" of wheel travel and a piggyback-style shock absorber with adjustable rebound damping and a knob-operated hydraulic preload adjuster add to its handling capabilities.
As far as accessories are concerned, the V-Strom 1000 gets its fair share, including nylon Givi-style panniers, a top box, aluminum side cases large enough to fit a full-coverage helmet, a rugged accessory engine bar, and an adjustable windscreen.
Find out more about the Suzuki V-Strom 1000 after the jump.
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
Engine:liquid-cooled, Suzuki fuel-injected, 90-degree V-twin engine
- 996cc Liquid-cooled, Suzuki fuel-injected, 90-degree V-twin engine with four valves per cylinder, dual-overhead cams and oil provides exceptional low-end and mid-range torque for exhilarating performance.
- Advanced digital engine management system featuring Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV), delivers optimum combustion efficiency for linear response, fuel economy and superior low-end torque along with low emissions.
- Auto Fast Idling System (AFIS) automatically sets throttle valve opening during cold engine starts by monitoring coolant temperature.
- Digital ignition system provides optimum ignition timing with seperate maps for each cylinder to provide outstanding performance and smooth throttle response.
- Semi-gear driven valve system simplifies maintenance and minimizes cam sprocket size and engine height for optimum engine placement. A short crankshaft and staggered transmission shafts further contribute to the light and compact design.
- Lightweight shim-under-bucket valve system operates 36mm intake and 33mm exhaust valves, with valve timing designed to enhance low-RPM power.
- SCEM (Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material) plated cylinders for durability, weight reduction and superior heat transfer, working together with a high-efficiency liquid cooling system includes a compact oil cooler for optimum engine operating temperature.
- High-mounted stainless steel exhaust system with aluminum mufflers are tuned to enhance engine torque.
- PAIR (Pulsed-AIR) system injects fresh air into the exhaust port after the exhaust valves open to ignite unbunred hydrocarbons, further reducing emissions.
- Smooth-shifting six-speed transmission with sixth gear overdrive features a hydraulic clutch for light pull at the lever improving rider comfort.
- Lightweight magnesium valve and ignition covers are complemented by a sound deadening plastic outer clutch cover.
- Lightweight, compact and rigid aluminum twin-spar frame and swingarm provide agile handling. A bolt-on sub-frame simplifies maintenance.
- Cartridge-style 43mm front forks with adjustable preload provides 6.3 inches of wheel travel for a comfortable ride.
- Link-type rear suspension features 6.3 inches of wheel travel and a piggyback-style shock absorber with adjustable rebound damping and a knob-operated hydraulic preload adjuster.
- Multi-reflector 60W/55W headlights.
- Easy-to-read instruments include a large speedometer and tach dials, plus LCD display for fuel level, engine temperature, odometer, tripmeters and clock.
- Engine undercover panel is designed for ample ground clearance and sleek appearance.
- Large rear luggage rack features a rubber-padded platform to help keep bags and luggage in place.
- Rugged seat cover material enhances comfort and durability.
- Dual front dist brakes with large 310mm rotors and twin-piston calipers, plus a single-disc rear brake with 260mm rotor and single-piston caliper provide strong stopping power.
- Lightweight cast aluminum wheels with DualSport-style tires for optimum traction.
- Large 5.8 gallon fuel tank for long-range operation.
- Pearl Mira Red/Black
- Upright, relaxed riding position, well-padded seat and aerodynamic fairing provide all-day-long comfort
- Height-adjustable windshield for increased wind protection and comfort can be adjusted to three positions in a 50mm vertical range, work together with hand guards designed for maximum wind protection.
|Bore Stroke||98.0 mm (3.858 in) x 66.0 mm (2.598 in)|
|Compression Ratio||11.3 : 1|
|Engine||996 cc (60.8 cu. In), 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 90-degree V-twin|
|Fuel System||Fuel injection|
|Ignition||Electronic ignition (Transistorized)|
|Brakes Front||Disc brake, twin|
|Brakes Rear||Disc brake|
|Color||Pearl Mira Red/Black|
|Curb Weight||238 kg (525 lbs)|
|Final Drive||RK525 SMOZ7, 112 links|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||22 L (5.8/4.8 US/Imp gal)|
|Ground Clearance||165 mm (6.5 in)|
|Overall Length||2295 mm (90.4 in)|
|Overall Width||910 mm (35.8 in)|
|Seat Height||840 mm (33.1 in)|
|Suspension Front||Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped|
|Suspension Rear||Link type, coil spring, oil damped|
|Tires Front||110/80 R19 M/C 59H, tubeless|
|Tires Rear||150/70 R17 M/C 69H, tubeless|
|Transmission||6-speed constant mesh|
|Wheelbase||1535 mm (60.4 in)|
Total Motorcycle----"If you’re looking for an unforgettable sport-adventure, there’s no better machine than the new V-Strom 1000 Adventure. With sleek aluminum side cases that are large enough to hold a full coverage helmet, it takes versatility to a new level. It boasts the same exceptional performance as the original V-Strom 1000, with a Suzuki fuel-injected, 90-degree V-twin engine tuned for incredible low-end and mid-range torque. It also has a lightweight chassis and advanced suspension to provide crisp handling even on tight back roads. When you reach the open highway, the V-Strom 1000 Adventure excels. Its smooth engine performance, aerodynamic windshield and ergonomic riding position make it one of the finest sport-touring machines available. With the Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Adventure, Sport-adventure is yours for the taking."