2006 Triumph Rocket III
The Rocket III is a whirling, mechanised cyclone of power. Its three fuel-injected cylinders displace a monstrous 2,294cc and pump out 147lb-ft of torque. That amazing output is fed to the giant 240-section rear tyre via a five-speed gearbox and shaft drive, while the massively strong steel frame, upside-down forks and Daytona 955i spec four-piston brake calipers elementally contain the Rocket III’s potential.
2006 Triumph Rocket III
Horsepower @ RPM:140@6000
Torque @ RPM:147@2500
But the Rocket III is in possession of fine balance. Of course it demands respect on all levels but it remains a truly useable machine, and will tour highways, cruise streets and hustle turns with effortless ability. The Rocket III may be the largest capacity production motorcycle in the world but it’s designed to be ridden.
True individuality is rare and the Rocket III has forever defined a complete generation of motorcycles. Everything about it is special. Its muscular performance, stunning looks, attention to detail and monumental presence are simply unique.
The Rocket III is not only the world’s largest capacity production motorcycle, it’s also a bike without equal. Its unique, fuel-injected, triple cylinder engine has a cubic capacity of 2,294cc - that’s 140 cubic inches - and uses massive, 101.6mm diameter pistons. It makes 147ft-lbs of torque at 2,750rpm. This incredible output means even two-up the Rocket III accelerates incredibly hard without obvious effort, and relentless forward motion is just a slight twist of throttle away.
Twin butterfly valves for each throttle body are used to give precise control over the engine and this set-up allows the ECU (Electronic Control Unit) to vary the mixture flow and ignition map dependent on gear selected and road speed. The torque curve is thus tailored specifically for each gear ratio. And the result is impressive - over 90% of the engine’s prodigious torque output is available at just 2000rpm, giving incredible levels of flexibility and making the five-speed gearbox (nearly) redundant. New for 2006 is the black finished engine.
The Rocket III’s chassis, as you’d expect is something quite special. It centres on a large tubular steel twin-spine frame, which houses the motor while maintenance-free shaft drive lays power to the massive 240/50-section rear tyre. The front brakes are sports bike specification - twin four-piston calipers mated with 320mm floating discs - and provide awesome stopping power. The rear brake, developed by Brembo especially, is a twin piston caliper and 316mm disc.
The 43mm upside down forks and twin rear shocks, built specifically for the Rocket III, add composure and supple compliance. This and the relaxed, comfortable ergonomics allow the rider to take full advantage of the extended range provided by the fuel-efficient engine and huge, 24 litres fuel tank (6.3 gal US) making the Rocket III a perfect tool for those long, high-mileage days in the saddle.
2006 Triumph Rocket III Specifications
- Type - Liquid-cooled, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder
- Capacity - 2294cc
- Bore/Stroke - 101.6 x 94.3mm
- Compression Ratio - 8.7:1
- Fuel System - Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection
- Ignition - Digital - inductive type - via electronic engine management system
- Primary Drive - Gear
- Final Drive - Shaft
- Clutch Wet, multi-plate
- Gearbox - 5-speed
- Frame - Tubular steel, twin spine
- Swingarm - Twin-sided, steel
- Front Wheel - Alloy 5-spoke, 17 x 3.5in
- Rear Wheel - Alloy 5-spoke, 16 x 7.5in
- Front Tyre - 150/80 R 17
- Rear Tyre - 240/50 R 16
- Front Suspension - 43mm upside down forks
- Rear Suspension - Chromed spring twin shocks with adjustable preload
- Front Brakes - Twin 320mm floating discs, 4 piston calipers
- Rear Brakes - Single 316mm disc, 2 piston caliper
- Length - 2500mm (98.4in)
- Width (Handlebars) - 970mm (38.2in)
- Height - 1165mm (45.9in)
- Seat Height - 740mm (29.1in)
- Wheelbase - 1695mm (66.7in)
- Rake/Trail - 32 degree/152mm
- Weight (Dry) - 320kg (704lbs)
- Fuel Tank Capacity - 24 liters (6.3gal)
Performance (Measured at crankshaft to DIN 70020)
- Maximum Power - 142PS (140bhp) at 6,000 rpm
- Maximum Torque - 200Nm (147ft.lbf) at 2,500 rpm
- Scorched Yellow, Jet Black, Cardinal Red, Graphite, Monochromatic Caeruleus Blue, Monochromatic Mulberry Red
- $15,990 MSRP / Special Edition $15,990 MSRP