2014 Yamaha YZ250
Meet the 2014 Yamaha – an agile motocross motorcycle aimed at dirt-riding lovers. One of the main concerns of Yamaha’s engineers before designing the YZ250 was to make it as light as possible. Therefore there is no wonder why the end result is so impressive, as the motorcycle’s wet weight is rated at only 227 lb.
To achieve this low weight Yamaha fitted the YZ250 with a light aluminum frame and swingarm which also play an important role in keeping the bike’s handling performances at a high level.
Besides the light frame, the bike is also equipped with similarly light 21-inch front and 19-inch rear Excel rims shod in rugged 80/100-21-51M front and 110/90-19-62M rear tyres.
The motorcycle’s center piece is a liquid-cooled 2-stroke; reed-valve inducted, 249 cc engine which is mated on a constant mesh transmission with wet, multiplate clutch.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2014 Yamaha YZ250.
2014 Yamaha YZ250
Engine:Liquid-cooled 2-stroke; reed-valve inducted
Transmission:Constant-mesh 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
The 2-Stroke lives! The YZ250 is the standard by which every other 250cc 2-stroke motocross bike wishes they could live up to. With giggle inducing power, unbelievable lightweight handling and legendary Yamaha durability. Plus, 2-strokes are easier and cost less to maintain!
2014 Yamaha YZ250 Key Features:
- A light aluminum frame housing a patented YPVS® Power valve-equipped ripper of an engine results in an awesome power-to-weight ratio.
- The YZ250 is ready to race out of the crate, complete with an aluminum handlebar, titanium foot pegs, gripper seat, and Excel® rims.
- Ultra lightweight means nimble handling with less fatigue.
- 249cc liquid-cooled reed-valve-inducted two-stroke engine is lightweight, compact, and features an incredibly wide, hard-hitting powerband.
- Patented YPVS power-valve system combines crisp, hard-hitting, bottom-end acceleration with strong midrange and eye-opening top-end.
- Special-design carbon fiber reed-valve petals improve throttle response and engine performance across the entire rpm range.
- Smooth-shifting, five-speed, close-ratio transmission with heavy-duty, multiplate clutch.
- Primary kickstarter ensures smooth, easy starting action and reduced weight.
- Large-capacity radiator features a ten-row core with four louvers for maximum cooling efficiency.
- 38mm Keihin® PWK carburetor with power jet and throttle position sensor (TPS) ensures precise fuel/air mixing and extra-crisp throttle response throughout the powerband.
- Digital CDI ignition system delivers precise spark for faster, stronger response anywhere in the powerband.
- Trick, works-style clutch lever features race-spec barrel adjuster for on-the-fly adjustability.
- YZ250F-style front-brake caliper and wave-style front and rear discs minimize unsprung weight and provide excellent stopping power.
- The KYB® 48mm forks feature the Speed-Sensitive System that uses piston speed to control damping force for super-precise handling and a smooth ride.
- A carefully engineered, advanced aluminum frame and swingarm give the YZ250 the best handling in the 250 class.
- Removable aluminum rear subframe is constructed of square-section tubing for reduced weight.
- Rear, fully adjustable KYB® shock features a super-light titanium shock spring and reduced-friction Kashima coating of internals. 12.4 inches of travel, separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping, and a full lock oil rebound system for increased comfort all add up to fantastic rear wheel control and a sweet ride.
- Lightweight 21-inch front and 19-inch rear Excel® rims provide exceptional durability and help reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension, performance, and handling.
- Tapered rear wheel spacers ease sliding the rear wheel into place for quicker tire changes.
- Premium Dunlop® knobbies offer race-spec traction and wear.
- Wide, cleated, folding titanium foot pegs are lightweight and provide excellent comfort, grip, and ground clearance.
- Special-design “gripper” type seat and fuel tank, forward-canted steering crown and low handlebar provide excellent movement and more comfortable ergonomics for riders.
- Wide-diameter fuel tank cap ensures easier usage, while larger tank opening means faster, hassle-free refueling.
- A light and strong aluminum handlebar in adjustable mounts means comfort and control.
- Premium drive chain has gold-colored plates for outstanding looks.
- Use of light box-head bolts throughout the chassis eases maintenance while reducing weight and increasing performance.
- Repackable exhaust silencer.
- Durable, comfortable handlebar grips.
|Engine type||Liquid-cooled 2-stroke; reed-valve inducted|
|Bore x Stroke||66.4 x 72.0mm|
|Compression Ratio||8.9 10.6:1|
|Fuel Delivery||Keihin® PWK38S|
|Transmission||Constant-mesh 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch|
|Final Drive||Chain Drive|
|Suspension / Front||Speed-Sensitive System inverted fork; fully adjustable, 11.8-in travel|
|Suspension / Rear||Fully adjustable single shock, 12.4-in travel|
|Brakes / Front||Hydraulic single disc brake, 250mm|
|Brakes / Rear||Hydraulic single disc brake, 245mm|
|Tires / Front||80/100-21-51M|
|Tires / Rear||110/90-19-62M|
|Seat Height||39.1 in|
|Ground Clearance||15.0 in|
|Fuel Capacity||2.1 gal|
|Wet Weight***||227 lb|
|Warranty||30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)|
* Price and Specifications subject to change without notice. Please read your Owner’s Manual and all labels before operation.
** Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your, vechile, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
*** Wet weight includes the vechile with all standart equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisions with other models.