2013 Zero FX ZF2.8 / Zero FX ZF5.7
With every year that passes the segment of the electric motorcycles becomes stronger and these bikes are starting to be considered a viable option for those who put efficiency on the first place.
The Zero company is considered by many the best in the business when it comes to electric bikes and its FX model is one of the toughest models out there. It is a rugged, agile and efficient bike designed to deal effortless with a wide range of terrains.
The 2013 Zero FX weighs only 106 kg and is propelled by a 70 ft-lbs, 44 hp motor. The engine is powered by a modular power pack system which is available in two configurations: ZF2.8 (one module), ZF5.7 (two modules).
The 2013 ZF2.8 can be yours for $9,495.00, while the ZF5.7 is priced at $11,990.00.
Hit the jump for more information on the Zero FX ZF2.8 and Zero FX ZF5.7.
2013 Zero FX ZF2.8 / Zero FX ZF5.7
Engine:Z-Force™ 75-5 passively air-cooled, high efficiency, radial flux permanent magnet, brushless motor
Transmission:Clutchless direct drive|Clutchless direct drive
Horsepower @ RPM:33 @ 3700
Torque @ RPM:70
Energy:Z-Force™ Li-Ion intelligent modular
Top Speed:85 mph
COMPLETELY NEW FOR 2013
Max Torque Deployed
The Zero FX boasts more torque and acceleration than any other in the history of Zero Motorcycles. It is the ultimate ‘do anything’ and ‘ride anywhere’ urban motorcycle. At 70 ft-lbs, 44 hp and a low weight of only 275 lbs the Zero FX launches off the line and pulls hard at any RPM. Capable of molding to any rider’s desires, the performance characteristics of the Zero FX can be tailored to the rider’s specifications via Bluetooth and a compatible mobile device. Built off of the full-sized championship-winning Zero MX platform, it leverages the same off-road suspension to allow thrill-seeking riders to explore both on and off-road terrain. Visually distinct, the Zero FX is available strictly in all black with a subtle and sophisticated graphics package.
The Zero FX features the world’s first truly modular power pack system and is available in two configurations: ZF2.8 (one module), ZF5.7 (two modules). The lockable modules can be individually added or removed, regardless of state of charge, in less than a minute. As with the rest of the 2013 lineup, the Zero FX can be charged to 95% at CHAdeMO charging stations in an hour or less using an optional accessory. Making ownership easy, the sealed Z-Force™ motor, belt drive and highly efficient power pack virtually eliminates all routine powertrain maintenance.
DO ANYTHING. RIDE ANYWHERE.
You’ve never experienced power and freedom like this. All those things you wished you could get away with… they just became possible. It is said that, “Absolute power corrupts absolutely.” Just in case you find that to be true, hit the eco-switch.
Delivering a nearly instantaneous 70 ft lbs of torque, 44 hp and with a low weight of only 275 lbs, the Zero FX takes urban riding to all-new levels. Stealthily ride at any hour of the day, or night, on a motorcycle that distills riding into its most basic and adrenaline pumping elements.
Tempting you to ride on any terrain that crosses your path, the Zero FX chassis hail from Zero Motorcycles’ championship winning Zero MX platform and features the most advanced Z-Force™ technology yet.
Equipped with a maintenance-free powertrain, belt drive and fully modular power pack system, no riding time is wasted and each mile ridden only costs around a penny in electricity.
GAME CHANGING Z-FORCE™ POWER PACK
THE WORLD’S FIRST TRULY MODULAR SYSTEM
The Zero FX features the world’s first truly modular power pack system. With slots for two power packs, you can operate the Zero FX with either one or both slots filled. Giving you the ability to charge without a street-level outlet, the modules can be charged either on the motorcycle or elsewhere using an optional accessory. The modules also work with optional CHAdeMO and quick-charge accessories to reduce charge times from 0-95% down to one hour.
The Zero FX can be purchased with either one module (ZF2.8) or two modules (ZF5.7). Compatible with the Zero XU and Zero MX, the modules can be swapped between any one of the three motorcycles.
- * World’s first fully modular Z-Force™ quick-swap technology allows you to easily upgrade from 2.8 kWh (max) to 5.7kWh (max) in seconds
- * State of the art new power pack configuration and cell chemistry
- * Cells last 2,500 full charge-discharge cycles before hitting 80% capacity, yielding as much as 156,000 miles on the original power pack
- * Isolated power systems and 12 volt system for running accessories
- * Modules can be fully removed from the motorcycle and transported to charge anywhere (this requires the purchase of the stand-alone charger in the quick-charge option)
- * Modules can be used interchangeably with the Zero XU and Zero MX
- * Module locking system for increased security and peace of mind
- * Charge from 0-95% at CHAdeMO charging stations in 1 hour or less using an optional accessory
- * Onboard charger that uses a specially developed and optimized charge profile
REVOLUTIONARY Z-FORCE™ MOTOR
THRILLING ACCELERATION WITH 70 FT-LBS. TORQUE
The motor of the Zero FX is configured to produce more torque than any other motorcycle in the lineup. The result is thrilling acceleration. Zero Motorcycles designed the Z-Force™ motor from the ground up to be compact, efficient and powerful. Completely air cooled, the motor is designed to provide a fantastic riding experience minus the need for any regular maintenance. When slowing down, the motor generates electricity that is channeled back into the power pack to help extend ride times.
- * Designed from the ground up by Zero Motorcycles to be the world’s most efficient, powerful, compact, brushless and sealed air-cooled motor
- * Produces 44 hp and 70 ft-lbs of torque
- * Requires no routine maintenance
- * Operates with such high efficiency that it does not require any complex cooling system
- * Increased torque and broad power band for much stronger acceleration
- * Quad-level regenerative system recharges the power pack when decelerating
- * Re-gen level is increased during brake application vs. “neutral” deceleration
- * Both braking and “neutral” re-gen levels are set higher in Eco vs. Sport mode
- * Eco mode re-gen levels can be customized using the Zero Motorcycles App
PLUG IN AT ANY STANDARD OUTLET
The Zero FX charging system is integrated into the motorcycle and can be plugged in at any standard outlet. No additional equipment is required for standard charging. This allows you to conveniently charge in your garage, at the office or when you stop at one of your favorite places while enjoying a day out. Plug the Zero FX in during the evening, or while at the office, and it is ready to go when you are. Those interested in fast charging can reduce charge times from 0-95% to as little as one hour using the CHAdeMO accessory.
The Zero FX power pack modules can be removed from the motorcycle and charged separately using an optional accessory. This makes it possible to charge the modules anywhere you take them and thereby eliminates the necessity of a street-level outlet.
FRAME AND BODYWORK
LIGHT AIRCRAFT GRADE ALUMINUM
At the core of the Zero FX lies the ultimate dirt bike frame that Zero has engineered from the ground up and hand crafted using aircraft grade aluminum. The resulting combination of lower weight and higher strength means more responsiveness. In the corners and off the line this translates into greater acceleration. To make the frame even more durable each one is shot-peened and anodized.
- * Rigid, robust and lightweight frame
- * Hydroformed top tube for increased strength and reduced weight
- * Large cylindrical swingarm cross tube for increased stiffness and suspension response
- * Entire frame is shot-peened and anodized for resistance to corrosion and abrasion
- * Bodywork is highlighted with new graphics
SUSPENSION AND HANDLING
Whether in the city or enjoying an off-road exploit, the Zero FX uses a refined suspension system to absorb aggressive terrain. Taking advantage of the motorcycle’s low weight, the inverted front fork is robust, light and responsive. Riders can quickly dial it in using the externally adjustable compression and rebound damping. On the rear, a rigid double diamond swing arm keeps the wheel planted using a specially developed rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping.
- * Carefully tuned, balanced and improved suspension system:
- * Specially tuned for urban riding and occasional off-road use
- * Robust triple-clamps for improved bearing pre-loading and durability
- * Steel stanchions for increased strength, rigidity and control
- * Front adjustments: Compression and rebound damping
- * Rear adjustments: Spring preload, compression and rebound damping
- * Refined contact points:
- * Aggressive saw tooth profile footpegs to maintain foot position and control
- * Standardized footpeg clevis for greater aftermarket options
- * Handlebars with adjustable risers
- * Ergonomic riding position for better control
- * Comfortable seat to accommodate longer rides
ROBUST STOPPING POWER WITH NISSIN
Because you’ll be going faster in the corners and riding harder with instant torque at any RPM, the Zero FX features robust stopping power and a precise brake feel.
- * Nissin brakes are precise, easy to modulate and require little effort
- * Powerful and high performance braking system
- * Increased fade resistance
- * Steel braided lines for improved lever feel and precise brake modulation
- * Greater commonality using standard-size mount patterns
WHEELS AND TIRES
HOOK UP IN THE TURNS
The Zero FX alloy wheels are designed to reduce unsprung weight while not compromising on strength. During acceleration instant torque is efficiently channeled into motion through a beefy rear tire and directed using an equally aggressive front.
- * 21” front and 18” rear tires for improved off-road handling and more tire options
- * Aggressive dual sport tires (front and rear)
DIRECT DRIVE GEARING
INSTANT TORQUE WITH A TWIST
Featuring a clutchless direct drive, the Zero FX is geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency. Without ever needing to shift, the Zero FX provides controlled and powerful acceleration from any speed between 0-95mph. The carbon fiber belt allows the Zero FX to achieve minimal frictional losses for increased overall range and is integral to making the powertrain maintenance-free.
- * Sophisticatedly simple “just ride” direct-drive system means no clutch, no shifting and no need to carry a heavy and complex transmission
- * Maintenance-free and virtually silent belt drive system
- * Clutchless single speed that simplifies operation
- * Geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency
- * Adjustable rear axle to modify belt tension
DASH AND CONTROLS
WHAT YOU NEED. WHERE YOU NEED IT.
The dash is designed by Zero to quickly and accurately provide essential information on speed, charge and motor temperature. The Zero FX allows you to set the motorcycle’s performance to either Sport or Eco. Want more information about the motorcycle while riding or at home? Try the new Zero Motorcycles app.
- * Sport / Eco switch to allow you to select motorcycle performance
- * Exceptionally accurate charge indicator
- * Ergonomic and durable switch gear (for operation of lights, turn signals, etc.)
- * Keyed ignition switch and steering lock for improved security and peace of mind
- * Soft and more comfortable seat to accommodate longer rides
ZERO MOTORCYCLES APP
GET YOUR MOTORCYCLE DIALED
Using the new Zero Motorcycles app you can see detailed information about your motorcycle such as the time until charged, average watts per mile, total charge cycles and much more. When parked the app allows you to set custom parameters for top speed, maximum torque and maximum regenerative braking. While riding, your phone transforms into a customized dash that provides detailed real-time motorcycle information. Synced using Bluetooth, the app works on iPhone and Android mobile devices.
- * Bluetooth enabled connectivity for both iPhone and Android mobile devices
- * Adjustable motorcycle performance to enable sportier or more economical riding (customized setting is available through the ‘eco’ mode setting on the Zero FX)
- * Customizable display reports precise state of charge and real-time power usage while riding
|2013 ZERO FX||ZERO FX ZF2.8||ZERO FX ZF5.7|
|City||35 miles (56 km)||70 miles (113 km)|
|Highway, 55mph (88 km/h)||22 miles (35 km)||44 miles (71 km)|
|Combined||27 miles (43 km)||54 miles (87 km)|
|Highway, 70mph (112 km/h)||15 miles (24 km)||31 miles (50 km)|
|Combined||21 miles (34 km)||43 miles (69 km)|
|Max torque||70 ft-lb (95 Nm)||70 ft-lb (95 Nm)|
|Max power||27 hp (20 kW) @ 3,700 RPM||44 hp (33 kW) @ 3,700 RPM|
|Top speed (max)||85 mph (137 km/h)||85 mph (137 km/h)|
|Top speed (sustained)||70 mph (113 km/h)||70 mph (113 km/h)|
|Type||Z-Force™ 75-5 passively air-cooled, high efficiency, radial flux permanent magnet, brushless motor||Z-Force™ 75-5 passively air-cooled, high efficiency, radial flux permanent magnet, brushless motor|
|Controller||High efficiency, 420 amp, 3-phase brushless controller with re-generative deceleration||High efficiency, 420 amp, 3-phase brushless controller with re-generative deceleration|
|Est. pack life to 80% (city)||78,000 miles (126,000 km)||156,000 miles (252,000 km)|
|Power pack||Z-Force™ Li-Ion intelligent modular||Z-Force™ Li-Ion intelligent modular|
|Max capacity||2.8 kWh||5.7 kWh|
|Nominal capacity||2.5 kWh||5.0 kWh|
|Charger type||650 W, integrated||650 W, integrated|
|Charge time (standard)||4.1 hours (100% charged) / 3.7 hours (95% charged)||7.8 hours (100% charged) / 7.4 hours (95% charged)|
|CHAdeMO charge time (accessory)||1.5 hours (100% charged) / 1 hour (95% charged)||1.5 hours (100% charged) / 1 hour (95% charged)|
|Quick 2x charger time (accessory)||1.9 hours (100% charged) / 1.4 hours (95% charged)||3.3 hours (100% charged) / 2.8 hours (95% charged)|
|Input||Standard 110V or 220V||Standard 110V or 220V|
|Transmission||Clutchless direct drive||Clutchless direct drive|
|Final drive||132T / 25T, Poly Chain® GT® Carbon™ belt||132T / 25T, Poly Chain® GT® Carbon™ belt|
|Front suspension||38mm inverted, forks with adjustable compression and rebound damping||38mm inverted, forks with adjustable compression and rebound damping|
|Rear suspension||Remote reservoir shock with adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping||Remote reservoir shock with adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping|
|Front suspension travel||9.44 in (240 mm)||9.44 in (240 mm)|
|Rear suspension travel||8.94 in (227 mm)||8.94 in (227 mm)|
|Front brakes||Nissin 2 piston hydraulic, 221x4.5 mm disc||Nissin 2 piston hydraulic, 221x4.5 mm disc|
|Rear brakes||Nissin 1 piston hydraulic, 221x4.5 mm disc||Nissin 1 piston hydraulic, 221x4.5 mm disc|
|Wheel base||56.6 in (1,438 mm)||56.6 in (1,438 mm)|
|Seat height||35.4 in (899 mm)||35.4 in (899 mm)|
|Low seat height (accessory)||33.4 in (848 mm)||33.4 in (848 mm)|
|Rake||26.1 degrees||26.1 degrees|
|Trail||4.4 in (112 mm)||4.4 in (112 mm)|
|Frame||17.0 lb (7.7 kg)||17.0 lb (7.7 kg)|
|Curb weight||233 lb (106 kg)||275 lb (125 kg)|
|Carrying capacity||347 lb (157 kg)||305 lb (138 kg)|
|Equivalent fuel economy (city)||470 MPGe (0.50 L/100 km)||470 MPGe (0.50 L/100 km)|
|Equivalent fuel economy (highway)||207 MPGe (1.14 L/100 km)||212 MPGe (1.11 L/100 km)|
|Typical cost to recharge||$0.30||$0.60|