2012 Yamaha FZ1
The 2012 Yamaha FZ1 is coming back with nothing more than a face-lift, but that doesn’t appear to be a problem for fans of the bike, especially considering that it already has impressive performance numbers.
As the largest naked sportbike in Yamaha’s current lineup, the FZ1 has a lot of expectations to meet up to. Fortunately, it’s got a lot going for it that shouldn’t be a problem as far as meeting and exceeding these expectations.
For starters, the FZ1 retains its sculpted bodywork which is indicative of the half-cowl fairing design featuring an aggressive eye-catching naked
bike profile. The FZ1 also offers a two-piece seat that serves up great comfort while passenger grab-rails provide passenger comfort and maintain an aggressive appearance. A dual 12V 60/55-watt multireflector headlight features a sleek, profile for superb aerodynamics and great visibility. Lastly, the bike also has a high-tech instrument display that features an analog tachometer, digital speedometer, a dual trip meter, and an odometer, among other things.
Inside the FZ1’s chassis lies a powerful 998cc DOHC 20-valve engine - it’s an earlier version of the R1’s 998cc motor - that’s been tuned for tremendous mid-range bite and massive top-end power. The bike comes with a fuel injection system that has computer-controlled sub-throttle valves, providing precise fuel and air mixture for superb power delivery across the entire rev range. Handling is also a breeze for the FZ1, thanks in large part to its fully-adjustable suspension, allowing the rider to tune the test the limits of the FZ1’s versatility without having to worry about compromising its performance capabilities.
Find out more about the Yamaha FZ1 after the jump.
- Half-cowl fairing design features aggressive eye-catching naked
- High-tech instrument display features analog tachometer,
digital speedometer, dual trip meter with miles on reserve
function, odometer, water temperature and lights for neutral,
high beam, low fuel and turn signals—also a fade-in lighting
feature with adjustable brightness.
- Two-piece seat serves up great comfort.
- Passenger grabrails provide passenger comfort while maintaining
an aggressive appearance.
- Durable O-ring-sealed drive chain provides longer chain life.
- Dual 12V 60/55-watt multireflector headlight features a sleek,
profile for superb aerodynamics and visibility.
- Standard toolkit located in convenient storage compartment
under passenger seat.
- Compact design, 998cc DOHC 20-valve engine is tuned for
tremendous mid-range punch and massive top-end power.
- Fuel injection with computer-controlled sub-throttle valves
provides precise fuel/air mixture for superb power delivery
across the entire rev range.
- Closed-deck cylinder block provides great strength while
allowing a narrow engine in spite of big, 77mm bores.
- Narrow-angle five-valve combustion chambers produce a highly
efficient 11.5:1 compression ratio.
- Carburized connecting rods with fracture split big ends produce
a quick-revving engine with excellent high-rpm durability.
- High silicon-content ceramic-composite cylinder lining
reduces friction and maximizes heat dissipation for consistent
- Four-into two-into one short-style exhaust system with Exhaust
Ultimate Power valve (EXUP®), a stainless catalizer and 02
sensor. Delivers outstanding power throughout the FZ1’s broad
rpm range while meeting all emissions regulations.
- Race-inspired curved radiator with twin ring-style fans keeps
everything cool under all conditions.
- Aggressive chassis geometry with Supersport inspired 51 percent
front wheel weight bias. Provides quick and nimble handling.
- Short 4.8-gallon fuel tanks allows the rider to move into a
forward position. Rider forward ergonomics move the rider into a
position of great control.
- Cast aluminum frame uses the engine as a stressed member.
Allows for optimal rigidity, light weight, and superb handling.
- Stressed-engine design holds the engine in place with six
mounts, for excellent vertical stiffness and handling.
- Controlled-Fill (CF) aluminum swingarm. Lightweight and tuned
for excellent handling and tire grip; looks great, too.
- Fully adjustable 43mm inverted fork and a single shock with
adjustable preload and rebound damping. Tunable for sport
touring or track days.
- 320mm front discs squeezed by monoblock four-piston
calipers up front and a single 245mm rear disc serve up strong
and consistent stopping power.
- Removable subframe for easy maintenance and detachable
passenger foot pegs for even more stripped-down style.
- Light, five-spoke wheels and fat radial tires, including a
190/50-ZR17 rear, complete the look and serve up the traction.
The 2012 Yamaha FZ1 is priced at $10,590 (Pearl White/Matte Black) and will be available from February 2012.
|Engine Type||998cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder;|
DOHC, 20 valves
|Bore x Stroke||77.0 x 53.6mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Fuel Injection|
|Ignition||Digital TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition|
with 32-bit ECU
|Transmission||6-speed; multiplate wet clutch|
|Final Drive||O-ring chain|
|Suspension/Front||43mm fork; fully adjustable,|
|Suspension/Rear||Single shock; adjustable preload and|
rebound damping, 5.1-in travel
|Brakes/Front||Dual 320mm floating disc,|
|Brake/Rear||245mm disc; single-piston caliper|
|L x W x H||84.3 x 30.3 x 47.4 in|
|Seat Height||32.1 in|
|Ground Clearance||5.3 in|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||25.0°|
|Fuel Capacity||4.8 gal|
|Est. Fuel Economy||35 mpg|
|Wet Weight||487 lb|
|Color||Pearl White/Matte Black|
Totalmotorcycle ---- "Think of the 2012 Yamaha FZ1 as an upright R1 ready to take on the world. There’s more fuel-injected power in that smooth 20-vavle four-cylinder engine than most riders will ever use, in a sure-footed chassis. It’s a rider’s best ally, from track days to commuting to touring"
Motoscoop ---- "Yamaha FZ1 is ultimate sport-street in 2012, brings 998cc of fuel-injected power and a light-and-strong aluminum frame."