2014 Yamaha Raider
The custom styled Yamaha Raider is a pretty new motorcycle, as it made its big debut in 2008. Since then, the bike has been constantly upgraded and the 2014 version also get its share of small modifications, most of them in terms of style.
The bike didn’t received any major technological upgrade for 2014 and is powered by the same 113-cubic-inch (1854cc), air-cooled V-twin OHV, 4 valves/cylinder engine which is mated on a five speed transmission with wet, multiplate clutch.
In terms of style the bike comes with a chopped-out rake, raised handlebars, and a big 21-inch wheel out front.
It is also worthy of being mentioned that the bike weighs 730 lb and scores a fuel efficiency of 42 mpg.
As far as prices are concerned, the 2014 Yamaha Raider can be yours for no less than $14,990 and should be available at your local dealer since July 2013.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2014 Yamaha Raider.
2014 Yamaha Raider
Instant Attitude Adjustment
If you want totally custom but would rather ride than wrench, have a loot at the 2014 Yamaha Raider by Star Motorcycles. It truly is the ultimate marriage of cruiser styling and total performance. It’s 113-cubic-inch fuel-injected V-Twin engine takes a back seat to no V-twin when it comes to power and reliability. And the rest of the chopper inspired Raider is pure Star quality, designed and engineered by the world’s best bike builders.
You are looking at a special generation of custom cruisers. A breed that stands apart. Check out the incredible attention to detail. From front to back, the Raider is loaded with "custom" inspired parts. Stretched out fork, fat rear tire, low seat and an aggressive, slammed riding position. The Raider features more black parts than the S version. The Raider not only looks good… it offers an incredible riding experience too.
High-performance, 1854cc (113 cubic inch) air-cooled, long-stroke, OHV, 4 valves per cylinder, 48°, V-twin powerplant produces massive torque and class leading acceleration from very low rpms.
Maximum torque occurs at 2,500 rpm while maximum power occurs at 4,500 rpm, providing exciting acceleration with great pulse and torque feel.
- High-performance, 1854cc (113 cubic inch) air-cooled, long-stroke, OHV, 4 valves per cylinder, 48°, V-twin powerplant produces massive torque and class leading acceleration from very low rpms.
- Maximum torque occurs at 2,500 rpm while maximum power occurs at 4,500 rpm, providing exciting acceleration with great pulse and torque feel.
- Traditional pushrod valve actuation keeps engine height down for a lower centre of gravity and ensures more uniform heat dissipation due to absence of a cam chain case. A lower centre of gravity helps to ensure light, easy handling.
- Four-valve cylinder heads provide optimal breathing efficiency for great power delivery at all rpms. The two spark plugs per cylinder means faster, more complete combustion for maximum power output.
- Cylinder heads utilizes a pent roof combustion chamber design and features an oil passage near the exhaust valve seat to improve cooling and durability. The heads also feature engine mounting points on each side of the head for increased chassis rigidity for exceptional handling.
- Large size valves increase engine horsepower and torque. The intake valves are 36mm in diameter while the exhaust valves are 31mm.
- Specially designed valve train includes short design intake and exhaust rocker arms that reduce inertia during higher-rpm use.
- High performance spec twin, crankcase-mounted, high-lift cams ensure strong torque and class leading acceleration.
- Mechanical centrifugal decompression mechanism located in each of the exhaust camshafts, ensures fast, easy starts.
- Hydraulic valve lifters driven by the twin camshafts deliver exceptional performance and significantly reduce maintenance and tune-up requirements.
- The crankshaft is a single pin design, providing that special V-twin sound and pulse feel. Optimized flywheel mass and "damper-less" crankshaft allows the rider to feel the directness of the engine’s power.
- For each rotation of the rear wheel, in 5th gear, the crank spins 3.14 times providing an outstanding rear wheel driving force feeling to the rider.
- Dual engine counter balancers reduce vibration for exceptional rider and passenger comfort. The balancers are positioned on either end of the crankshaft to reduce vibration and to minimize the size of the engine cases. The balancer is designed to reduce vibration while still allowing that classic V-twin pulse feel.
- 3-axis crankcase layout means the crankshaft, main axle and drive shaft are specially arranged to minimize the size of the engine cases and centralize mass.
- The dry sump oil lubrication system has been optimized to ensure maximum lubrication and cooling. Special oil nozzles direct oil at the bottom of the pistons to cool and lubricate them. Dry sump system means a more compact engine design since the oil tank is not part of the engine, which lowers the centre of gravity for great handling and a light feel.
- Special "dual chamber" crankcase design. The front section is for the crank assembly while the rear is for the transmission. Two, 3-rotor high capacity oil pumps optimizes oil flow in each of the two main sections of the engine.
- Huge 100mm ceramic composite-plated cylinder bores provide uniform heat dissipation, reduce weight, reduce friction and increase cylinder service life.
- Large-diameter 100mm pistons are both durable and lightweight. Yamaha’s exclusive "controlled forged construction" keeps the pistons light for faster response and to accommodate higher rpms with reduced vibration and less reciprocating mass. The pistons feature an Alumite coating to reduce friction.
- Cooling fin thickness and depth is optimized for maximum heat dissipation, thereby eliminating the need for liquid cooling, while maintaining that traditional, stylish air-cooled engine appearance. Each cooling fin is specially polished to create shining highlights that change with the angle of the light.
- 43mm, twin-bore, downdraft throttle body fuel injection (FI) with throttle position sensor (TPS) ensures great throttle response and maximum power throughout the rev range. This system is a "closed loop" system, since it utilizes an oxygen sensor in the exhaust to monitor the concentration of oxygen and adjust the FI system if necessary. The benefits of fuel injection include chokeless operation, increased fuel economy, instant throttle response and reduced emissions.
- The 12-hole, 2-directional Mikuni fuel injectors produce a wide spray pattern for complete cylinder filling. This special spray pattern combined with the dual spark plug heads ensures complete combustion for maximum power. An Idle Speed Control (ISC) has been adopted to ensure stable idling performance.
- High capacity electronic fuel pump is located in the sub fuel tank under the seat.
- State-of-the-art Electronic Control Unit (ECU) ensures precisely metered fuel delivery and optimal ignition spark control using 3D mapping for each cylinder.
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (T.C.I.) provides a hot spark for sure starts and strong engine performance.
- 3.5 litre dual inlet air box features one inlet at the front and one at the rear of the air box for maximum breathing efficiency. This design not only maximizes air flow but also reduces weight and allows for a more open appearance at the steering head area. A viscous paper type air filter is used.
- Air Induction System (AIS) injects fresh oxygen at the exhaust port to ensure complete combustion thereby reducing harmful exhaust emissions (HC & CO) while a special air cut valve reduces backfiring when decelerating or coasting off throttle.
- High-performance, 2-into-1-into-2 exhaust system features large size header pipes for maximum flow. Dual 3-way honeycomb matrix catalyizers reduce harmful exhaust emissions. The stylish dual muffler helps to boost torque and horsepower while producing a throaty, V-twin growl. Heat shields protect the rider and passenger from hot components.
- The exhaust system also features a lightweight titanium EXUP exhaust power valve most commonly found on high performance sport bikes. The EXUP system not only provides crisp throttle response and eliminates ’flat spots" but also improves acceleration, reduces fuel consumption and harmful emissions too.
- Smooth-shifting, 5-speed transmission features optimized gear ratios for both strong low rpm acceleration and relaxed highway cruising. 5th gear is an overdrive gear for reduced engine rpms at highway speeds for maximum riding comfort.
- "Assist and slipper clutch" features a heavy duty 10 plate hydraulically operated wet clutch that reduces clutch lever pull / effort at the handlebar by 20%, for reduced hand fatigue and improved rider comfort. This clutch design also features a back torque limiter function (also known as a slipper clutch). The slipper function helps to reduce the sharp effects of engine braking when downshifting. The end result is an easier to use clutch and smoother down shifting for an enhanced cruising / touring experience. This clutch is operated by hydraulic master cylinder instead of a cable. The hydraulic clutch design is low maintenance, self-adjusting and very stylish.
- Low-maintenance belt drive system not only significantly reduces maintenance but is also clean and quiet. A belt drive system uses less power than a shaft drive and reduces unsprung weight for great rear suspension performance. The belt is embedded with carbon fibre cords for incredible strength and durability
- Easy access, spin-on type oil filter means fast, easy oil changes.
- High tech, ast aluminium double-cradle frame reduces weight, while balancing strength and rigidity. The engine is a stressed member in the frame for added rigidity. The critical head pipe area features box type construction for additional strength. The frame not only provides excellent handling characteristics but also compliments the beautiful flowing lines of the entire machine. The open area behind and below the steering head helps to enhance that "chopper inspired" styling image. The main front wire harness is hidden in the head pipe for a clean appearance.
Important Note: Raked out front fork with lots of trail generally provides good straight line stability but often results in heavy steering. The engineers at Yamaha will not sacrifice handling for styling, so they have developed a 6 degree yoke offset angle combined with a 34 degree steering head for a total fork angle of 40 degrees. The Raider provides light "athletic handling and easy steering" not commonly found on a custom styled bike. This bike was designed to be ridden !! Key numbers: 6 degree yoke offset angle; 34 degree caster angle; 102mm of trail.
- Lightweight C.F. die cast aluminium swingarm offers superb rigidity and ensures excellent stability and handling. The C.F. die casting process allows for beautiful shapes that are both strong and light. This swingarm is a fashion statement in aluminium and compliments the rest of the Raider’s eye catching styling.
- Rigid 46mm Kayaba front fork offers 130mm (5.1") of wheel travel for exceptionally stable handling and great ride comfort. The inner fork tubes are protected by stylish chrome chip guards.
- Beefy, cast aluminium, top triple clamp and computer designed lower triple clamp with a 6 degree yoke offset angle provides excellent handling qualities while maintaining that custom chopper inspired styling.
- Link rear suspension features a spring preload adjustable single rear shock delivering outstanding ride comfort and precise handling. The Kayaba shock is horizontally positioned under the engine lowering the centre of gravity for great handling. The shock is hidden to provide that classic "hardtail" look. Rear wheel travel is 90mm (3.5").
- Powerful dual 298mm floating front discs are squeezed by ultra rigid, 4-piston, monoblock calipers to provide sport-bike spec stopping power with great lever feel and feedback.
- Beautiful custom looking 5-spoke cast aluminium 21" front wheel provides a special styling highlight. The width is 3.50 inches wide and is fitted with a 120/70 profile tire. The rear wheel is also a custom inspired 5-spoke, 18 inch cast aluminium mag design that is 7.5 inches wide. This rear wheel carries the widest rear tire ever installed on a Yamaha motorcycle … it is a 210 / 40 tire. Both wheels are fitted with tubeless tires.
- Large 310mm rear disc is squeezed by a single piston caliper mounted below the swingarm for a lower center of gravity and that customized "hidden look".
- Two-piece seat design features a deep notch in the rider seat to give that chopper inspired riding position … more sitting in than sitting on. The rear portion of the rider’s seat also doubles as a back support for the rider.
- 60/55w headlight with unique custom inspired styling can be adjusted up and down and left or right .
- Steel fenders front and rear can be easily customized or painted to suit personal preferences. Custom styled one piece rear fender mounts.
- Flangeless teardrop style main fuel tank offers 12 litres of capacity. There are no welds visible, providing that clean, custom look. Total fuel capacity is 16 litres thanks to a 4 litre sub tank located low in the frame below the seat. A high pressure electric fuel pump with quick connect fittings provides fuel to the FI system.
- Large 1.25" diameter handlebars. All electrical wires are hidden inside the handlebars for that clean custom look. Selected meter functions can be controlled by buttons on the back of RHS switch gear.
- Classic fuel tank mounted instrument panel. This comprehensive instrumentation includes an analogue speedo, and fuel gauge with low fuel warning light, plus a digital odometer, dual tripmeters, fuel reserve trip counter and clock. Background illumination can be adjusted to suit personal preferences. Reset buttons are located on the instrument panel while the select switch is located on the left hand switch gear so you can tab through the various functions without removing your hands from the handlebars.
- Extra wide, brake and clutch levers provide that quality feel and look.
- Brilliant LED rear tail light not only uses less power but is also more durable than a conventional bulb design.
Special styling features:
- Chrome headlight mounts
- Black headlight shell/body
- Black turn signals with clear lenses
- Black lower fork legs
- Black upper & lower triple clamps
- Black handlebar clamp
- Black engine covers with limited chrome accents
- Black & brushed aluminium wheel accents
- Black handlebar switches
- Black front calipers
- Black master cylinders (brake & clutch)
- Industry-leading, Star family fit and finish
- Numerous custom inspired styling highlights (headlight stay, handlebar holders, rear fender stays, mirrors, footpegs etc.) found throughout the Raider create a machine as stunning as it is powerful.
- Self-cancelling chromed turn signals with stylish clear lenses
- Low-fuel warning light (activated with 3 litres of fuel remaining)
- Low maintenance sealed battery
- Steering lock
- Helmet holder
- Upper and lower belt guards
- Left-thumb operated high-beam switch, and right-thumb activated accessory driving light switch for great visibility.
- Jewel-like fit and finish, and Star quality paint, chrome and attention to detail are evident all over the Raider.
- Cool, tank-mounted instrumentation complements the custom look, and contains analog speedometer and fuel gauge, along with twin digital tripmeters, odometer and self-diagnostics.
- Bright multireflector headlight, LED taillight and amber turn signals behind clear lenses give a custom look.
- 02 sensor and three-way catalyst reduce emissions.
|US MSRP Price||$14,990|
|Engine||113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled V-twin OHV, 4 valves/cylinder|
|Bore x Stroke||100.0 x 118.0mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Twin-Bore electronic fuel injection; throttle position sensor|
|Ignition TCI||Transistor Controlled Ignition|
|Transmission||5-speed, multiplate wet clutch|
|Suspension / Front||Telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel|
|Suspension / Rear||Swingarm; 3.5-in travel|
|Brakes / Front||Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm|
|Brakes / Rear||Hydraulic disc, 310mm|
|Tires / Front||120/70-21M/C 62H|
|Tires / Rear||210/40-18M/C 73H|
|Seat Height||27.4 in|
|Ground Clearance||5.7 in|
|Fuel Capacity||4.2 gal|
|Fuel Economy||42 mpg|
|Wet Weight||730 lb|
|Warranty||1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)|
The Yamaha Star Raider is a young motorcycle that has the looks of a modern chopper and the matching technology. The idea behind the new Raider was to fit it with as many factory features as possible to minimize the need for expensive aftermarket accessories.
The end result is quite impressive and we’ll have to admit that the 2014 Raider has a pretty impressive pedigree. It also comes with a pretty decent base price rated at $14,990.
Another aspect that is worthy to be thrown into discussion is the motorcycle’s rake angle that is smaller than the other cruisers in Yamaha’s lineup. This detail gives the bike a fairly distinctive look and luckily, it doesn’t affect its handling abilities. Though, the stretched rake translates into a pretty stretched riding position which is a bit uncomfortable for long journeys.
As far as the ride quality is concerned, the suspensions are a bit hard which under certain conditions could make the ride a bit choppy.
Like any Yamaha, the 2014 Raider is one of the most reliable custom-style cruisers from the market, so you won’t be disappointed by this aspect either. You also get first class fit and finish and every detail received maximum attention from Yamaha’s technicians.