2015 Yamaha FZ-09
The FZ‑09 combines a powerful 850cc, triple cylinder engine with light handling all at a great value.
With the 847cc liquid-cooled, in-line 3-cylinder, DOHC, 12-valve engine with fuel injection, this FZ-09™ engine combines advanced high tech components including YCC-T® and Yamaha D-Mode, with a crossplane concept crankshaft to deliver an exciting, torquey and quick-revving engine character.
Continue reading for more information on the 2015 Yamaha FZ-09.
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Key Features:
- “Crossplane Crankshaft Concept” provides linear torque development in response to the rider’s throttle input. Among the advantages of the in-line 3-cylinder engine are: (1) linear torque development, (2) even firing intervals that provide smooth torque characteristics and a good feeling of power in the low to mid rpm range, (3) a light, slim and compact design, and (4) performance that combines the characteristics of both 2-cylinder and 4-cylinder engines.
- A 6-speed transmission has been adopted to match the engine. The transmission has optimized gear ratios that help to deliver engine torque efficiently. The result is a transmission that helps bring out more of the low- to mid-speed torque and excellent response characteristics.
- The ride-by-wire Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) system senses the slightest throttle input by the rider, relays the data to the ECU, which instantaneously calculates the ideal throttle valve opening based on engine rpm and throttle opening, and then sends commands to a servo-motor actuator that moves the throttle valve which actively controls the intake airflow volume. This is a technology contributing to the rider’s feeling of torque and controllability from the 3-cylinder engine.
- The FZ-09 is equipped with Yamaha D-MODE (or “Drive Mode”) variable throttle control system to allow the rider to choose the optimum engine character for their riding situation. The rider can choose at will from three throttle valve control maps (Standard Mode, “A” Mode, and “B” Mode) for different performance characteristics. Operation is performed by a button on the handlebars. STD Mode is set to accommodate a wide range of riding conditions. In this mode the rider can enjoy the 3-cylinder engine’s linear torque feeling from low speeds all the way up to high speeds. A-Mode lets the rider enjoy sharper throttle response in the low-to mid-rpm range than the STD Mode. B-Mode lets the rider enjoy milder throttle response than the STD Mode for more relaxed power characteristics.
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Features and Benefits:
- 847cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke, in-line 3-cylinder, DOHC, 4-valve engine with downdraft intake and fuel injection. With a 78 x 59.1mm bore x stroke and 11.5:1 compression ratio, it produces an exciting, torquey and quick-revving engine character.
- Some of the advantages of the 3-cylinder engine in the FZ-09 include linear torque development due to the even firing intervals that provide smooth torque characteristics and a good feeling of power up into the low to mid rpm range, as well as combining desirable characteristics of both 2-cylinder and 4-cylinder engines. In addition, the engine design can be light, slim and compact.
- To reduce vibration and help give a smoother ride, the engine has a primary coupled-force balancer that revolves in the opposite direction and at the same speed as the crankshaft.
- The connecting rods are made using the fracture split (FS) method to ensure a high degree of circular precision in the rod’s big-end ring for a precise fit and smoother crank revolution. The fracture split (FS) method is where the big-end ring of a forged connecting rod is split in two by applying a sharp impact. This creates a perfectly matching split surface that naturally produces a much more precise mating surface when they are bolted together again around the crankshaft.
- To provide both exciting and quick revving torque characteristics and a unique intake sound, the 3-cylinder intake funnels have been designed with uneven lengths. The first cylinder funnel is 102.8mm, the second 82.8mm and the third is 122.8mm. This combines with the effects of the YCC-T system to contribute to an excellent torquey engine character.
- The FZ-09 transmission takes full advantage of the low-to-mid-range torque and excellent response characteristics of this in-line, 3-cylinder fuel-injected engine. The 6-speed transmission has been designed to be very compact, enhancing the overall narrow 3-cylinder design.
- The wheelbase, seat height, fuel tank width, rake and other dimensions are all set to work with the qualities of the compact 3-cylinder engine to achieve a sporty, light and neutral handling character, an upright riding position and a narrow feeling chassis at the seat/tank junction.
- For excellent damping characteristics, the front suspension is an inverted fork with 41mm inner tubes with 5.4 inches of travel. The front suspension features adjustment for spring preload and rebound damping.
- The rear suspension features a linked-type Monocross® shock. The shock is positioned below the seat and features an almost horizontal alignment. This unique positioning contributes to mass centralization and a slimmer body design. The rear suspension is also adjustable for spring preload and rebound damping. These adjustments allow for different riding conditions and rider preferences.
- 10-spoke lightweight cast aluminum wheels are used, fitted with a 120/70ZR17 front tire and 180/55ZR17 rear tire. The tires have been designed with an optimally-tuned internal structure that contributes to good handling stability.
- Front brakes consist of two floating 298mm discs with 4-pot opposed piston calipers. The calipers are radial mounted.
- The aluminum, tapered-type handlebars – a first for a Yamaha sportbike – provide a good balance of strength and light weight.
- The fuel tank, with its deeply recessed knee grip area, contributes to a narrow seat/tank juncture.
- Compact, hexagonal-type rearview mirrors match the “mass forward” design of the rest of the bike.
- A newly designed lightweight, compact, full LCD instrument panel is adopted. The tachometer has a digital bar-type display with gear position indicator. The electric starter button is a new slide-type that incorporates the engine cut-off switch is an integrated button for a modern and high quality appearance.
- The brake pedal, shift pedal, and footrests are made of forged aluminum for light weight and excellent appearance.
- The LED taillight has separate left and right lamps that illuminate when the taillight is on and across the entire lens when the brake light is on.
|Engine Type||Liquid-cooled inline 3-cylinder; DOHC, 12 valves|
|Bore x Stroke||78.0 x 59.1mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Fuel Injection|
|Ignition||TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition|
|Transmission||6-speed; multiplate wet clutch|
|Final Drive||O-ring chain|
|Suspension / Front||41mm fork; adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.4-in travel|
|Suspension / Rear||Single shock; adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.1-in travel|
|Brakes / Front||Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm|
|Brakes / Rear||Hydraulic disc, 245mm|
|Tires / Front||120/70-ZR17|
|Tires / Rear||180/55-ZR17|
|Seat Height||32.1 in|
|Ground Clearance||5.3 in|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||25.0°|
|Fuel Capacity||3.7 gal|
|Fuel Economy||44 mpg|
|Wet Weight||414 lb|
|Warranty||1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)|
|Color Options||Matte Gray, Matte Silver, Cadmium Yellow|
“The 2015 Yamaha FZ-09 combines a powerful 847cc, triple cylinder crossplane crank concept engine with a slim, ultra lightweight design for incredible handling, all at an amazingly low price. Introducing the 2015 FZ-09, a naked sports roadster powered by a liquid-cooled, 850 cc in-line 3-cylinder, fuel-injected engine. The FZ-09 has been developed around the concept of a "Synchronized Performance", that allows a rider to enjoy the feeling of complete control in typical everyday riding situations. In other words, the FZ-09 has been designed to respond to your every command.” ----- Total Motorcycle
“The FZ-09 has had no mechanical issues, and only scheduled maintenance has been necessary. The first oil change was at 4,000 miles, and 2.4 liters of new Motorex Sport Max 4T in 15w-50 ($7.95 per liter) handled the job (a new filter is not called for until the next service). Sport Max is “a premium quality, mineral-based formula aimed at the price-conscious street and off-road motorcyclist,” Motorex says. Even though we’ve spent quite a bit on other items, we thought a less-expensive oil was perfect for our bargain middleweight.” ----- Cycle World