2014 Yamaha YZF-R6
There is no secret that the Yamaha YZF-R6 is considered by many one of the most capable middleweight bikes from the streets and competes with success against models like the Honda CBR600 or Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R.
With the 2014 model year the YZF-R6 continues to keep its place among the best bikes in the 600cc class. Unfortunately there aren’t any major upgrades for the new model year, but this isn’t as bad as it sounds, as the bike has all it needs to remain on top of the food chain.
With features such as chip-controlled intake and throttle, dual fuel injectors per cylinder and the state of the art slipper clutch, the 2014 Yamaha YZF-R6 is ready to impress you with a unique riding experience.
The motorcycle’s skeleton is represented by a Deltabox aluminum frame and a magnesium subframe that were carefully forged to offer a perfect compromise between lightness and rigidity.
To be able to offers top notch performances in terms of ride and handling, the motorcycle also needed a set of spot-tuned suspensions. Therefore, both the front and rear suspensions are 4-way adjustable with preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping.
Power comes from Yamaha’s liquid-cooled, 599cc, inline 4-cylinder; DOHC engine with 16 titanium valves.
The 2014 Yamaha YZF-R6 will be launched in showrooms in October 2013 with a base price of $10,990.
Hit the jump for more information on the Yamaha YZF-R6
2014 Yamaha YZF-R6
Engine:Liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 titanium valves
Energy:Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
From winning the Daytona 200 to conquering the urban maze, the YZF-R6 turns heads as effortlessy as it does corners. Light, powerful, and britstiling with nearly every cutting-edge innovation, it features a taut, tunable chassis that lets it maneuver from upright to full lean instantly - and carve tight, perfect lines. If you’re searching for the ultimate 600, look no further.
2014 Yamaha YZF-R6 Key Features:
- * Light, powerful, and bristling with knowledge gained from years of racing, the YZF-R6 is the most advanced production 600cc motorcycle Yamaha—or anybody else—has ever built.
- * The YZF-R6 was the first production motorcycle with YCC-T® , Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle system-for flawless response under all conditions.
- * YCC-I®, Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake, is used on the R6 to vary intake tract length for excellent cylinder filling and a broader powerband.
- * Back torque-limiting slipper-type clutch greatly facilitates braking/downshifting from high speed. Close-ratio 6-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration.
- * Compact, lightweight 67mm x 42.5mm, 599cc DOHC 16-valve, liquid-cooled titanium-valved four-cylinder has a compression ratio of 13.1:1, for great response. Domed pistons with valve cutouts produce a compact combustion chamber.
- * Fuel injection mapping for the YCC-T—Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle dual-injector system complements the high compression ratio for great throttle response and reduced engine braking.
- * YCC-I—Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake electronically varies intake tract length for a broader powerband.
- * YCC-T—Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle uses a powerful ECU and multiple sensors to provide perfect, smooth engine response and optimal power whenever the throttle is twisted under all conditions.
- * Twin-injector fuel injection: shower-type injectors above each intake funnel help achieve optimum fuel atomization at high rpm.
- * Slipper-type back torque-limiting clutch greatly facilitates braking and downshifting from high speed. Close-ratio six-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration.
- * GP-style titanium muffler contributes to mass centralization and contains EXUP® for a broad powerband, and 02 sensor for spot-on injection and emissions compliance.
- * Linerless, direct-plated ceramic-composite cylinder bores mean greater heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced friction.
- * Cool magnesium valve and engine covers are light and stylish.
- * Direct-ignition coils, dual-electrode spark plugs and high-output magneto deliver extremely accurate, reliable firing.
- * A magnesium subframe removes weight from the rear of the motorcycle for increased mass centralization.
- * aluminum frame incorporates GP thinking in terms of engine positioning and rigidity for the ultimate in 600-class handling.
- * The lightweight swingarm pivots high in the frame, for increased anti-squat effect and mid-corner stability. TZ-type chain adjusters ease rear tire changes.
- * Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) inverted fork with 41mm tubes increases freedom in setting up for street or track use; soak up the bumps and resist bottoming when braking.
- * Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) piggyback rear shock delivers exceptional rear wheel tracking and stability.
- * 310mm front disc brakes use forged one-piece radial-mount calipers and radial-pump front master cylinder with adjustable lever for astounding braking power and feel.
- * casting technique for the five-spoke 17-inch wheels makes the rims light and strong, not to mention wickedly cool-looking.
- * rear shock spacer and adjustable fork ride height allows the rider to tailor the ride position for the best fit and comfort.
- * Built-in lap timer is controlled by a right handlebar switch.
- * Multifunction digital and analog instrumentation features: programmable shift light, digital speedometer, analog tachometer, dual tripmeters with miles-on-reserve function, odometer, water temp gauge and lights for neutral, high beam, low fuel and turn signals.
|Engine type||Liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 titanium valves|
|Bore x Stroke||67.0 x 42.5mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I|
|Ignition||TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition|
|Transmission||6-speed w/multiplate slipper clutch|
|Final Drive||O-ring chain|
|Suspension / Front||41mm inverted fork; 4-way adjustable, 4.5-in travel|
|Suspension / Rear||Single shock; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel|
|Brakes / Front||Dual 310mm floating disc; radial-mount 4-piston calipers|
|Brakes / Rear||220mm disc; single-piston caliper|
|Tires / Front||120/70-ZR17 58W|
|Tires / Rear||180/55-ZR17 73W|
|Seat Height||33.5 in|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||24°|
|Oil Capacity (with oil filter change)||2.75 qt|
|Fuel Capacity||4.5 gal|
|Fuel Economy**||40 mpg|
|Wet Weight***||417 lb|
|Primary Reduction Ratio||85/41 (2.073)|
|Secondary Reduction Ratio||45/16 (2.813)|
|Gear Ratio - 1st Gear||31/12 (2.583)|
|Gear Ratio - 2nd Gear||32/16 (2.000)|
|Gear Ratio - 3rd Gear||30/18 (1.667)|
|Gear Ratio - 4th Gear||26/18 (1.444)|
|Gear Ratio - 5th Gear||27/21 (1.286)|
|Gear Ratio - 6th Gear||23/20 (1.150)|
|Warranty||1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)|
* Price and Specifications subject to change without notice. Please read your Owner’s Manual and all labels before operation.
** Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your, vechile, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
*** Wet weight includes the vechile with all standart equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisions with other models.
The R6 delivers all the precision and agility of a sportsbike and at the same time, it remains reasonably comfortable. Luckily, the brakes are fairly reliable and at high speeds the motorcycle remains relatively stable despite its light weight.
The engine pulls decently at low rpms, but if you want strong bottom end power and impressive mid-range than you should look for another bike. After you’ll play around for a while you’ll find out that the R6’s engine responds best above 10,000rpm and once it’s unleashed you certainly be more than pleased.